Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 01:45 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,006,897 times

Advertisements

I hope Puerto Rico never achieves statehood because I don't want the island to lose most of its rich culture like Hawaii did. Most Hawaii natives don't even speak the native Hawaiian language anymore. Puerto Rico would most likely lose all of its culture being so much closer to the US mainland than Hawaii is. So no, I hope it never happens.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 02-04-2015 at 02:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 01:50 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,111,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I hope Puerto Rico never achieves statehood because I don't want the island to lose most of it's rich culture like Hawaii did. Most Hawaii natives don't even speak the native Hawaiian language anymore. Puerto Rico would most likely lose all of its culture being so much closer to the US mainland than Hawaii is. So no, I hope it never happens.
Completely different circumstances, for starters native Hawaiians had been a minority in Hawaii since long before annexation in 1898.

To put it in simple terms, over 4 million Anglos from the mainland would have to move to Puerto Rico for a similar result to happen in Puerto Rico. This old argument is "statehood = loss of culture" is plain old PPD pro-colony propaganda designed to scare people and hold Puerto Rico back. I don't see 4 million people moving to the island anytime soon ... if ever. In fact, Puerto Rico is hemorrhaging population.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:40 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,275,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I guess they changed the rules. There are currently 14 states with less than 2 million people, 6 of which have less than a million.

actually there is not an "official" rule. Congress has the power to declare the moon or any piece of rock a U.S. Territory or a U.S. State if U.S. CITIZENS live there and can vote to accept or reject the statehood act by congress.

what do the 4 states that have less than 1 million people have in common that VI don't have?

Wyoming, Alaska, North Dakota and South Dakota? LAND and natural resources!!! lots of it, and the feds own most of the land. It is in the best interest of the U.S. to make those territories into states and forever control those lands. The same goes with states on the west with less than 2 million population like Montana, Idaho and Nebraska...the Feds own most of that land permanently by making them states.

the other 2, Delaware was part of the 13 colonies and Vermont joined the Union as the 14th state but it was land always considered as part of the original 13 colonies.

VI is about 7.5 times smaller than Puerto Rico in land and for every 1 V.I resident there are 33,475 Puerto Ricans in PR..........You tell me if they going to make VI into a state and if that is a priority, based on what?

Last edited by Hellion1999; 02-04-2015 at 03:50 PM..

Old 02-04-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I hope Puerto Rico never achieves statehood because I don't want the island to lose most of its rich culture like Hawaii did. Most Hawaii natives don't even speak the native Hawaiian language anymore. Puerto Rico would most likely lose all of its culture being so much closer to the US mainland than Hawaii is. So no, I hope it never happens.

so basically your plan is to cut off Puerto Rico from the GLOBAL ECONOMY (especially the U.S) and outside cultures and American influence and ignore that over 5 million Puerto Ricans live in the mainland.

Who's fault is it that the Hawaii Natives don't speak their Native language anymore? who controls what languages are spoken in the house and churches? who controls the local public and private education in Hawaii? is NOT the federal government.

Where in the federal constitution demands only 1 language must be spoken or what culture and traditions must be upheld?

Puerto Rico has been under the U.S. flag for over a century......Puerto Ricans have been U.S. citizens since 1917. Millions of Puerto Ricans live in the 50 states.....they haven't lost their language or traditions.

Mexico and Peru and Ecuador are independent countries, how many of them speak the native INCA language or Mayan or Aztec language in Mexico and Guatemala?.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
so basically your plan is to cut off Puerto Rico from the GLOBAL ECONOMY (especially the U.S) and outside cultures and American influence and ignore that over 5 million Puerto Ricans live in the mainland.

Who's fault is it that the Hawaii Natives don't speak their Native language anymore? who controls what languages are spoken in the house and churches? who controls the local public and private education in Hawaii? is NOT the federal government.

Where in the federal constitution demands only 1 language must be spoken or what culture and traditions must be upheld?

Puerto Rico has been under the U.S. flag for over a century......Puerto Ricans have been U.S. citizens since 1917. Millions of Puerto Ricans live in the 50 states.....they haven't lost their language or traditions.

Mexico and Peru and Ecuador are independent countries, how many of them speak the native INCA language or Mayan or Aztec language in Mexico and Guatemala?.
Those other Latin American countries are an apples to oranges comparison. All I have to say is that don't come crying to me if Puerto Rico loses most of its culture as a direct result of the island achieving statehood. I don't know about you but I grew up around Puerto Ricans and most of them do not support statehood for the island.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Completely different circumstances, for starters native Hawaiians had been a minority in Hawaii since long before annexation in 1898.

To put it in simple terms, over 4 million Anglos from the mainland would have to move to Puerto Rico for a similar result to happen in Puerto Rico. This old argument is "statehood = loss of culture" is plain old PPD pro-colony propaganda designed to scare people and hold Puerto Rico back. I don't see 4 million people moving to the island anytime soon ... if ever. In fact, Puerto Rico is hemorrhaging population.
Who's to say that can't happen? Is it really out of the possibility that more Anglo Americans could move to Puerto Rico if it became an official US state?

Old 02-04-2015, 08:41 PM

7 posts, read 7,042 times
Well, in any event, just out of idle boredom, I made a simple concept flag for PRUSVI or Puerto Virgo. It's just the Puerto Rican flag with an added three stars to represent St Thomas, St John, and St Croix.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Those other Latin American countries are an apples to oranges comparison. All I have to say is that don't come crying to me if Puerto Rico loses most of its culture as a direct result of the island achieving statehood. I don't know about you but I grew up around Puerto Ricans and most of them do not support statehood for the island.

I don't cry for things under my control!

Explain how changing the Puerto Rican constitution from Commonwealth to Statehood will change over 500 years of language, culture and traditions?......are the gringos all of the sudden will move to Puerto Rico in large numbers and make the natives a minority and force the natives to listen to just Rock N Roll, Country and American Rap Music and only make us eat hamburgers and hot dogs and fries and force everybody just to speak English and tear down el Morro and the OLD SAN JUAN and put a latin Disney World and shopping malls? .....I forgot, most of those things are already in the island.

You grew up around Puerto Ricans living in the states that don't support statehood??????? LMAO!!!! that is funny! So why did they move to statehood if they don't like it? why not stay in the island?...........if they don't want statehood, what do they want independence? yeah i'm sure that their #1 priority is ECONOMY and independence is at the bottom of their list, that's why they move to the states.

tell your friends to get back in the plane, go back to Puerto Rico and vote and fight the cause for independence. They are not going to get it by living in the states the better life since you have to be a resident to vote in P.R. and make a difference .....lol

your friends reminds of a few Mexican friends I know, always talking bad about the U.S.A and when I tell them go back to Mexico if you don't like it here, they tell me " NOOOOOOO amigo, no es para tanto, mejor me quedo aqui"......half of them are here illegally which makes it more funny. They rather be here illegally and live in the shadows than to go back home to their country..,..that says it all how some Puerto Ricans take for granted their U.S. Citizenship and how good they have it compare to other Latinos.

Like my GRANDMA used to say: Siempre habla (critica) el que menos puede.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:33 PM

688 posts, read 1,118,170 times
Question(s): Do residents of the USVIs pay federal income taxes? Do they pay into Social Security? Does the USVI have a local "state" income tax?

Old 08-22-2015, 11:43 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
Quote:

If its culture is to be deluded then it is already happening, its already part of the US. Statehood would not change it. I personally think that it would be very hard to change the culture of PR given the fact that it has a sizeable population. A lot of people from the mainland would have to move there, and even then it would take a long time. You have to remember that often newcomers adopt the culture of their new state, so how long would it take to really ruin PRs Hispanic culture?? PR is part of the United States and it will always have a Hispanic flair, with some mainland influences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories