Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 08:00 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,104,886 times

Advertisements

I missed the episode tonight. Was it good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 08:06 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,584,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Was it good? OMG!!!! How could it NOT be, with dueling laser belt buckles. It was right up there with the kiss simulator -- you gotta see it to believe it. Two guesses who was involved.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,472,976 times
I laughed out loud quite a few times. I loved it.

One thing though and I don't mean to be picky, but it makes sense that besides the obvious reasons for Arthur not asking Sheldon to work with him, Sheldon is an applied physicist and Leonard is an experimental physicist. The theory was obviously in Leonard's territory so it only made sense that he would be the one chosen to work on it. Also, Sheldon always goes on about how Leonard's discipline of experimental physics is inferior to applied physics so normally he wouldn't have wanted to read it. It's understandable though he would have felt left out that his hero didn't choose him with his big fat Sheldon-ego.

Last edited by Minervah; 11-07-2013 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: left something out

Old 11-07-2013, 11:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,198,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Well, I still think Newhart is not a good fit, but it was better than the first Newhart episode last season. Yes, it was funny. Made me laugh. Newhart got the last line and it was delivered very well. I don't think they know what exactly to do with Raj now. But it sounds as if perhaps we will see more of his parents? I hope they come to Pasadena! There was a clever scene with Prof. Proton, Leonard, Amy and Sheldon early on. It was a good show. For an old guy Newhart showed a lot of intensity in the scene with Bill Nye, who didn't have much to do on the episode, but who seemed to be a good actor.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:23 AM

870 posts, read 1,126,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, I still think Newhart is not a good fit,
huh?

BBT is a comedy and Bob Newhart has comedic deadpan brilliance, I just smile the entire time hes on screen and I am just amazed he doesnt crack himself up.

''I have to get up in a few hours, pee and walk around the house''

Old 11-08-2013, 05:49 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,599,248 times
The deeply affectionate offscreen relationship between Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco in real life seems to have fueled the show. It seems as if Kaley Cuoco adores Jim Parsons in real life (obviously nonsexual).

Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone also had an offscreen romance, and the chemistry on screen was also very strong.

Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy (long term lovers in real life) were incredible together as battling husband and wife lawyers in Adam's Rib (1949).

In the past, there have been stories about onscreen lovers who despised each other offscreen. Also there are married couples that have taken roles where they battle constantly on the screen.

Do you think I am being sentimental, or do you think onscreen performances are enhanced if the actors are truly intimate with each other?

Old 11-08-2013, 05:59 AM

13,697 posts, read 9,024,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The deeply affectionate offscreen relationship between Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco in real life seems to have fueled the show. It seems as if Kaley Cuoco adores Jim Parsons in real life (obviously nonsexual).

Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone also had an offscreen romance, and the chemistry on screen was also very strong.

Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy (long term lovers in real life) were incredible together as battling husband and wife lawyers in Adam's Rib (1949).

In the past, there have been stories about onscreen lovers who despised each other offscreen. Also there are married couples that have taken roles where they battle constantly on the screen.

Do you think I am being sentimental, or do you think onscreen performances are enhanced if the actors are truly intimate with each other?

I have always been affected by the final scene in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner", the last film that Hepburn and Tracy appeared in together (9 altogether). It was well-known that Tracy was dying, and he was only able to be on set for a couple of hours a day. His final speech in the film was truly his last bit of acting and all knew it, including Ms. Hepburn (I, for one, believe her tears were real as she watched Tracy perform the speech). Tracy died 17 days later.

As for BBT: I thought that Bob Newhart was much more effective this episode than his first one. All in all, a very good episode.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:21 AM

12,527 posts, read 17,561,380 times
I've seen Mr. Newhart twice in the last 10 years in concert, he still has it, big time.

If you want a laugh try and find the movie Hell is for Heroes, circa 1960 something. He plays a soldier that when his troop discovers the Germans are listening in on their communications, he goes into his telephone routine. Classic.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:25 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,599,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I've seen Mr. Newhart twice in the last 10 years in concert, he still has it, big time.

If you want a laugh try and find the movie Hell is for Heroes, circa 1960 something. He plays a soldier that when his troop discovers the Germans are listening in on their communications, he goes into his telephone routine. Classic.
Hell is for Heroes was Bob Newhart's first movie role. During the filming his comedy records were selling very well. Newhart kept begging the director to kill his character so he could leave the set and make money doing comedy appearances. They eventually kill the character, but not to the end of the film.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:49 AM

4,691 posts, read 307,888 times
Probably one of the most well known TV couples who didn't get along was "I Love Lucy's" Fred and Ethel Murtz. Vivian Vance could not stand William Frawley. I always thought they were a mismatched couple. Watching BBT, I get the impression that they all really get along and like each other. But, like so many actors in other TV shows, if the show ended, they might not have much to do with each other any more.

TV and Movie Couples that Didn't Get Along in Real Life - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com
" According to imdb.com, upon learning of Frawley's death in 1966 while she was dining out, Vivian Vance ordered a round of champagne for everyone at her table."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV