Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 11:27 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Food Network and the Cooking Channel are owned by the same company. We watch Food Network frequently because we like Triple D, Iron Chef America and Throwdown.

We watched a couple of the biography programs on Cooking about stars that are on Food Network.

I think we'll have to wait and see of Cooking Channel finds a good audience. Food Network found out people like to watch competition programs, so that's what the run.
That same company also owns HGTV and the DIY network and they're doing the same thing to HGTV that they're doing to Food Network. First, they deep-sixed ALL of the gardening and craft shows. The home decorating shows were next to go, mostly replaced by real estate themed programs that were all about stress, stress, stress. Will they sell? Will they buy?? Will the deal fall through??? No more learning what color goes with what and new ideas to reface your fireplace.

They had one competition show "Design Star" where viewers got to pick a person to host a new design program. It was VERY popular. But then the network hired Mark Burnett to revamp it. He took away the public voting aspect and made the show into a carbon copy of Trump's Apprentice program. If you look at the volumes of mail on the network's message boards, you will see that the viewers HATE these changes.

But network executives are always happy to reiterate they don't care a whit about what members of the public who aren't 18 to 45 want, so I'm sure the contest shows will keep coming on the home channels, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 12:13 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,043,173 times
I love that channel. It has the old shows I loved and some new ones that go to different places and are not just about cooking, but food.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:30 PM

255 posts, read 535,969 times
Does this new channel show "Taste" from the old food network? That show was the best.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:46 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
That same company also owns HGTV and the DIY network and they're doing the same thing to HGTV that they're doing to Food Network. First, they deep-sixed ALL of the gardening and craft shows. The home decorating shows were next to go, mostly replaced by real estate themed programs that were all about stress, stress, stress. Will they sell? Will they buy?? Will the deal fall through??? No more learning what color goes with what and new ideas to reface your fireplace.
I hated when the craft shows went over to DIY but I refused to pay for a higher tier with my satellite company just to get them. I just watch the ones on PBS now. Essentially the crafts shows could be a commericial because of them naming the products they were using we'd go out to buy. They had high viewer ratings and now it seems the food ones that have that will most likely go over to a paid channel.

Anybody think the Cooking Channel will become that paid channel?

phrumpster I have not watched/seen a show called Taste on Cooking Channel.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:59 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,083,605 times
Just what we need. Another channel to show people how to fry an egg. And when that's not being done, plenty of more half hour infomercials.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:51 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
First off, I think what's going on is they're using the old series as filler until the new shows have been filmed or set up. Secondly, if they're going to bring in some PBS cooking shows then I want to see Justin Wilson and Yan Can Cook again.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:22 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I hated when the craft shows went over to DIY but I refused to pay for a higher tier with my satellite company just to get them.
I never got DIY or FLN when I had Comcast cable, but I get all these channels in a non-premium tier of DirecTV now that I switched. Getting more channels for less money is the best thing about DirecTV. But I've never seen any craft shows on DIY. Hardcore building shows like Dream Home, Garage Majal (which I adore!), House Crashers, etc. They have some landscaping shows, but they're definitely about LANDSCAPING, not gardening, as in the old "growing plants" shows they used to have in the "golden era" of HGTV.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:39 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,194,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I never got DIY or FLN when I had Comcast cable, but I get all these channels in a non-premium tier of DirecTV now that I switched. Getting more channels for less money is the best thing about DirecTV. But I've never seen any craft shows on DIY. Hardcore building shows like Dream Home, Garage Majal (which I adore!), House Crashers, etc. They have some landscaping shows, but they're definitely about LANDSCAPING, not gardening, as in the old "growing plants" shows they used to have in the "golden era" of HGTV.
Here in my area if I switch from DirectTV to Dish I could get DIY for free with the lowest tier. With my DirectTv I am on the lowest tier DIY is the next tier up. I am already paying almost $67 per month for the same channels we started out paying $35. Didn't go ahead to switch to 2 years worth of Dish at $39 because then I have to stay with them another year at almost $70 per month. So your DIY doesn't have any craft shows now?

Old 06-20-2010, 12:29 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,976,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
First off, I think what's going on is they're using the old series as filler until the new shows have been filmed or set up. Secondly, if they're going to bring in some PBS cooking shows then I want to see Justin Wilson and Yan Can Cook again.
Justin Wilson and my Mom taught me about the trinity. You are so spot on for mentioning him. Justin helped calm me down when cooking. I wish they would bring him back.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:06 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,043,173 times
Yup, I agree.

Good shows=Yan Can Cook/Frugal Gourmet/Ming Tsai/ COoking with Jacques ann\d Claudette- cracks me up when he yells at her and she acts like she has never been in a kitchen before and knives stump her. He seems like a PIA dad growing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV