Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:22 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,220,137 times

Advertisements

Through the years I've watched a lot of sci-fi shows come and go. Some were engaging and some were outright duds. A lot are now forgotten, but anyone remember these?:

"Something Is Out There" - late 1980's series with an attractive female alien assisting an Earth cop in crime solving.

"Project U.F.O.". Late 1970's series based on the USAF's Project Blue Book. I liked it, but then I was only 17 at the time.

"Starman" - based on the movie of the same name. Watched a few episodes but never got into it. Starred Robert Hays.

"The Phoenix" - You get a cookie if you watched this one. IIRC, lasted only a few episodes in 1982. I think I saw 2 of them. Ancient astronaut (Judson Scott) awakens on Earth and goes on a quest - or something like that.

"War Of The Worlds" - late 1980's show based on the movie. Not too bad overall, but I think I lost interest toward the end.

"Planet Of The Apes" - I actually liked this late 1970's show but I guess there's no accounting for taste. Pretty much carried on from the movie version.

Of course in more recent times there was "Earth 2", "SeaQuest DSV", "Dark Skies", "Threshold", "Surface", etc. I'd have to say that I liked the majority of them, but as soon as I get into a series it gets cancelled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 08:32 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
"The Phoenix" - You get a cookie if you watched this one. IIRC, lasted only a few episodes in 1982. I think I saw 2 of them. Ancient astronaut (Judson Scott) awakens on Earth and goes on a quest - or something like that.
If that's the same show I'm thinking of, I loved it when I was a kid. Was the lead the same guy who played Khan's second-in-command in Star Trek II?

I don't remember him being an ancient astronaut though. I thought he was an alien. In fact, if I remember correctly, this show was spinoff of another show, The Powers of Matthew Star. But I was only 10 or so at the time, so I may be remembering it wrong.

Quote:
"Planet Of The Apes" - I actually liked this late 1970's show but I guess there's no accounting for taste. Pretty much carried on from the movie version.
I LOVED that show! Every now and then, the SciFi Channel will run a marathon of this show.

Quote:
Of course in more recent times there was "Earth 2", "SeaQuest DSV", "Dark Skies", "Threshold", "Surface", etc. I'd have to say that I liked the majority of them, but as soon as I get into a series it gets cancelled
SeaQuest DSV had a good pilot, a GREAT potential, but it never quite lived up to either. The writers couldn't seem to decide if they wanted to be The Hunt for Red October or Star Trek. But the first season is definitely worth a viewing. A fun, if not great, show.

Threshold also started out great. And I loved the cast. Fantastic cast! But the show soon grew repetitive. Every week they were chasing down another hidden alien. Got old quick.

Surface was awesome. That's a series I liked enough to buy the DVD. Had a very Spielbergian flavor to it. I was very disappointed it was cancelled.

Honorable mention must also go to The Incredible Hulk from the '70s. When I was a kid, I NEVER missed this show, and I still enjoy watching it. It looks very dated now, but Bill Bixby was fantastic in the role.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:36 AM

"The Phoenix" - yep, that's the one. I guess I equate "ancient astronaut" with "alien".

Old 05-16-2010, 08:47 AM

Remember Voyagers? Voyager - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia!

Time-traveling adventurers. Kind of a sillier take on the Quantum Leap idea. Intended more for kids than adults.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:02 AM

Never saw a single episode of that one. Guess it looked too silly even back then. Although I guess no worse than "Automan" or "Manimal"

Old 05-16-2010, 09:06 AM

I vaguely remember Automan, although I don't think I ever watched it. Wasn't it a sort of TRON knockoff?

Manimal... heh. You know, some shows are forgotten because they deserve to be forgotten.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:09 AM

Remember Max Headroom? I only saw a few episodes, because I was in high school at the time and just not into TV. But the few episodes I saw were actually really cool.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:15 AM

5,296 posts, read 7,238,034 times
I used to watch The Invaders.
Saw a few episodes recently, I just had to laugh.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:38 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Anybody watch the British Sci-Fi show "Blake's7"? It was created in the by Terry Nation in the 70's who gave us the Daleks in Doctor Who. B7 came to the US in the 80's but as far as I know was shown only on some PBS stations.

Automan and Max Headroom were also favorites. Bill Maher once played a villian on Max Headroom.

Geeze, I need a life.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:14 AM

4,386 posts, read 4,239,114 times
I really like Alien Nation. It was a cop show with a twist. Mandy Patinkin was great. The show had family drama too, with his kids not wanting to assimilate into the human society.

I remember that they had to eat raw meat and drink curdled milk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV