Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2013, 10:15 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,469,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Johnny Galecki has a role in CBGB which is shortly to be in theaters. This is a movie about punk rock in NY and has Rupert Grint and Alan Rickman in it. You have probably seen articles about them being co stars in the Harry Potter movies previously. Galecki is listed 5th in the IMDb listing of credits. His character is named Terry Ork.

Parsons has already played Broadway in Harvey and I think he will be able to find roles in movies and theater.

I see Helberg doing voice work. He has an amazing repertoire of voices and accents. I don't know what roles he might find. But he is obviously a fine actor.

The others--who knows? Cuoco is filming a movie, and has another in post production. I have no idea what sort of roles or movies they are. I frankly see her as a comic actor, but perhaps she can surprise us all with dramatic range.

I don't think we get to see very much of Nayyar, but he has said that he might have only a few lines of dialog every episode, and he usually had a funny line that he had to nail. I think Amy is probably my fave character, because she is so unusual and unpredictable. I didn't think much of Bialik's portrayal at first, but I think this has improved hugely. There are probably some indie movies she would do well in.

But we can't really know. I am just enjoying the show now. I think I've now seen all episodes at least once, and I only discovered the show a little over a year ago. Even when I'm seeing in rerun shows I like least well, I remind myself that there will be some really funny lines and I should just go ahead and watch. I am always amused.
I remember Mayim Bialik doing a dramatic role in a made for TV movie for the SyFy Channel when it was the SciFi Channel years ago when they did more serious made for TV movies. She was really good. She could do comedy or drama. I would love to see her in both.

Maybe if I keep saying I want to see "Blossom" reruns, it will come true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 06:52 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,593,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I remember Mayim Bialik doing a dramatic role in a made for TV movie for the SyFy Channel when it was the SciFi Channel years ago when they did more serious made for TV movies. She was really good. She could do comedy or drama. I would love to see her in both.
I imagine she has an amazing range and will play against type in a Woody Allen movie or a dark drama in her next big appearance.

Kaley started in 8 Simple Rules 11 years ago now when she was age 16. I know she has done TV before that and some roles in films, but she hasn't done anything dramatic that I am aware about.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:24 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,102,711 times
Wasn't she also one of the witches on Charmed? I seem to recall she was an evil witch. And I also recall something about her being in a horror flick or two.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Wasn't she also one of the witches on Charmed? I seem to recall she was an evil witch. And I also recall something about her being in a horror flick or two.
She has been acting since the age of 6, and has something like 24 movie credits at the age of 27. She was a witch on Charmed for a full year (22 episodes). In addition she has done a lot of voice over work for animation.

She is clearly talented and hard working. Next to the ultra powerful Sofia Vergara, Kaley may be the most successful spokeswoman on TV right now.

I just have never seen her act against type.

Mark Harmon has been playing the good guy (or at least the guy that women love) for 50 years. It took a little guts to play the psychopathic serial killer, Ted Bundy. But he got a lot of kudos for taking that chance.

But Meg Ryan secured her position as the romantic charming girl that every guy wanted for a girfriend. A number of people have never forgiven her for playing alcoholics and sexually explicit roles.

Kaley may not want to break character and risk crashing her train.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:14 PM

So... what did you guys think of tonight's show? Here's my lists of faves and duds:

Faves:

1. Loved seeing Amy working in her lab again. Sheldon's reaction to the photos she was using to test the monkey was good. You know, Jim Parson does have a talent for making faces. (And so does the monkey!)

2. "Maybe Gunderson needs to go to Ikea and buy a build it yourself sense of humor!" OK, OK, the gags were a little lightweight tonight, but this line made me laugh.

3. The whole scene where Sheldon embarrassed Amy in front of her co-workers was funny

4. I really loved that last scene where the guys were popping balloons with a laser. Always enjoy seeing the games those guys come up with.

5. Also liked the jokes while they played that role-playing game. Liked "bi-Polar Bear" and "Crying Baby" jokes.

6. Sheldon's door knock: "Penny, Bernadette & Amy! Penny, Bernadette & Amy! Penny, Bernadette & Amy!"

7. This week's inside joke was a borrowed bit of script from Roseanne. Originally, it involved John Goodman giving love advice to Johnny Galecki. In tonight's version of the gag Galecki was the one saying "It doesn't matter." Kudos for a nicely done inside joke.

Duds:

1. Holy cow that opening scene was a dud. If that was my first encounter with BBT I'd have switched the channel. It wasn't even in character for those two. Sheldon knows how to have conversations with people at the Cheesecake Factory, and I can't believe Amy would find it interesting to have him goggling phallic symbols. Was that scene written by a 12-year-old? Felt like it.

2. Too many scenes with the girls that revolve around drinking. The writers seem to know how to give the guys fun and imaginative things to do, why is it the girls seem to do nothing but drink?

That's all I've got this week--not one of the best shows, but got better as it progressed. I'd give it a B-. And at least it had some scenes of them at work, which is something I always enjoy seeing.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:32 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,609,240 times
The picture on the computer in Amy's lab was hanging upside down on the wall beside the computer.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:24 AM

It's an interesting play they are making at this point. We see Howard and Amy showing a common interest in Neil Diamond. Howard and Bernadette's relationship which seems based on goddess worship is unraveling a little in the day to day activities. Sheldon't general opacity seems to have slipped into territory that Amy seems to be actually suffering mental anguish.

So far the prospect of a Joey and Rachel type storyline has seemed remote, but the writers might go there with TBBT. I don't think we should count the Raj-Penny in bed incident.

Credit for photo
The Big Bang Theory, Penny and Raj - After The Walk Of Shame! - Throng

Old 10-18-2013, 07:26 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,148,655 times
I thought last night's episode had a strangely nasty feel to it.

In sit coms, when one of the characters has been making a jerk of his or her self, the rule is that they must do something redemptive, must have some recognition of their foolishness, otherwise we are drifting over the line from comedy to soap opera.

Last night Sheldon was a jerk from start to finish, never any realization of how he was stomping on Amy's feelings. It wasn't funny, just unpleasant to watch.

The writers of this episode seemed to have operated on the premise of..."How far can we take Sheldon's absence of awareness?" And then they took well past the point of credibility, especially since there were scenes where other cast members explained to Sheldon what a jerk he was being with Amy.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I thought last night's episode had a strangely nasty feel to it.

In sit coms, when one of the characters has been making a jerk of his or her self, the rule is that they must do something redemptive, must have some recognition of their foolishness, otherwise we are drifting over the line from comedy to soap opera.

Last night Sheldon was a jerk from start to finish, never any realization of how he was stomping on Amy's feelings. It wasn't funny, just unpleasant to watch.

The writers of this episode seemed to have operated on the premise of..."How far can we take Sheldon's absence of awareness?" And then they took well past the point of credibility, especially since there were scenes where other cast members explained to Sheldon what a jerk he was being with Amy.
Absolutely agree. Sheldon was much funnier in earlier years. I hate it when writers take a character with a few oddball quirks and every year it gets more and more exaggerated. Now he's becoming a cliche of himself. And I also agree that he needed to do something redemptive to show us why Amy would put up with him. There are lots of endearing-yet-nerdy things they could have had him do that would have been in character.

Sweet & sour tastes great, sour & sour turns your stomach.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
The picture on the computer in Amy's lab was hanging upside down on the wall beside the computer.
LOL LOL what a great catch! I'm going to have to look for that when this episodes comes up in re-runs. The little inside jokes are my favorite thing in this show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV