Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 07:11 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,380,981 times

Advertisements

You would think the word would be out and employees would be suspicious. I find myself wondering if they suspect an undercover boss as they share their financial woes and burdens. I still find it touching when they get help though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 06:28 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,996,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
You would think the word would be out and employees would be suspicious. I find myself wondering if they suspect an undercover boss as they share their financial woes and burdens. I still find it touching when they get help though!
I think the whole thing is a sham. Come on, a camera following the new guy around all day? What other circumstance includes that? They'd have to be pretty dumb not to know what's going on. They probably have company literature with the guy's picture on, too.

My husband's boss is constantly visiting his stores. They'd recognize him in an instant. A good boss keeps his hand in the business. The employee who has the best sob story for the camera does not get edited out and ends up with the $5k which the tv show probably gives them because the sum is always the same.

Really, it's all a big joke, folks.
It's not called the ENTERTAINMENT industry for nutten'.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,494,155 times
Everyone at the company where I last worked knew who the CEO was. But there is no way he could do or even was aware of our jobs. He had very little understanding of the general workings of the company. Nor did he want to know.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Everyone at the company where I last worked knew who the CEO was. But there is no way he could do or even was aware of our jobs. He had very little understanding of the general workings of the company. Nor did he want to know.
Well, I did say a 'good' boss.
Also, if a business gets large enough, you really have to surround yourself with talented managers who will 'keep their finger on the pulse', so to speak. Not that they should know every little detail of what you do.

I have a problem with heads of corporations (public corps) who do not get increases in perks commensurate to their performance, but other than top managers, everyone else in the organization does, but that's another issue.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Well, I did say a 'good' boss.
Also, if a business gets large enough, you really have to surround yourself with talented managers who will 'keep their finger on the pulse', so to speak. Not that they should know every little detail of what you do.

I have a problem with heads of corporations (public corps) who do not get increases in perks commensurate to their performance, but other than top managers, everyone else in the organization does, but that's another issue.
In my situation, not knowing even the basics of how things were put together cost him a million dollar account. He had promised things that were just not possible the way the departments were structured.

Then he blamed the employees. These days, a person gets to be in charge because they took the right classes, played the right polictics and presented themselves as a leader. Knowledge of the jobs has nothing to do with it any longer. This goes for supervisors as well as CEOs.

In the case of the undercover bosses it's not so bad they cannot do the employee's job but they should at least know or have an idea of what those jobs are. This was true in the past. People rose up in the ranks by knowing the business in and out.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
In my situation, not knowing even the basics of how things were put together cost him a million dollar account. He had promised things that were just not possible the way the departments were structured.

Then he blamed the employees. These days, a person gets to be in charge because they took the right classes, played the right polictics and presented themselves as a leader. Knowledge of the jobs has nothing to do with it any longer. This goes for supervisors as well as CEOs.

In the case of the undercover bosses it's not so bad they cannot do the employee's job but they should at least know or have an idea of what those jobs are. This was true in the past. People rose up in the ranks by knowing the business in and out.
Maybe what we are going through now is forcing well educated people to take lower positions in the org, and at least they will get some knowledge of the business as they bow and scrape their way towards the top.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden grain View Post
Maybe what we are going through now is forcing well educated people to take lower positions in the org, and at least they will get some knowledge of the business as they bow and scrape their way towards the top.
Like it used to be. I don't mean bowing and scraping so much but when I first entered into the work force in the dinosaur days of the '60s, people attained supervisor and other high ranking positions mostly by coming up through the ranks. They had to know what the job was and be able to at least do some of it before they were put in charge.

The exception was women. They could train men to be supervisors but they were not allowed to have the jobs for which they were training the men. Not until later.

The way things are done today is to choose someone who plays the corporate game and put then in charge of people who hopefully know what the job is all about. Because all the leader has to do is watch over them.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:58 PM

1,738 posts, read 768,857 times
I don't usually watch this show, but with nothing else on that I wanted to watch. As well as the previews...I watched tonight...Oh, how glad I am that I did. Tears in my eyes...so good. I liked that it seemed to really affect the "Boss". He seemed very sincere. It was a good show.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:47 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,716,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloWorldItsMe View Post
I don't usually watch this show, but with nothing else on that I wanted to watch. As well as the previews...I watched tonight...Oh, how glad I am that I did. Tears in my eyes...so good. I liked that it seemed to really affect the "Boss". He seemed very sincere. It was a good show.
I don't usually watch it either but did tonight. I agree, the "Boss" did seem sincere.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:38 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,380,981 times
Not to mention how generous he was compared to the other undercover bosses. He really gave a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV