Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 11:35 PM

573 posts, read 2,059,453 times

Advertisements

The demographics of Puerto Rico is listed on wikipedia as 75.8% White, 12.4% Black, and only 0.5% American Indian. Why are the majority considered White? Compared this to El Salvador where I'm from, where almost 90% are Mestizo, mixed with American Indian and Spain. Would the 75.8% be considered 100% White?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 04:42 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
There is no category for mestizo in the US Census. Just mixed, but that implies, to most people, you are mixed with black

Old 03-30-2012, 06:04 AM

573 posts, read 2,059,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
There is no category for mestizo in the US Census. Just mixed, but that implies, to most people, you are mixed with black
I'm black? LOL. Not even close. Just cause someone is colored doesn't mean they are black. I am closer to being Native American than any other race since Hispanic isn't a race.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:00 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
Virtually all Puerto Ricans are what we would call "White Hispanic". That's 88% of the territory's population. The other 12% are a mix of Black and "White non-Hispanic" (the vast majority of these are US military or Federal government employees and their families mixed in with a few beach bums, surfers, and retirees).

I once started a gigantic 10 page discussion about this issue.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Virtually all Puerto Ricans are what we would call "White Hispanic". That's 88% of the territory's population. The other 12% are a mix of Black and "White non-Hispanic" (the vast majority of these are US military or Federal government employees and their families mixed in with a few beach bums, surfers, and retirees).

I once started a gigantic 10 page discussion about this issue.
The problem is White Hispanic is pretty much a misnomer. Most people that report themselves as White Hispanic usually are about 1/2 white only with some variation. Most Puerto Ricans are darker than Greeks, and being white in Puerto Rico is considered a virtue, much like the rest of Latin America so it is over reported

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
I'm black? LOL. Not even close. Just cause someone is colored doesn't mean they are black. I am closer to being Native American than any other race since Hispanic isn't a race.
Welcome to the USA.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:43 PM

10,109 posts, read 14,980,095 times
The average Puerto Rican is probably majority white when it comes to genetics.

According to this genetic study of Hispanics in the USA:

Quote:
...with the Dominicans and Puerto Ricans showing the highest levels of African ancestry (41.8% and 23.6% African, SDs 16% and 12%)...
If the average Puerto Rican is around a quarter black, then most of the rest of their genetic has to be either white or indigenous. I think its mostly white, but who knows...

Old 03-31-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
The average Puerto Rican is probably majority white when it comes to genetics.

According to this genetic study of Hispanics in the USA:

If the average Puerto Rican is around a quarter black, then most of the rest of their genetic has to be either white or indigenous. I think its mostly white, but who knows...
Most Puerto Ricans are definitely multi-racial, not white. I don't think the average Puerto Rican is more than half white. I'm pale compared to most Puerto Ricans on the street outside of Old San Juan, El Condado, and Isla Verde.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Demographics of Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-02-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are you going to trust some internet site, or someone that is actually from there? Believe me when I say that Puerto Ricans say they are white (~75% of us) but it is not the "white" Americans think of. It's not the Spanish or Argentinian white. Most "white" people in Puerto Rico have the same skin color as Middle Easterners and North Africans and so, according to most Americans, not true white. Oddly enough, most Mexicans say they are white, but we know better don't we? Most Puerto Ricans are mixed, whether we want to admit it or not. There's a white bias in Puerto Rico, and that must be addressed before you jump into conclusions.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:32 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Are you going to trust some internet site, or someone that is actually from there? Believe me when I say that Puerto Ricans say they are white (~75% of us) but it is not the "white" Americans think of. It's not the Spanish or Argentinian white. Most "white" people in Puerto Rico have the same skin color as Middle Easterners and North Africans and so, according to most Americans, not true white. Oddly enough, most Mexicans say they are white, but we know better don't we? Most Puerto Ricans are mixed, whether we want to admit it or not. There's a white bias in Puerto Rico, and that must be addressed before you jump into conclusions.
I know all of that. My point was to show information more in line with DNA distribution. You also have the fact that race is a social construct and what works in one culture/society isn't the same as another, even in this regard. Even in the US, many Whites are actually mixed with Native American, Black African and Asian ancestry. For instance, 30% of White Americans have Black ancestry ranging from 2-20%, but many people do not know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories