Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 12:03 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,490,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
The Aryan Nations is a California founded group that is no longer headquartered in Northern Idaho...their California native leader died several years back, the organized group disbanded, and the State of Idaho burned down their compound. Their headquarters is in Potter County, Pennsylvania.
How come their web site says to write to them in Coeur d'Alene, then? Odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Great information. I'm a history buff myself and though not nearly as versed as you on the topics related to the show I knew enough to put the pieces together of Operation Werewolf and what they were hinting at. Your explanation of the runes meanings was very enlightening.
Thank you. Since there is interest here, I'll keep looking for stuff that would tip me off which perhaps others might not spot. In general, eihwaz's yew can symbolize death, as much of yew is toxic. But we all know from Robin Hood, at the very least, how great it is for making a bow. In divination, one possible interpretation is that of passing through a near-death experience, or a very painful one. Or not getting through it at all. Isa I know very, very well, for it is my own rune. It is best visualized, perhaps, by the rapid freezing of a watercourse or a very sudden drop in temperature (I'm talking from 40 to -20, that dramatic). Thus the 'stop or die' meaning attributed to the Swede Trap. It is not a glyph I use, for obvious reasons. (Not that I renounce the right; rather, I care about people around me, and I also don't care to be mistaken for a bigot.)
Quote:
From what I could tell Eric was wearing a Waffen-SS uniform and Godric was wearing an Allgemeine-SS uniform, which is odd that they wouldn't both be in the same group (or maybe someone just pulled uniforms out of the bin). Also, as far as I could tell Godric was wearing lieutenant (Oberleutnant) insignia. Eric was hard to tell, but I couldn't pick out any officer insignia, so maybe he was enlisted.
I would need to go back and watch, pause and research. My first thought was that Godric was a company grade officer. It would be pretty odd for Eric to wear a uniform of higher rank, unless they stole the uniforms, in which they might wear whatever fit--especially given the difficulty of finding a uniform to fit Eric.
Quote:
I think the writers are trying to tie in the occult angle of the Nazi's. There are many fiction books and games that center on vampires, werewolves and other creatures working for the Nazi's. As you said, what better place than the SS during WW2 if your a vampire?
It would be very interesting if, for example, some Nazi bigwig turned out to be a vamp--although if they make Hitler one, I'm going to be professionally disgusted with them because that would be very sloppy and obvious. No subtlety whatsoever; more to the point, anyone who has studied the period even the least bit would have no way to reconcile Adolf's growing debilities with vampirism as known in the show. You'd have to find a Nazi bigwig with no kids. I wonder if Jurgen Stroop had kids, or Alfred Naujocks. If they picked Naujocks they would impress the living hell out of me.
Quote:
Not to get too far ahead, but maybe the connection to bring it to modern times (as you referenced the runes current meanings) would be that following WW2, the Nazi vamps and werewolves following the breaking of the Nazi resistance scattered and formed the modern white supremacist movement.
Quite possible indeed. I agree that it's early to begin conjecturing, but that's part of the fun of this, conjecturing to try and see where it's going. So no reason we should not!
Quote:
However it ends up I still really enjoy the tie-ins to history and the life of the vampires and their role in world events even if it is Hollywooded up. It adds a nice layer of depth to the show beyond who is killing and sleeping with who.
I agree. It is also smart on the writers' part, because it raises the question: in this alternate reality, how have paranormal creatures shaped human history? The field of speculation is limitless. Erszebet Bathory was an obvious candidate, although I have my doubts that any of her personal effects could survive and end up in Mississippi.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:05 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,790,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
It would be very interesting if, for example, some Nazi bigwig turned out to be a vamp--although if they make Hitler one, I'm going to be professionally disgusted with them because that would be very sloppy and obvious. No subtlety whatsoever; more to the point, anyone who has studied the period even the least bit would have no way to reconcile Adolf's growing debilities with vampirism as known in the show. You'd have to find a Nazi bigwig with no kids. I wonder if Jurgen Stroop had kids, or Alfred Naujocks. If they picked Naujocks they would impress the living hell out of me.

Quite possible indeed. I agree that it's early to begin conjecturing, but that's part of the fun of this, conjecturing to try and see where it's going. So no reason we should not!

I agree. It is also smart on the writers' part, because it raises the question: in this alternate reality, how have paranormal creatures shaped human history? The field of speculation is limitless. Erszebet Bathory was an obvious candidate, although I have my doubts that any of her personal effects could survive and end up in Mississippi.
I thought the Countess Bathory reference was very nice and got a chuckle out of it.

It's weird looking at the "King of Mississippi" he almost looks like a Nazi he has that Goebbels/Himmler look about him, whether intentional or not. I think we will see the tie-in to the Nazi's become fully explained, but I don't think they will go so far as to call an actual well known Nazi a vampire. I think that is a little too non-PC for a TV show and would be seen as being offensive by many. I think they are going to go for the behind the scenes vampire working within the party. A tie to Himmler would be most appropriate given his slavish devotion to the occult, the SS and the death camps. Another interesting candidate to perhaps command the unit would be Otto Skorzeny, certainly his exploits and history would tie in nicely given that among the many things he did was organize Operation Werewolf and later manage ODESSA and the hiding of large amounts of Nazi wealth.

Eric was very specific that the vampire/werewolf group had existed for a long time and were seemingly just assisting the Nazi's as they shared some similar goal, but they existed for a long time before that. It opens up a lot of opportunities to show the effect they have had on human history in the True Blood world.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
It's weird looking at the "King of Mississippi" he almost looks like a Nazi he has that Goebbels/Himmler look about him, whether intentional or not. I think we will see the tie-in to the Nazi's become fully explained, but I don't think they will go so far as to call an actual well known Nazi a vampire. I think that is a little too non-PC for a TV show and would be seen as being offensive by many. I think they are going to go for the behind the scenes vampire working within the party. A tie to Himmler would be most appropriate given his slavish devotion to the occult, the SS and the death camps. Another interesting candidate to perhaps command the unit would be Otto Skorzeny, certainly his exploits and history would tie in nicely given that among the many things he did was organize Operation Werewolf and later manage ODESSA and the hiding of large amounts of Nazi wealth.
Skorzeny was surely more Nazified than many of his defenders have made him out to be. That said, I know of no evidence he engaged in atrocities. One side makes him out to be this patriotic super-commando, the other makes him out to be the very devil of a Nazi. As with so many historic situations, if you split the difference between both nut wings you just about get near the reality. I was also thinking of Rosenberg--who has the advantage for the show's writers of being little known--except I can't remember whether he had children. Given the relative longevities--and that I doubt vampires are fertile--if they are looking for someone, I should think it would be a bachelor (Naujocks was, i believe).

I was also thinking of Naujocks because he is a fairly unknown and minor figure yet who played some roles in important events, his true history is very obscured, and until recently even the date and place of his death were in doubt. And even then, one isn't sure what to believe.
Quote:
Eric was very specific that the vampire/werewolf group had existed for a long time and were seemingly just assisting the Nazi's as they shared some similar goal, but they existed for a long time before that. It opens up a lot of opportunities to show the effect they have had on human history in the True Blood world.
Raises the question of what goal the Nazis might be pursuing that would have agreed with the vamps and werewolves. To presume that the Nazis were pursuing a unified goal, of course, is to oversimplify them (and in many ways to let them off hooks on which they need to hang). However, we know of numerous goals numerous Nazi fiefdoms were pursuing. It could be that, in this paranormal-infested universe, they'd found some talisman or artifact or were perhaps close to doing so.

The speculation is fueling my interest in the show, provided they show sophistication and just don't Hollyf**k it.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:26 PM

660 posts, read 1,399,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Last night was hilarious!! The "blood" courses at the king's mansion were so sardonic. But my favorite part had to be Sookie's imitation of Bill saying her name: "Sookie!" I burst out laughing when I heard that. However, I'm still unclear as to why the werewolves and vampires are also Nazis...? Even before last night's episode, the werewolves were often referred to as "the Nazi werewolves," and I am still wondering why...
Haha! I too burst out laughing too at Sookie's imitation!

Does anyone feel like the addition of the Werewolves has some similarity to Twilight, part 2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseRed
I too love Eric. In the books I like Eric sooo much better than Bill and I want Eric and sookie to be together. Eric is just better person in so many ways more than Bill. Hard to believe.
You read the books? How close is the series to the books? I've always wondered that. And yes, Eric is Hot! So much more so than Bill (sorry Bill!).

Old 06-23-2010, 10:47 AM

5,017 posts, read 10,732,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
Haha! I too burst out laughing too at Sookie's imitation!

Does anyone feel like the addition of the Werewolves has some similarity to Twilight, part 2?
Yes, I was going to mention that Twilight was doing the same thing but I didn't want to diverge the thread from that frickin' AWESOME discussion about Operation Werewolf (thank heaven for German heathens! ), which, BTW, definitely answered my questions; I am now waiting to see how the writers develop the storyline and/or the reasons that they will posit as to why werewolves would have been involved with the Nazis.

I think that the only reason why the vamp/werewolf plotline similarity with the Twilight series has not been a detrimental factor for the TB series is because it is so well done: the vamp/werewolf plotline is just one of many, unlike the Twilight series where the conflict is the entire movie and is done in a very cheesy, tweeny, soap-operaish manner in which drama and emotions run high. TB is clearly tongue-in-cheek, never takes itself too seriously and, as other posters have demonstrated, has much more clever plotlines than the more immature and less sophisticated Twilight series.

In fact, there is so much going on in TB that I didn't notice the similarity until only recently, which I think illustrates the diff between the two series. I mean, with TB, even with the similarity, we haven't been talking at all about a vamp/werewolf conflict; no, instead, we are talking about Nazi werewolves and discussing how that's even possible. That's why the show is so genius: it takes things one step further but does so in manner in which it verges simultaneously on both the ridiculous and the intellectual.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:25 AM

4,883 posts, read 5,029,857 times
I liked Jasons' question, where he asked Sookie if Bigfoot was real too.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:16 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,409,594 times
I'm loving the connection between Eric and Sookie this season. It's about time they started to really dig into it. A lot of new characters are introduced and I'm curious about the new vampire that Tara met.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:49 PM

660 posts, read 1,399,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Yes, I was going to mention that Twilight was doing the same thing but I didn't want to diverge the thread from that frickin' AWESOME discussion about Operation Werewolf (thank heaven for German heathens! ), which, BTW, definitely answered my questions; I am now waiting to see how the writers develop the storyline and/or the reasons that they will posit as to why werewolves would have been involved with the Nazis.

I think that the only reason why the vamp/werewolf plotline similarity with the Twilight series has not been a detrimental factor for the TB series is because it is so well done: the vamp/werewolf plotline is just one of many, unlike the Twilight series where the conflict is the entire movie and is done in a very cheesy, tweeny, soap-operaish manner in which drama and emotions run high. TB is clearly tongue-in-cheek, never takes itself too seriously and, as other posters have demonstrated, has much more clever plotlines than the more immature and less sophisticated Twilight series.

In fact, there is so much going on in TB that I didn't notice the similarity until only recently, which I think illustrates the diff between the two series. I mean, with TB, even with the similarity, we haven't been talking at all about a vamp/werewolf conflict; no, instead, we are talking about Nazi werewolves and discussing how that's even possible. That's why the show is so genius: it takes things one step further but does so in manner in which it verges simultaneously on both the ridiculous and the intellectual.
Glad you agree with me on the Werewolf issue. I don't mind it because the writers of TB are brilliant, but I just had to point out the similarities.

I had trouble sitting through the whole Twilight II, possibly because TB is just so much better without the teen angst (except for Jessica, but that's acceptable ). I had trouble watching even one episode of "Vampire Diaries" because it couldn't compare to the grit and realism (if there were vampires) of TB.

I am curious too as to how this connection between the Nazis, Werewolves and present time plays out!

Old 06-24-2010, 09:01 AM

821 posts, read 2,041,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think the stereotypes of Southerners, law enforcement and religious people are way over the top and mean and then when I remember it's a show about vampires, shapeshifters and soon to be werewolves, panthers and then fairies, I just laugh and enjoy it. It's not exactly deep or insightful, just very entertaining.

Besides that, the only thing that bothers me about the TV show (not talking about the books which I also read) is the common sense, calm characters (Sookie's grandmother, Godric) keep getting knocked off. If Rene wasn't revealed as a killer, even that character on the surface, seemed to have more common sense, manners and calm demeanor than the rest of the cast of characters. They need more characters like those to balance the overwrought (Tara's mother, Jessica, the skinny blonde human at Fangtasia), motormouth (Sookie, Tara, Mrs. Newlin), authoritarian (Bill, that Vampire PR lady), loud (Andy, Sookie, Tara, Hoyt's mother, Steve Newlin), ultra-dumb (Jason, Arlene, Terry, Mike Spencer, Jane Bodehouse), ultra-effeminate (Lafayette) ones. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the afore mentioned characters, in fact Hoyt's mother is my favorite. I'm just saying please quit killing off the characters that provide a little balance to the over the top ones. You know, where's the relief/the contrast? They add one to the story and then they're killed off. Sam could be that character if he wasn't bopping (Tara, Daphne) or trying to bop (Sookie) the women who work for him. He's likeable, but that's dumb, not ultra-dumb, just dumb.
I agree completely - They need some type of balance everyone on the show is sooo on the extream side of things.

As for the second Episode I think it was a great show and I cant wait for sunday to come back around. I Like the part of Sookie and Eric on the porch. And I cant wait to find out what happened to Jessica's body... I have my theories though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV