Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 05:34 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,754,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Ummm...it's He by Jorge not He by George

<Has a diva fit and leaves the thread>
I changed it Jorge! But you replied too quick for me love! Don't go come back and sing a few tunes for us... We need to get Andy Cohen to have you on Watch What Happens Live!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 05:36 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,095,674 times
All is forgiven as long as you don't snatch my new weave.

Andy - I am ready for my close-up!!!

Old 08-09-2010, 07:45 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,508,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
All is forgiven as long as you don't snatch my new weave.

Andy - I am ready for my close-up!!!

YouTube - &#x202a;Gloria Swanson - All right_ Mr_ DeMille_ I_m ready for my close-up&#x202c;&lrm;

Old 08-09-2010, 11:02 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,033,364 times
LMAO I'd rep all of youse if I could

Old 08-10-2010, 08:10 AM

32 posts, read 60,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywatcher75 View Post
I won't have Cable TV until I move into my new place..I'll just have to live vicariously through the threads
The first episdoe was up on hulu the very next day!!!!

Old 08-10-2010, 10:07 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,804,975 times
I've been travleing a lot so not sure how many episodes have aired but I caught the end of one where some ladies were gathered for dinner. There was a personal chef cooking for them. If someone could enlighten me as to why the other ladies got so freakin up tight and pissy when the lady with the british accent indicated she was a fan of George Bush and that she doesn't care for Tyra Banks?
Did I miss a memo stating one is not entitled to have their own opinions? That one must like someone because they are not white?
Seems like a whole lotta BS going on in their circle. If I can't be who I wanna be,like who I wanna like-then screw all that.
I don't think I'm gonna like this stuffy,boring group of women. Not sure I'll tune in for another episode.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:18 AM

381 posts, read 814,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Yeah you might need to move that over-sensitive button a little bit; you've taken one sentence and made it something racist. I don't think anyone actually believes the people on the show represent those areas. But even if she wasn't being sarcastic she's just responding to what's being shown on the show. If you don't like how DC is being represented then write to Bravo about it.

In case you haven't noticed, I'm not concerned about the TV show. Bravo can put all the fluff TV shows they want to for all I care. My problem is when someone uses this TV show to mischaracterize a place and pertuate a misconception (ie, that DC is nothing but snobby elitists).

My point wasn't even to call scarlett o'hara a racist. What I was trying to do was to say that ANYONE who simply characterizes Washington by elitists or even as a strictly political town should pause for a second and think about what they are saying, because that is ultimately a fairly small minority. Everyone should realize that DC is majority poor to working class blacks, so to classify the city by elitists or politics to me is racist. I really don't see another way to view it. If you don't know that DC is majority poor to working class blacks, that frankly is ignorance.

Quote:
And if you want someone to respond to you without taking such a tone then you might want to practice that method yourself because you could have asked her what she meant instead of saying "Please know what you're talking about before making broad generalizations

Because what was written could only be taken one way.

Quote:
oh and personally I think it's really rude for you to say that things need to be written more clearly. This is a forum about a trashy television show for entertainment purposes. It's not an English paper. The only thing that needs to happen on the forum is more conversation about the television show and less bickering

Is it really too much to ask to articulate what you are trying to say clearly? Even sarcasm?

Old 08-12-2010, 11:20 AM

381 posts, read 814,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
So you didn't think her impersonation of Tyra was somewhat offensive? Hmmm, you must be racist. I thought it was offensive. It was a stereotypical typecast of a Black woman. It didn't resemble Tyra at all...just a common stereotype.
ARE YOU SERIOUS? This has to be the mother of all head scratchers. You gleaned that from this?:

This?

>>I think maybe it was her imitation of Tyra that shocked them a bit. It could be viewed ambiguously.

Being British, she probably didn't get the whole nuance of how she may be coming off, and how sensitive the subject is here. She's blunt, and very much like most of the Brits I've known.

In DC, you have to be more diplomatic than that, which is why I left DC several years ago.

How about that modeling agency woman...Linda? At the birthday party I noticed she rates people by tiers - tier 1, tier 2, etc. She referred to one of the others as belonging to tier 2. LOL, wow, typical self-important elitism that rules DC.<<<

The first 2 points talk about Cat and her bluntness.

I'd ask how you could possibly come to that conclusion but I know you won't answer.

Quote:
Thank you for finally quoting the entire post. The sentences preceding the one you previously quoted bring it into context. I'm just not going to dumb it down any further for you.

If you don't know the types that rule DC...well, what can I say. I doubt you live and work around them.

You can be smug all you want, but, considering how unbelievably off the mark in comprehending what I wrote above, I can only conclude that your writing articulation may be off the mark as well.

I'm going to explain to you how your final comment came across one more time. You described two types of smug, snobby people. Thats fine. I got that. I don't deny they exist nor do I deny that they are as snobby as can be.

The problem lies in that your final comment makes it seem like these are the only people that you will find in DC. If you didn't mean to say that, then this whole thing is a misunderstanding to which I apologize, but if that is the case, it was not well articulated. When you say "rules DC" I took that to mean that they are pervasive, not a small minority at the top.

Quote:
Why would anyone presume the poor and working class to be included in an "elitist" characterization? They wouldn't, it's illogical. My statements taken in context automatically exclude them...unless you know some self-important, self-described Tier 1 poor and working class folks.
You didn't comprehend my complaint about your post. Its what I explained above. You seemed to imply that these elitists were all there are to DC.

My point wasn't that you were including the poor to working class blacks of the city in your comment about elitists. My ultimate point was that to say that the city is basically nothing but elitists, you are forgetting about the majority of the city which is poor to working class blacks.

Quote:
.Racist? OMG...LOL Tell you what...I'm in SC now. If you are ever in the area, drop me a PM. You can come over for lunch or something. When you arrive, you will see just how silly your conclusions are. After you pick your lower jaw up off the floor, I'm sure we can have a nice talk. And I'll tell you all about the DC elitists
I'm going to guess by that you mean that you are black. Well, that doesn't mean that you can't mischaracterize a place you used to live. Considering your boasting about rubbing elbows with elitists, its very possible to overlook working class people.

Like I said, this whole thing may be a misunderstanding over the term "rules DC," in which case I am sorry, but I believe my interpretation of the phrase is correct as it was stated.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:17 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,033,364 times
I can't wait til tonight!!

Old 08-12-2010, 06:17 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,386,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
I'm not concerned about the TV show.
Oh well good; I guess this will be your last post here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV