Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:24 PM

432 posts, read 1,667,549 times

Advertisements

Its not their fault that they cancel shows.People are not tuning in!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 10:38 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,377,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by affi View Post
unfortunately, the networks are VERY slow in realizing that people are no longer sitting in front of the TV when shows come on. people are using Tivo/DVR, they are buying episodes from iTunes and Amazon, and they're streaming from various websites, including the networks own websites. ratings don't take these people into account so it looks like a show may be getting low ratings when in fact, most of the viewers may just be Tivoing (made up verb!), downloading, or streaming later.

and the networks don't help themselves when they bounce around shows to different time slots w/ little warning. it's a known fact that they lose viewers when they keep moving shows around, especially when they move them into the Friday night death spots

the writers' strikes didn't help many of these shows either. not sure if anyone has done the math, but I wonder how shows that came back right after the strike are doing compared to shows that didn't air again until this fall. overall, viewership is down across the networks this year as compared to last year, but certain shows are doing far worse (some just plain suck creatively this year, but some lost viewers over the long break). IMO, the shows being canceled now are just delayed casualties of the strikes.

unfortunately, the networks seem to prefer cheap reality TV that's almost guaranteed to bring in ratings then expensive, quality scripted shows

Old 11-27-2008, 11:07 AM

37,818 posts, read 41,126,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by affi View Post
Right now, I only watch one show on the lower 13 channels and that's The Unit. If my cable company offered me the opportunity to cancel PBS, ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox, and just keep cable, I'd take it. I can see The Unit when it comes out on DVD.

I'd like to say one other thing. The fastest growing segment of the population is older Americans. It they are going to thumb their noses at scripted programming for people over 49 then blank them. We not all the ridiculous bumbling parents of some half-assed sitcom comedian.

The next thing you know, NBC will have it's hand out for some bailout money.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:13 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,519,372 times
They have to cut costs so they can give Katie Curic her $17,000,000 per year!

Old 11-28-2008, 09:24 AM

178 posts, read 361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
They have to cut costs so they can give Katie Curic her $17,000,000 per year!
so she can sit behind a desk and read off a teleprompter! Who cares, and that goes for all the rest. Just read your 23mins of copy and be done with it, stop trying to sell me on a personality.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:12 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,725,547 times
Katie Couric is on CBS, not NBC.

Not everyone who watches reality is stupid and mindless. Likewise, not everyone who watches scripted shows is outstandingly brilliant and above it all.

NBC execs ARE idiots though. First My Own Worst Enemy, now these. I hope they're denied bailout money.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:55 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,154,224 times
Why is NBC so stupid? Because a lot of viewers like their shows with comedy, trainwreck tragedy, and stupid people. This is true of all the networks. It all about ratings. Dancing with the Stars gets huge ratings. Jericho (I know, CBS) didn't. Many highly rated shows require little actual thought. You watch and laugh. Even procedural shows like CSI and Law and Order don't require a lot of thought, especially after 10 seasons. Reality TV is cheap to produce, gets good ratings, and you can change the characters every season.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:18 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,259,311 times
This isn't about just NBC. I can't even remember which channel I was on and saw the commercials for more "reality" shows. Another "Batchelor" another dancing show with countries competing. I might have seen more but I may do a good job of blocking them out. Looks like it's going to be cable for me this winter!

Old 12-02-2008, 05:21 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,528,341 times
Easy.

Ratings.
Money (reality tv so much cheaper)

The only reality I will watch is Top Chef.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:37 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,259,311 times
I'm not anti "reality", I love Survivor and Big Brother. There's just too many brain numbing shows on IMO and that's not including the non "reality" shows! TG I still can afford cable! LOL I had to go back to work to keep up with my "neccessities".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV