Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 04:54 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,007,137 times

Advertisements

I dislike commercials about credit or insurance. Both get on my nerves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 08:35 PM

4,066 posts, read 5,656,655 times
Ads for The Bachelor show...makes me want to hurl so BAD! I could probably lose a few pounds...but somehow just not worth it to watch that show!

Old 12-02-2010, 08:41 PM

10,180 posts, read 20,811,916 times
The Geico commercial with the little pig crying wee all the way home...very annoying, I have to mute it when it comes on.

I love those subway commericals with the adults with kids voices.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:31 PM

52,791 posts, read 34,690,116 times
Default Commercials that send you scrambling for the remote

...because hearing/seeing them even one more time will send you thru the roof

currently, for me it's the honda 'holiday, oh-ah, holiday' ad that is played at least 2-3 times per hour on every network, with the sappy stop-motion and spazzmo musical accompaniment. absolute saturation coverage that forces me to be within a foot of my remote at all times when watching the tube. i hate this ad so much that if i were seriously considering buying a honda, i would now buy a ford. or a chevy. or a kia. or a yugo off craigslist.

any others?

Old 12-08-2010, 02:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,405,685 times
All commercials get me switching channels, trouble is some one has figured out how to put them all on at the same time on all the channels. to me they have arrived at the point that their are so many commercials on any given show i;m starting to watch more and more tv shows on my Computer..

Erectile dysfunction
Feminine hygiene products
Amazing weight loss products
Fast Food companies
Are a few commercial topics that irritate..

Old 12-08-2010, 05:01 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,370,068 times
All of them.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:01 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,654,552 times
All commercials. The favourite feature on my TV is the mute button on the remote.... I tend to record everything nowadays so I can fast forward adverts. When I occasionally watch something live I will ALWAYS switch off the sound during the commercials.

I cannot comprehend how Americans can even watch TV nowadays as the advert breaks are so frequent and so long. And completely unsympathetic and manipulative. So often the programme will literally be 30 seconds away from its end and they will go to an advert break to force you to watch. I feel exploited and I refuse to play that game. It is bad enough in the UK but so , so much worse in the US. TV is dominated by commercials. There is nothing more sure to switch me off a product than to have commercials about it.

I think if i lived in the US now, I would just give up altogether. Every time I visit the US now I simply will not watch anything on TV. At all. Too much hassle quite frankly. It is a total assault on you . I loathe commercials. With a passion.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:15 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,483,491 times
Any toilet cleaner commercial ---- disgusting
Male "enhancement" products
Female hygiene products
Bug commercials
Cold medicine commercials
Yogurt commercials --- I forget the brand but all their commercials are annoying
Any commercial with babies talking, dancing, driving, on a computer, etc etc etc

Old 12-08-2010, 05:51 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,396,872 times
Animal abuse ads.

They make me cry......

Old 12-08-2010, 11:58 AM

19,583 posts, read 9,587,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
All commercials. The favourite feature on my TV is the mute button on the remote.... I tend to record everything nowadays so I can fast forward adverts. When I occasionally watch something live I will ALWAYS switch off the sound during the commercials.

I cannot comprehend how Americans can even watch TV nowadays as the advert breaks are so frequent and so long. And completely unsympathetic and manipulative. So often the programme will literally be 30 seconds away from its end and they will go to an advert break to force you to watch. I feel exploited and I refuse to play that game. It is bad enough in the UK but so , so much worse in the US. TV is dominated by commercials. There is nothing more sure to switch me off a product than to have commercials about it.

I think if i lived in the US now, I would just give up altogether. Every time I visit the US now I simply will not watch anything on TV. At all. Too much hassle quite frankly. It is a total assault on you . I loathe commercials. With a passion.
Agreed Seems some shows are even more susceptible to the mass dose of commercials than other shows. I think more than 80% of the time allotted for the tv soap, "The Young & The Restless" is taken up by commercials. I'm thankful for the dvr since I'm at work during those times.
I can play the shows back at my convenience and fast forward thru the commercials. It's not quite as painful.
When I worked at one location, there was a tv in the main breakroom and most of the gals there were watching that show, which is probably how I came to get addicted to it myself. That can be both a good thing and bad thing, ... depends on who likes to put their 2cents in to say, "ugh, you watch that stuff?" but then you see them glued to their tv watching shows like "Survivor", "Dancing with the stars", ... etc, etc. I guess I can turn to them and say, "ugh, you watch THAT show?"

Some of the local channel news will cover various topics where they bring in a chef, or whatever. They boost the advertising the whole day, that so - and so- will be on the show later, and then the last 5 mins of the show, they bring on that chef to talk about some particular foods and then cut for a commercial or plural - commercialS. The news show finally comes back on and the chef has only 10 seconds left, and they rush, rush, rush them to finish up. That is sooooo annoying. Wonder if some day the guests will rebel? [wondering] Do they even know what order they will appear on these shows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV