Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:02 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,826 times

Advertisements

Heard they are remaking the series....I always wondered when they would get around to it.

The following is the CBS press release from May 19, 2010: Hawaii Five-O is a contemporary take on the classic series about a new elite federalized task force whose mission is to wipe out the crime that washes up on the Islands' sun-drenched beaches. Detective Steve McGarrett (O'Loughlin), a decorated Naval officer turned cop, returns to Oahu to investigate his father’s murder and stays after Hawaii’s governor persuades him to head up the new team: his rules, her backing, no red tape and full blanket immunity to hunt down the biggest “game” in town. Joining McGarrett is Detective Danny “Danno” Williams (Caan), a newly relocated ex-New Jersey cop who prefers skyscrapers to the coastline but is committed to keeping the Islands safe for his 8-year-old daughter; and Chin Ho Kelly (Dae Kim), an ex-Honolulu Police Detective wrongly accused of corruption and relegated to a federal security patrol, who is also a former protégé of McGarrett’s father. Chin’s cousin, Kono (Park), is a beautiful and fearless native, fresh out of the academy and eager to establish herself among the department’s elite. McGarrett vows to bring closure to his father’s case while the state’s brash new Five-O unit, who may spar and jest among themselves, is determined to eliminate the seedy elements from the 50th state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 05:56 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,761,065 times
They need to get David Caruso to leave CSI Miami to play the McGarrett part; he is the only person with an ego as huge as Jack Lord.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:24 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
I used to watch Hawaii 5-0 with my dad - will give this new version a try. Glad they didn't get Caruso - I can't stand him! Physically, I could see Josh Brolin in the Jack Lord role even though he's beefier.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:25 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I used to watch Hawaii 5-0 with my dad - will give this new version a try. Glad they didn't get Caruso - I can't stand him! Physically, I could see Josh Brolin in the Jack Lord role even though he's beefier.
That's a possibility. I knew, though they would come around and re-make the series. I will at least be fair and give it a try.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:17 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
There will always be one and only one Steve McGarrett

Old 05-21-2010, 04:27 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Like all remakes, this too will suck.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:38 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Like all remakes, this too will suck.

Come on now, don't ya have any hope?

Old 05-22-2010, 09:29 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Not all remakes are bad. Depending on the creators, sometimes the remakes are as good as or even better than the originals. I site:

Star Trek (remade how many times now?)
The Office (both American and British versions are great)
Maverick (great movie based on a decent TV show)
Sanford and Son (Originally the British series Steptoe and Son)
All In The Family (Originally the British series Till Death Do Us Part)

Jury is still out on the new A-Team movie.

Seven Samurai has been redone how many times? There’s The Magnificent Seven, A Bug’s Life, and there’s supposedly a new one in the works with George Clooney.

A Fistful of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More (both brilliant) were remakes of Japanese movies.

Whether or not the new Hawaii 5-0 will be any good is anyone's guess. Cast is decent so far. But the quality of a series tends to hang upon the quality of the directing and writing. Honestly though, I think the original series is way overrated. One of the best theme songs ever, to be sure, but the show itself isn't the untarnished classic so many people seem to remember. It was a good show. But not great.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:17 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
I am looking forward to this remake. The thing is, you have to clear your mind completely of the original series and that is hard to do. Another challenge is the networks giving new shows only a few weeks to succeed. I find this unfair, especially with the number of entertainment options available nowadays. Hopefully the new version will be good.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:43 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Not all remakes are bad. Depending on the creators, sometimes the remakes are as good as or even better than the originals. I site:

Star Trek (remade how many times now?)
The Office (both American and British versions are great)
Maverick (great movie based on a decent TV show)
Sanford and Son (Originally the British series Steptoe and Son)
All In The Family (Originally the British series Till Death Do Us Part)

Jury is still out on the new A-Team movie.

Seven Samurai has been redone how many times? There’s The Magnificent Seven, A Bug’s Life, and there’s supposedly a new one in the works with George Clooney.

A Fistful of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More (both brilliant) were remakes of Japanese movies.
Most of the good remakes you've named were non-US shows or films remade for an American audience. Still there is the Battlestar Galactica remake, though not entirely to my taste, which was more successful than the original (in terms of longevity and critical success) even if one prefers the original.

And I bring that up because to me that's the kind of thing where you can do a good remake. Pick a series based on an interesting idea, but that was canceled relatively fast. Unfortunately the examples coming to my mind (Profit, Starman, Strange Luck) are maybe too recent.

Hawaii Five-0 lasted twelve seasons and I don't see it as being based on an unusual idea. So I don't see how any remake can do anything but be in the shadows of the original. It seems like a foolish idea to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV