Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2008, 09:24 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,357,040 times

Advertisements

Last night my DVR cut off the last 30+ seconds of Heroes when a pivotal moment was happening in the show. A coworker of mine also had a similar problem, so that begs the question, why do TV shows go to the last minute these days? Didn't they used to end with about 2-4 minutes to spare? Especially now with the proliferation of DVRs, you would think that the networks would give a minute or two cushion on both sides to make sure that their loyal viewers can see their entire shows. It's very frustrating, and I cannot record the shows after my show sometimes because the DVR has to record something else, so the only solution is for the networks to actually air their programs between the hours. If a show is supposed to air from 9-10, have it start at 9:01 and end at 9:59, that way people wont miss out on the cliffhanger that is sure to keep them watching from week to week. The only reason it ends late is because they want to squeeze in an extra commercial break before the end, why not just let the show run, then air that break after?

Sorry for the rant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 09:26 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,665,932 times
love the rant! I feel your pain..same thing happens here. They think that they are keeping everyone tuned in, the fact is, they are just making us madder!!!!

Old 11-18-2008, 09:27 AM

673 posts, read 2,269,657 times
One way around this that I learned is for your Series recordings, set your DVR to end 1 or 2 minutes later. Makes a huge difference!

However, you might run into a problem if you have recordings on conflicting channels scheduled to begin right at the top of the hour.

Still, you might give it a try.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:28 AM

42,015 posts, read 75,423,585 times
The networks want one show to run right into the next one so you'll get hooked before you have time to change the channel.

Set your DVR to run an extra minute before/after each show you want to record. Simple as that.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:29 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,518,412 times
I'm actually dvr'ing the next show after the show I want to watch now b/c of all the cutting off on several different cable and network stations.

What is up with that?

Old 11-18-2008, 10:27 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,221,193 times
Fox is notoriously bad at this. We miss the last two minutes of each show we try to record. Our dvr through comcast won't allow us to change the time, it just tapes the set one hour period. We are having to tape the following shows too so that we can hopefully catch what we missed.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:32 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,357,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The networks want one show to run right into the next one so you'll get hooked before you have time to change the channel.

Set your DVR to run an extra minute before/after each show you want to record. Simple as that.
It doesn't work if your GF has two 10pm shows she "needs" to record...plus, when you have a season pass on Cox, it usually ignores your chosen time and just records the scheduled time unless you set it to record each individual episode like that.

It's especially annoying with shows like "Heroes" that has cliffhangers or shows like "The Office" that usually puts some of the best jokes in the opening and closing of the show.

All this does is make me just want to DL the complete episodes, without commercials, illegally from bootleg sites, and that hurts the networks numbers if there are others like me.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:05 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,020,931 times
Networks dont want you to use DVRs. It lets people skip commercials and being that that is the main source of revenue they dont really like that.

I set all my shows to record 1-2 additional minutes for this reason.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:33 PM

5,121 posts, read 16,625,105 times
I have a Comcast dual tuner DVR and I have this problem from time to time. You can adjust the beginning and ending times as long as they don't overlap with some other scheduled recording. I want to be able to adjust the time a show begins or ends (+ or -), but my DVR only lets me adjust a start time to record earlier or end recording later. I want to start later and end earlier. That's what frustrates me about it.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:50 AM

23,911 posts, read 33,722,495 times
We had this happen with another show last week, wish I could remember what it was.
I have all of the shows set to end 1 to 2 minutes late, I guess the show before ended later, making my 1 to 2 minutes not enough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV