Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 05:40 PM

82 posts, read 221,811 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Tyler and looking for homes in south Tyler, maybe as far as Whitehouse, or as far southwest as Flint. We will be connected with the administration at TJC so would like a home within a 20 minute commute. I am an artist and will be looking for a home with studio space and hoping to begin to take in private art students, though I haven't seen much in the way of visual art interest in Tyler other than the museum and colleges. I'd love to hear suggestions for nice subdivisions and/or areas to stay away from. We don't have children living with us, so school district is not a problem. We're flying in this weekend for our first look.

Debbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 07:30 PM

43 posts, read 142,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by produrre View Post
My husband and I are moving to Tyler and looking for homes in south Tyler, maybe as far as Whitehouse, or as far southwest as Flint.
I live in Flint which is directly south of Tyler. The so called Extraterritorial Jurisdiction of the City of Tyler extends to a patch of my woods. The drive to the Loop 323 is maybe 15 minutes along 155.

Anywhere south of the Loop will be fine. You should also consider homes in Bullard and environs.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:17 PM

30 posts, read 181,685 times
DH and I visited Tyler and thought it absolutely gorgeous. We especially liked the older homes in/near the Azalea District.

I have a question for some here who live or HAVE lived in Tyler.

An acquaintance just yesterday was describing her life in Tyler (she and her family just moved away from Tyler). She claims that while it IS a beautiful place, the social strata are so distinct, so important. She has two elementary-age children and disliked how (in her words) they could never really "be part of" the top shelf. She claims that Tyler is very (quietly) preoccupied with OLD Tyler money, the names only of those who started the city, that whole vein. She said that while the city isn't small, it's small enough that everyone is aware of who you are, or aren't.

Does this ring true??

Old 03-03-2007, 02:30 AM

43 posts, read 142,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLee82 View Post
DH and I visited Tyler and thought it absolutely gorgeous. We especially liked the older homes in/near the Azalea District.

I have a question for some here who live or HAVE lived in Tyler.

An acquaintance just yesterday was describing her life in Tyler (she and her family just moved away from Tyler). She claims that while it IS a beautiful place, the social strata are so distinct, so important. She has two elementary-age children and disliked how (in her words) they could never really "be part of" the top shelf. She claims that Tyler is very (quietly) preoccupied with OLD Tyler money, the names only of those who started the city, that whole vein. She said that while the city isn't small, it's small enough that everyone is aware of who you are, or aren't.

Does this ring true??
I've lived in the Tyler area for just a few years so perhaps my opinions are premature but here they are anyway.

Tyler has grown dramatically over the last couple of decades but there remains a faction consisting of those whose families made money (in some cases a very large amount of money) in the first Texas oil boom a century ago. They are supplemented by a few families who founded the leading non-oil businesses of the town (banks, grocery stores, etc).

Like many small town "elites" they are more ridiculous than anything else, trying to ape what they perceive to be the sophistication of the big city folk while remaining, at the core, rubes.

True, wealth will always give people a certain power and influence bit, in the final analysis, they are being supplanted by the influx of people from out of state.

My wife, the quintessential workaholic despite our both being retired, has, in just the few years we've lived here, become the head of every organization she's chosen to become involved in from the Friends of the Library to the League of Women voters to the Master Gardeners Club. Her status as an outsider hasn't been the slightest barrier.

My sense is that "outsiders" are coming to slowly dominate the community. The old "elite" may try to fight a rear guard action but they are, in the final analysis, doomed.

Bottom line is I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:24 AM

216 posts, read 934,612 times
My parents retired to Tyler and are involved in a wide array of volunteer and civic activities. They aren't old money, big money, or even much money at all.

Every school district in East Texas has its issues with kids working into that top group. Kids usually adapt well enough to get through those issues.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:58 AM

11 posts, read 54,060 times
Tyler is really a good little town, better yet I like Lindale just out of Tyler.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 15,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnative View Post
Tyler is really a good little town, better yet I like Lindale just out of Tyler.
I live in Youngstown, Ohio and we are thinking of moving to Tyler. Can you tell me about it? I know the grass isn't always greener on the other side, but i'm sure it's warmer there! The weather here really stinks, it can change every l5 minutes. Winters are very cold (not much snow) and last from Nov. to March or April usually. Summers, well you niver know what it's going to do. Sometimes we get a lot of rain and for months on end it can be very gloomy. Not much sunshine at all. Plus jobs here, well there are hardly any. Lots of places closing down. My husband's company is expanding and building in Kilgore, but we would not live there as it looks like there is nothing there. Tyler is about a 30 min. drive to the plant. I would also have to look for work. I have 20yrs. hospital experience. So i would appreciate if you can give me some insight on this town. Thank You.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:34 PM

216 posts, read 934,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macoulter922 View Post
I live in Youngstown, Ohio and we are thinking of moving to Tyler. Can you tell me about it? I know the grass isn't always greener on the other side, but i'm sure it's warmer there! The weather here really stinks, it can change every l5 minutes. Winters are very cold (not much snow) and last from Nov. to March or April usually. Summers, well you niver know what it's going to do. Sometimes we get a lot of rain and for months on end it can be very gloomy. Not much sunshine at all. Plus jobs here, well there are hardly any. Lots of places closing down. My husband's company is expanding and building in Kilgore, but we would not live there as it looks like there is nothing there. Tyler is about a 30 min. drive to the plant. I would also have to look for work. I have 20yrs. hospital experience. So i would appreciate if you can give me some insight on this town. Thank You.
Orgill I assume?

Kilgore is not THAT small, it has most of what you would need and is close enough to Tyler and Longview for expanded shopping, etc.

Many people from Kilgore work in Longview. Longview is only about 15 minutes away and could be a better fit. Because of the bars, the strip clubs, the adult drive-in theater/book store, and the liquor stores ... I always feel uncomfortable on the drive on Hwy. 31 between Kilgore and Tyler.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:03 PM

5 posts, read 31,682 times
Just got back from Tyler. We will be moving there soon. Loved the private schools and the area is great. Friendly people. Everyone waves!! I hear public school in Tyler is not great. I hear Grace Community school is good. Anyone no anything on Grace Community school????? I like what I have heard so far.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:48 PM

3 posts, read 15,410 times
What is there to do in Tyler??? Are there a lot of stores, bars, museums?? Are the people there friendly or snooty?? And how is the weather? I heard the pay rate there is much lower than up north and is that true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler