Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 01:54 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,215,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Commercials show women as the housekeepers, cleaners, sole cooks, family doctor...that's sexist. Maybe if men played fair and did 50% of the work in a household in real life they wouldn't be portrayed as so stupid and helpless on TV......just sayin'

How many commercials and TV shows use the "vain bimbo" female caricature? It's hardly only men who are made to look stupid for a cheap laugh. Personally, I find it all pathetic, and deeply appreciate writers who rise above all that BS, and write real people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 02:03 PM

10,184 posts, read 20,828,897 times
Trojan virbrator commercials...is this really necessary?

Old 02-13-2012, 03:53 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,593,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Trojan virbrator commercials...is this really necessary?
Right, the stimulus lotions, condoms, menstrual flow, adult diapers , no class, no modesty anything goes anytime of day.
One that gets to me is the Luvs diaper blowout competition. Gross!

Old 02-16-2012, 05:39 AM

12,406 posts, read 19,012,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Written by men that are seeking women consumers to buy their product. Some are targetted to feminists.
At first glance, you might think so, but I don't think showing stupid and inept men is appealing - I don't think this image will propel feminists to buy a product.

If you notice, most of these commercials are aimed at the housemarm, Suzy homemaker. I think they are appealing to some somewhat hidden resentment they perceive the average housewife has towards her husband, some way that the underachieving homemaker can feel superior.

Yes, it is a nasty concept and probably does serve to embellish some sort of friction between the sexes in some relationships - and probably what 'they' think is a constant in many relationships.

I don't think it is likely that a feminist would find herself in such a situation, though, and the women depicted is more likely to be one in which the vagaries of life were allowed to direct the course of her existence, one who did not formulate a plan and focus and then, later, has these resentments built on the regret for her own decision making.

They do do studies of these things, and from the frequency of use of such a theme, I think this may be a commonly held belief. Of course, I am not privy to studies of this type and on my part this is just wild speculation.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,926,464 times
That Capitol One credit card commercial with Jimmy Fallon throwing money in the air, and with the baby. Really stupid, I can't hit the mute button fast enough.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:42 PM

7,726 posts, read 1,892,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
That Capitol One credit card commercial with Jimmy Fallon throwing money in the air, and with the baby. Really stupid, I can't hit the mute button fast enough.
I love the faces that baby makes, it makes me laugh every time I see it!!!

Old 02-21-2012, 06:01 AM

12,406 posts, read 19,012,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy P. View Post
I love the faces that baby makes, it makes me laugh every time I see it!!!
I usually dislike presentations that feature babies and small children. I always think of them reaching a point in which they are not so cute and the career ends and mommy's attitude to the kid changes. I think it's exploiting innocence.

I don't think babies are all that cute. I think of them as sort of blank slates and I have no idea if they'll transform into interesting and engaging adults or just a sort of speaking farm animal. Kids are essentially boring. I always feel that using them in commercials is a cheap shot.

But, considering the world's overpopulation, I am in the minority, I guess.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:48 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,522,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I usually dislike presentations that feature babies and small children. I always think of them reaching a point in which they are not so cute and the career ends and mommy's attitude to the kid changes. I think it's exploiting innocence.

I don't think babies are all that cute. I think of them as sort of blank slates and I have no idea if they'll transform into interesting and engaging adults or just a sort of speaking farm animal. Kids are essentially boring. I always feel that using them in commercials is a cheap shot.

But, considering the world's overpopulation, I am in the minority, I guess.
I am right along there with you.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:16 PM

8,092 posts, read 4,769,566 times
One of my favorite lines about the use of babies to sell stuff comes from, ironically, a commercial:
Some toilet paper company is trying to differentiate themselves by pointing to other TP companies and saying "Some show us babies, or puppies or teddy bears in their ads---none of which use toilet paper." The cutesy-wutesy stuff seems to never go out of style, even when it makes no sense to have babies selling us credit cards, or brokerage firms, or toilet paper. And yes, it is annoying as it is cynical.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:16 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,863,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Right, the stimulus lotions, condoms, menstrual flow, adult diapers , no class, no modesty anything goes anytime of day.
One that gets to me is the Luvs diaper blowout competition. Gross!
I just had the, er, "privilege" of seeing the Luvs blowout competition ad.....well, it is memorable (for all the wrong reasons)

Guess talking ducks, lizards, and pigs going "wheeee" aren't so bad after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV