Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2010, 10:25 PM

30 posts, read 125,108 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm a non Spanish speaking nurse looking to go to Inter American university to study nurse anesthesia. Does anyone have any insight on the program? I've searched all kinds of nursing forums trying to find a student (current or alumist) or even a CRNA that work in PR to ask about clinicals and expectations. I plan to take a language immersion program and I have almost a year to learn the language. I've had 2 years of Spanish before so I'm not worried about that. I was told that classes, book, and tests are in English. I just need Spanish for clinicals. Anybody have any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 10:55 PM

238 posts, read 1,071,286 times
I've always heard the Inter is one of those private universities, the bad kind. Like University of Phoenix. Straight from an ex-professor who used to work with Inter, she was pressured to graduate students from classes who didn't deserve it, simply because the school wanted to the students to continue enrolling in courses and make more money.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:58 PM

It's private, but the anesthesia program at the public university,Recinto Medico, lost it's accreditation due to low pass rates and other problems. The Inter American University of Puerto Rico is still up and running so it must be ok. At least it's good enough for me :-)

Old 10-27-2010, 12:45 PM

834 posts, read 2,683,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyaluvdat View Post
Hi,
I'm a non Spanish speaking nurse looking to go to Inter American university to study nurse anesthesia. Does anyone have any insight on the program? I've searched all kinds of nursing forums trying to find a student (current or alumist) or even a CRNA that work in PR to ask about clinicals and expectations. I plan to take a language immersion program and I have almost a year to learn the language. I've had 2 years of Spanish before so I'm not worried about that. I was told that classes, book, and tests are in English. I just need Spanish for clinicals. Anybody have any insight?
You will probably do Ok. But keep in mind that if you plan to go back to the states you may have problems getting a job. Some facilities or groups don't know much about PR or the CRNA programs.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:44 AM

21 posts, read 50,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_2010 View Post
You will probably do Ok. But keep in mind that if you plan to go back to the states you may have problems getting a job. Some facilities or groups don't know much about PR or the CRNA programs.

are you refering to the one on carr459?. its a good school im almost sure the credits are good in the u.s.a., if you decide to live here i must warn you {the pay is not that good.} a paramedic earns 8-9 dollars per hour.

joey

Old 11-06-2010, 10:02 PM

I'm planning to attend InterAmerican University of PR in Arecibo. I don't want to live there. Just stay for 28 months while I go to school.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:50 AM

132 posts, read 289,937 times
The InterAmerican University is a private university. It has a good reputation and I've met people from the States that come to the Inter to study. OF COURSE it's cheaper!!! But it has a good standing.

I've worked at univeristies specially with compliance and the accreditation process for all private colleges/universities is not an easy one. So yes, this school has good standing. Arecibo is located in the north and that University is pretty close to UPR Arecibo (state univeristy). I cant say if the nursing program is good but you can actually try searching for more information on the internet.
Arecibo Campus is a small one (at least when I studied back in 1996). I know the accreditors usually demand that each campus expands itself, so I dont know if it has grown in facilties. Besides all the text books in all universities in PR ARE IN ENGLISH. It wont be so hard.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:43 PM

3 posts, read 17,286 times
Text books are in English, but classes and clinicals are in Spanish.. Be sure to learn the language.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,699 times
I am interested in that school as well. Do you think that diploma will transfer without a problem to the US?

Old 11-24-2014, 11:04 AM

16 posts, read 19,241 times
I'm also interested. Has anyone pursued a Business Degree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories