Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 06:17 PM

285 posts, read 617,296 times

Advertisements

Hurray for Austinitegirl and Pflugerville! Is anybody actually WATCHING what goes on in this "reality show" or do they just see the Save the Whales part and put their brain on coast? These whale war fighters are hoodlum idjits. They are so far out on the fringe that not even Greenpeace will cooperate with them. These people call themselves "eco-terrorists." Eco-Keystone pirates is closer. And yes I did watch several episodes...hadda quit. Their arrogance combined with their bumbling incompetence was just to painful to watch.

I agree that the Japanese are exploiting a legal loophole. I have never thought that it is/was OK to upheld the letter of the law but to trash the spirit of it. However, the thousands of $$$$$ being spent (1) on and by this ship's crew and (2) by the filming process could actually be spent in amanner that would actually help whales by changing the laws that allow this travesty to continue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 10:30 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,951,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
Ok, sorry to be the dissenting opinion here because I am an ardent animal lover and I think the Japanese are full of it, but I think the Sea Shepherd guys are just a bunch of hoodlums and probably setting back the cause rather than advancing it. They're pirates for heaven's sake! Just because they happen to be on the right side of the issue doesn't make their methods right.

I saw an interview with someone from Greenpeace, who thinks that these guys are too radical. OK, how bats**t crazy do you have to be for Greenpeace to say "no thanks?"

It's a loophole in the law that's allowing the Japanese to conduct their "research." Why doesn't this group (Sea Shepherds) focus their time and effort on closing that loophole to get whaling banned outright? Then, once the loophole is closed, they could get on their ships and chase after the outlaw Japanese ships with the law on their side instead of illegally boarding ships and causing international incidents.

I hate that this whaling is going on, but I think the Sea Shepherds come across as juvenile punks looking for an endorphine rush in the name of saving whales rather than attempting a productive solution to the problem. Wouldn't it be better to work with the Japanese government to get the leadership on your side rather than antagonizing them so that they work extra hard to keep the "research" whaling in place?
If you go to their website, they brag about how they fortified the bow of one of their first ships and used it to RAM a Japanese whaling vessel. I'm sorry, but regardless of your position on the whaling issue, this is malice with intent to injure.

I have no time for this Sea Shepherd stuff. It's a shame to see Steve Irwin's good name associated with these eco-thugs.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:23 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,301,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
Ok, sorry to be the dissenting opinion here because I am an ardent animal lover and I think the Japanese are full of it, but I think the Sea Shepherd guys are just a bunch of hoodlums and probably setting back the cause rather than advancing it. They're pirates for heaven's sake! Just because they happen to be on the right side of the issue doesn't make their methods right.

I saw an interview with someone from Greenpeace, who thinks that these guys are too radical. OK, how bats**t crazy do you have to be for Greenpeace to say "no thanks?"

It's a loophole in the law that's allowing the Japanese to conduct their "research." Why doesn't this group (Sea Shepherds) focus their time and effort on closing that loophole to get whaling banned outright? Then, once the loophole is closed, they could get on their ships and chase after the outlaw Japanese ships with the law on their side instead of illegally boarding ships and causing international incidents.

I hate that this whaling is going on, but I think the Sea Shepherds come across as juvenile punks looking for an endorphine rush in the name of saving whales rather than attempting a productive solution to the problem. Wouldn't it be better to work with the Japanese government to get the leadership on your side rather than antagonizing them so that they work extra hard to keep the "research" whaling in place?

Packersnut21 - sorry about the game today.
Hey Im used to them losing bu thank you

The thing that drives me nuts is the attitude of the senior crew on the ship. It's if you dont like how we do things leave the ship. The captain is wayyy to cocky for my liking as well Hammarstedt his 2nd in command. For all their talk really what have they done but get some media attention, and as you have pointed not positive attention. I love the show and will continue to watch however because it is just so dang interesting.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:55 PM

4,363 posts, read 6,551,769 times
I've taken up the time to see exactly what the Sea Shepherds are about. It seems as though they have a goal but are they going about this on the up and up? The controversial Captain - ex greenpeace makes me understand why they wanted to part ways with him. His attitude is really annoying for someone with a peace orriented message to deliver.

It may turn out that the airing of these broadcasts could spell the end for thier funding. Such a waset of a whole lot of money. They just don't seem to be making any sort of mark on the illegal whaleing industry.

Japan should be ASHAMED if it's self for the selfish harvest of innocent mamals, protected to boot, all in the name of RESEARCH, where it really isn't. They are simply harvesting the animals and packaging them for sale. What is the research, how best to kill? What packaging works best to control costs? I'm in favor of Military intervention against the Japs, and these comical self proclaimed activists on the Steve Irwin are so lame that they can't even allow thier volunteer crew to have a Party when the vessle is heading into port for repairs.

Paul Watson, the Sea Shepherd's Captain is pretty lame for what he's cracked up to be and is awful arrogant about it. He'll put his crew members in harms way but he himself is locked away in his cabin writing poems and singing songs about thier alleged mission should be but isn't.

I too am more interested in the cause than the Sea Shepherd. I'll still watch it but I don't respect them the way I thought I would. Yes this is directed at the Senior Crew members. Who would want to take up a cause with the likes of them. The unknowing, that's who. LOL, the brats actually say if you don't like it leave - and we'll find a new crew that doesn't know anything and they can replace you. How ungreatful.

Old 12-13-2008, 07:59 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,301,849 times
I think the thing that shocked me the most was that the guy with the pony tail, Hammarstedt, has a girl friend. Sorry he just seems like the biggest nerd to me. I also don't like some of the new crew they brought aboard.

Captain Watson continues to look like a jerk in my book by sending 4 women to go after the whaling ship and he NEVER goes out. If he believes so much in the cause why doesn't he jump on the Japanese ship?

Old 12-26-2008, 11:30 PM

Since I'm not really sleepy, I'm trying to bore myself to sleep tonight by watching multiple episodes of this show.

Question - All these fools are doing is attacking a foreign vessel that is doing what they feel they have the right to be doing. Looks to me like this show is a battle of opinions. Captain Kangaroo (at least thats what he looks like to me) just stated he'd like to put the Japanese ship to the bottom of the sea. At what point does international law call these fools "pirates" and allow the Japanese to retaliate?

Old 12-26-2008, 11:36 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,600,066 times
These nuts are lucky the Japanese ships aren't armed with real weapons. They're in international waters and if they're no survivors and no video then nothing happened.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:47 AM

750 posts, read 1,436,966 times
I just saw this for the first time yesterday. Parts of it are riveting, and I'm a whale-lover of the first order. I hate the fact that the Japanese are killing them.

Side question: how vital is whale oil, whale meat, etc. to the Japanese? Is the demand a byproduct of having a concentrated population on a small string of islands? Or is it part of some Japanese tradition? I think I need to research this more in order to understand it better. I admit that I couldn't watch the programs carefully (too many holiday goin's on!)

That said, I do agree with Austinitgirl. Some of the folks on the Sea Shepherd remind me of those "extreme sports" people who crave the excitement and drama. It's like combat, without really being, you know, like, actually IN combat. With real guns.

The high fives and rehashing of how courageous and brave they all are gets tiresome. Moralizing and self-aggrandizing and constant bragging are not that much fun to watch. As some of the posters here can attest, the outcome may be the reverse of the effect they're hoping to achieve.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:58 AM

718 posts, read 2,364,831 times
If you have been watching, how many people think the captain was actually "shot" by the Japanese vessel? It is all too fishy for me! Seems to set up!

Old 12-27-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statefan View Post
If you have been watching, how many people think the captain was actually "shot" by the Japanese vessel? It is all too fishy for me! Seems to set up!
Oh yeah, that whole getting shot thing was quite a coincidence, wasn't it? Two ships are out rocking in the ocean waters, there's no visible weaponry, everyone except Capt Kangaroo are not wearing body armor, and he supposedly gets shot right at the heart by an unseen gunman? Wow, that's incredible. To me, that piece of metal looked like it may have been a shard from a flash grenade or something like that. But, I think he drew blood himself by grinding that phony badge he wears into his chest.

I'm not in favor of killing the whales, but I am now rooting for the whale ships in their tiffs with these thugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV