Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 12:14 PM

381 posts, read 814,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
LOL, I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Do you understand context? I guess not, but if you do, you purposely took a snippet out of context for some intellectually dishonest reason.

Either way, your attempt at refutation fails.

No, I did not purposely take anything out to be dishonest. I only quoted that last comment because you seem to paint a broad generalization based on a tiny sample. Ultimately, this elistist Washington you speak of is a relatively small sample. Whether it be your experiences of DC or these 5 self absorbed women, there is no sugar coating that you are taking a small sample and using to paint a broad brush and characterizing a whole city by that sample

Your exact words were "LOL, wow, typical self important elitism that rules DC." There is no context. Its not like you said "I understand that these aren't people who are representative of the real DC" before making that last comment. So there was no deception on my part.

Why don't you try addressing the points I brought up instead of responding with condescending nonsense. If you meant to say that you know that the elitists are only a small sample, you need to say so. That last statement does not leave much room for interpretation.

If there is a context, frankly, you need to be write more clearly.

Truthfully, when people characterize DC by elitists and act like the city's black majority doesn't exist, I consider it something of a racist characterization.

Last edited by dcsfanatic; 08-08-2010 at 12:25 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 01:33 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,462,096 times
Look, I'll dip my foot into this fray. I understand Dcsfanatic your desire to ensure your home city is accurately portrayed. I understand that Washington DC itself is occupied by a majority of 55% blacks (I am not certain of the economic break-down of that 55% but since you are, I will accept your statement that they are working middle-class).

On the other hand, Scarlett was just reacting in the way the show wants us to see DC. We already know that the majority of these women do not even live in DC proper - so the viewers insight is already skewed. As a born and bred NY'er, I do not always enjoy the way NY is potrayed in RHWNYC - but since I have had occassion to bump into one or more people that display some of the same mannerisms, I don't get overly offended. Personally, the NY which I know is made up of hard-working, middle class people too. As a new resident to NJ, I am APPALLED at the depiction of NJ women paraded about on RHWNJ - but hey - it's a show - these people are real - and it entertains quite a few of us every week. I would assume that the majority of viewers understand that these women are few and far between and the entire state should not be judged on their behavior.

RHWDC starts off saying that this show is based on the most powerful city in the world. That is probably true - and as someone from DC, something you should be proud of. I think that the bulk of us understand that these women (please GOD!) are the exception rather than the norm in the surrounding DC area. But to Scarlett's point, when the rest of us think of DC, we are not generally thinking of the average Joe's and Joan's that are part of its physical make-up - but RATHER the movers and shakers that shape domestic and international policy.

In the same way that NYC is way more than just the Statue of Liberty and the sad story of 9/11 - and California is more than surfer dudes and the film industry - we know that DC is more than the political world. All of these great cities are made up of great working class heroes. Unforunately, that does not make for good TV!

So please don't take offense against your city. I truly don't believe there was any meant. Just, as you said, a broad generalization which meant no harm.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:50 PM

All I ask is that the "context" of the generalization be made clear. It was not in this case.

By the statement: "LOL, wow, typical self important elitism that rules DC" I did not get any impression that there was an understanding from that poster that it only applied to a small portion and not the majority.

There are many people who don't necessarily know any better and might take such generalizations at face value. Its irresponsible to not make your generalizations clear.

That's all I'm saying.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:02 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
All I ask is that the "context" of the generalization be made clear. It was not in this case.

By the statement: "LOL, wow, typical self important elitism that rules DC" I did not get any impression that there was an understanding from that poster that it only applied to a small portion and not the majority.

There are many people who don't necessarily know any better and might take such generalizations at face value. Its irresponsible to not make your generalizations clear.

That's all I'm saying.
I thought the poster was being facetious But I was basing that off the tone of the overall post not just the last sentence

Old 08-08-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I thought the poster was being facetious But I was basing that off the tone of the overall post not just the last sentence

This?

I think maybe it was her imitation of Tyra that shocked them a bit. It could be viewed ambiguously.

Being British, she probably didn't get the whole nuance of how she may be coming off, and how sensitive the subject is here. She's blunt, and very much like most of the Brits I've known.

In DC, you have to be more diplomatic than that, which is why I left DC several years ago.

How about that modeling agency woman...Linda? At the birthday party I noticed she rates people by tiers - tier 1, tier 2, etc. She referred to one of the others as belonging to tier 2. LOL, wow, typical self-important elitism that rules DC.

The first 2 points talk about Cat and her bluntness. The last point is essentially stating the Linda is a self absorbed elitist which and then the statement in question painting the city with a broad brush.

I see nothing facetious nor did I take it out of context with what was written. The posters condescending response to me certainly doesn't lead me to believe I was taking things out of context. Because if I did do that, she could have actually explained it instead of taking such a tone.

Now, if I did take those comments out of context, or the poster was being facetious, it needs to be written more clearly.

Otherwise, anyone who ever characterizes DC by self absorbed elitists and acts like the poor to working class blacks of the city don't exist is making a racist generalization.

I just hope you all will realize that the next time someone defines the city that way.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:16 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,462,096 times
Listen, in the interest of peace, why don't we just drop this. This is an Entertainment/Television thread about a group of vapid women living in and around the DC area. This thread bears no tones of racism nor does it seek to offend life-long residents of DC. It is meant to be a light-hearted thread for viewers of one particular program - not a forum for defending one's city (look to City vs. City) or for general comments on "racist generalization" (see Great Debates).

Let's please move this thread back on topic which is about the women on the television program Real Housewives of DC. And please - I am in no way attempting to sweep away any real problems that face our nation - however - this is not the thread nor the forum for that type of discussion.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:22 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
This?

I think maybe it was her imitation of Tyra that shocked them a bit. It could be viewed ambiguously.

Being British, she probably didn't get the whole nuance of how she may be coming off, and how sensitive the subject is here. She's blunt, and very much like most of the Brits I've known.

In DC, you have to be more diplomatic than that, which is why I left DC several years ago.

How about that modeling agency woman...Linda? At the birthday party I noticed she rates people by tiers - tier 1, tier 2, etc. She referred to one of the others as belonging to tier 2. LOL, wow, typical self-important elitism that rules DC.

The first 2 points talk about Cat and her bluntness. The last point is essentially stating the Linda is a self absorbed elitist which and then the statement in question painting the city with a broad brush.

I see nothing facetious nor did I take it out of context with what was written. The posters condescending response to me certainly doesn't lead me to believe I was taking things out of context. Because if I did do that, she could have actually explained it instead of taking such a tone.

Now, if I did take those comments out of context, or the poster was being facetious, it needs to be written more clearly.

Otherwise, anyone who ever characterizes DC by self absorbed elitists and acts like the poor to working class blacks of the city don't exist is making a racist generalization.

I just hope you all will realize that the next time someone defines the city that way.
Yeah you might need to move that over-sensitive button a little bit; you've taken one sentence and made it something racist. I don't think anyone actually believes the people on the show represent those areas. But even if she wasn't being sarcastic she's just responding to what's being shown on the show. If you don't like how DC is being represented then write to Bravo about it.

And if you want someone to respond to you without taking such a tone then you might want to practice that method yourself because you could have asked her what she meant instead of saying "Please know what you're talking about before making broad generalizations" oh and personally I think it's really rude for you to say that things need to be written more clearly. This is a forum about a trashy television show for entertainment purposes. It's not an English paper. The only thing that needs to happen on the forum is more conversation about the television show and less bickering

Old 08-08-2010, 06:41 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
... This is a forum about a trashy television show for entertainment purposes. It's not an English paper ...
Thank you NJ DC native here, we are appalled by this garbage "show". These nasty women are neither "real" nor "housewives" nor have anything to do with "DC"

Old 08-08-2010, 09:48 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Thank you NJ DC native here, we are appalled by this garbage "show". These nasty women are neither "real" nor "housewives" nor have anything to do with "DC"
I'm sure the citizens of every city in which these shows take place feel the same way.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:57 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,679 times
Quote:
This?

The first 2 points talk about Cat and her bluntness.
So you didn't think her impersonation of Tyra was somewhat offensive? Hmmm, you must be racist. I thought it was offensive. It was a stereotypical typecast of a Black woman. It didn't resemble Tyra at all...just a common stereotype.

I would have either asked her to leave my home or embarrassed her so badly she would've whimpered out with her tail between her legs.

She made another comment which also suggested she has racial issues. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt for now, but it's not lookin good for Cat.

Quote:
The last point is essentially stating the Linda is a self absorbed elitist which and then the statement in question painting the city with a broad brush.

Thank you for finally quoting the entire post. The sentences preceding the one you previously quoted bring it into context. I'm just not going to dumb it down any further for you.

If you don't know the types that rule DC...well, what can I say. I doubt you live and work around them.

Quote:
Why would anyone presume the poor and working class to be included in an "elitist" characterization? They wouldn't, it's illogical. My statements taken in context automatically exclude them...unless you know some self-important, self-described Tier 1 poor and working class folks.

Racist? OMG...LOL Tell you what...I'm in SC now. If you are ever in the area, drop me a PM. You can come over for lunch or something. When you arrive, you will see just how silly your conclusions are. After you pick your lower jaw up off the floor, I'm sure we can have a nice talk. And I'll tell you all about the DC elitists.

Last edited by scarlet_ohara; 08-08-2010 at 11:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV