Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 07:47 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,181,964 times

Advertisements

Now that Lindsey Nelson is gone, there isn't anybody really bad anymore.

But Chip Caray is way to gee-whiz for me. That apple fell too far from the tree.

I subscribe to MLB.TV, so Ive heard most of the home crews, and there isn't anybody that I can's stand listening to. Even Michael Kay, a notorious homer for the hated Yankees, is actually pretty enjoyable to listen to. He is intellectual, articulate, he knows the game, and he has a sense of humor. But the gold standard for intellect and humor is the Rangers Josh Lewin. It's like sitting through a lecture delivered by a very amusing professor. The best chemistry is Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow of the Giants. I really miss Skip Caray---no irony was ever lost on him.

Since I've mentioned Chip and Skip, I could tell you that I grew up glued to Harry Caray's young voice crackling through the static from St. Louis for Griesedieck Brothers Beer, and there will never be another one of that breed.

On the big networks for major games, Al Michaels was the best. For football, Pat Summerall. Danny Gallivan for hockey. Sean McDonough for basketball. I wsd watching a game once, and McDonough got sick and had to leave, and Michelle Tafoya took over for him and just kicked right in, no advance prep, using Sean's laid back style, and I was totally wowed. She was incredible.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-19-2009 at 08:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 01:03 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,599,969 times
How about this question: Who is your favorite/least favorite ESPN personality?
I like Michael Wilbon, Tony Kornheiser, and Scott Van Pelt. Sage Steele is pretty easy to look at, but there is something about her voice that kind of annoys me after a while, its sounds kind of like she had botox on her face or something like that. But besides that, she's very good and professional. Now Skip Bayless, sucks.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:09 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,899,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I subscribe to MLB.TV, so Ive heard most of the home crews, and there isn't anybody that I can's stand listening to. Even Michael Kay, a notorious homer for the hated Yankees, is actually pretty enjoyable to listen to. He is intellectual, articulate, he knows the game, and he has a sense of humor.
John Sterling is a homer. The Scooter was a homer. (And I think every team needs a homer -- and pretty much every team has one. Some of the calls I hear on ESPN radio make the aforementioned broadcasters sound mellow.)

But calling Michael Kay a homer isn't at all accurate. He will hold the Yankees' individual and/or collective feet to the fire if he thinks they screwed up (both players and those in the organization) -- he's done it on the game broadcasts, and he does it on a daily basis on his radio show. Have you ever heard him talk about Mike Mussina or Joe Torre?

Old 06-26-2009, 07:56 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,722,636 times
I vote for the voice of the Red Sox-Curt Gowdy, remember him from when I was young!

Old 06-26-2009, 08:13 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,138,905 times
love my ex-neighbor and nice guy--dick vitale----but no one can beat phil--holy cow----rizzuto

worse one---madden

Old 06-26-2009, 02:40 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,095,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
How about this question: Who is your favorite/least favorite ESPN personality?
I like Michael Wilbon, Tony Kornheiser, and Scott Van Pelt. Sage Steele is pretty easy to look at, but there is something about her voice that kind of annoys me after a while, its sounds kind of like she had botox on her face or something like that. But besides that, she's very good and professional. Now Skip Bayless, sucks.
I like Wilbon, and SVP and I don't mind Kornheiser, except the fact that he's painful to listen to on MNF.

Stuart Scott is terrible. He puts on this whole "jive" act and he really makes an ass out of himself in my opinion, "D-Mac and Da illy philly Eagles just got some serious cheddar" It's cute once in a while but not every time you open your mouth!

Bayless is a tool, Bob Ryan is a massive Boston homer, SalPal is ok, except sometimes he sensationalizes things too much for my taste. All the football guys (Boomer, TJ, Keyshawn, Ditka, Jaws) are fine except for Irvin (thank goodness he's gone).

Gammons and Olney know a lot but they can't go 30 seconds without mentioning a team from New York or Boston. Joe Morgan used to be good but he sounds like an old geezer on a bender nowadays, he's really disgracing himself. I miss Harold Reynolds.

Kruk and Stark are great, Karl Ravech is fine.

Barry Melrose + Gary Thorne were one of the best duos ever for hockey.

Lee Corso is a god, and Herbstreet is good I just wish they wouldn't pair him with Brent Musburger (whom I already explained my feelings about earlier). Mark May is good, Holtz is ok. He's just a little too old IMO. Beano Cook is terrible. I think he's a producer's old drunken grandpa that they give 30 seconds of air a week because they feel sorry for him. He still feels Army-Navy is the biggest game of the year.

Haven't watched enough basketball to know much about the analysts except it seems 90% of their coverage is about either Kobe or LeBron

Old 06-26-2009, 04:31 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,477,292 times
Best: Al Micheals, the radio play by play guy for the Eagles (Can't remember his name) and specail mention to the one & only, dearly departed & sorely missed Myron Cope - Long may his terrible towel wave.

Worst: Boomer Esiason. God that guy annoys me for some reason.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:59 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,246,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB
Jim Nance... or whatever his name is. Won't watch a sport if he's there
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
Just for the record, it's "Nantz"
Just for the record, that's just waaayyyyy TMI.... I don't need to know his name, I know his voice and it makes my finger twitch for the remote.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:05 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,530,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustmeiknow View Post
The reason I hate JB and TM so much is that they don't even try to hide which them they want to win. It's so one-sided it's ridiculous. Plus JB doesn't want to be there and doesn't know much about the sport in the first place. Compared to Jeanne Zalasko, though, he's a genius. I hate it when they hire dippy women to appear every now and then to give you info you don't care about and don't need.

Glad you had the guts to say that. I am a woman, and I hate this forced woman sportscaster thing. Like when they follow them into the locker room, and you can tell the athlete wants to go away.

They try to hire a babe, and make her sound knowledgeable, but it's so phony.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:13 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,722,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
I vote for the voice of the Red Sox-Curt Gowdy, remember him from when I was young!
I also did think a vote, when young-the best weather guy-Don Kent-Boston!
The snow, and more is to come! meaning-no homework, and no school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV