Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 02:04 PM

12,527 posts, read 17,560,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I don't know the origin of that adult with the little girl voice, the Betty Boop cartoons may have served as the modern inspiration.

060-Betty Boop-Stop that noise-1935-colorized - YouTube

Melanie Griffith has made a living with that voice, so has Debra Jo Rupp (Mom on "That '70's Show.") Ann-Margaret made herself into a star by being a 22 year old who talked and acted like a 12 year old. Victoria Jackson on SNL in the '80's was an extreme version.

Searching around on the net I find two explanations offered. Some seem to believe that it is a sign of the woman having been molested as a child. A less complicated theory is that it is just women without sexy voices trying to sound sexy.

I vote for Ann-Margaret, hubba hubba
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 03:57 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,734,134 times
I saw something interesting today.

I was watching a bunch of random episodes today and watched episode 6X5 "The Holographic Excitation" where Leonard shows Penny the "holographic principle". During that scene she gets this look on her face (remembering that they dated in real life) that made me feel like there was still a deep "real life" love still there.

Im not trying to say "omg they're gonna date again". I was just thinking that regardless of what goes on in their lives there is still something special between them.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:58 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,734,134 times
The other thing I noticed is that I am tired of Bernadette's look. Melissa Rauch is absolutely gorgeous and between the glasses and her hair you can never see her face.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:11 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,104,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
So I guess she's supposed to sound that way for the show but I wish they had decided to let her talk in her normal voice.
Yeah, I wish they'd figure out a way she could return to her normal voice, too. Maybe they could have an episode where she needs throat surgery or something--and when she recovers her voice is normal.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:15 PM

Speaking about Bernadette, now that another poster has mentioned her hair and glasses I wouldn't mind seeing some episode done at the beach, so we could see Bernie with no glasses and her hair pulled back. Not that I have anything against her glasses. Actually I like them, and besides she needs them to fit in with the "nerdiness" all the character are supposed to have. But.... it would be nice to have a reason to see her without them.

Actually, now that I think of it there are all sorts of nerdy things they could do at the beach. Amy could make unintentionally rude comments about the social mating behaviors of the girls in bikinis. Sheldon could do some ridiculous thing to ward off too much sun exposure. And Raj could fly his kite there.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:49 PM

11,646 posts, read 12,722,728 times
Megan Mulally used that voice on Will and Grace. And Billie Dawn wouldn't be the same without Judy Holiday using the voice to play the dumb blonde streetgirl in Born Yesterday.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:32 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,148,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Megan Mulally used that voice on Will and Grace. And Billie Dawn wouldn't be the same without Judy Holiday using the voice to play the dumb blonde streetgirl in Born Yesterday.
And I've since remembered Ellen Greene in "Little Shop of Horrors."

Old 06-22-2013, 10:56 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,276,570 times
Bernadette Peters also has that little girl voice.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:46 AM

OK, so here's a question for the guys reading this thread:

Do guys really like that squeaky "little girl" voice? To me it's obnoxious, and when I see the actresses listed above I wonder why any of them chose to use a voice like that. But, I guess if guys find it sexy that would be an explanation. So.... what do you guys think. Sexy? Or not so much?

Old 06-22-2013, 01:05 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,148,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
OK, so here's a question for the guys reading this thread:

Do guys really like that squeaky "little girl" voice? To me it's obnoxious, and when I see the actresses listed above I wonder why any of them chose to use a voice like that. But, I guess if guys find it sexy that would be an explanation. So.... what do you guys think. Sexy? Or not so much?
It varies. A lot depends upon her sexuality otherwise. If she is already attractive, the voice may or may not enhance that. If she is not attractive to me, the voice isn't going to change that and may well be quite annoying.

Is this dress sexy? Depends upon who is wearing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV