Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2015, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,978 times

Advertisements

Would someone please elaborate on the cost of living on the Isle of Vieques, specifically in Esperanza. I would like to know about the cost of buying a 2 bedroom home of about 700- 800 sq. ft. or renting the same. I could rent or buy anywhere else on the island though if necessary. Also I need to know the monthly cost of electricity and water for my home. I am single and my retirement income would be about $1,700.00 per month net. In 3 years it will increase to $2,400.00 net. How about the cost of groceries on the island. Are there any large supermarkets/Wal-Marts in Fajardo. How many part-time employment opportunities are there anywhere on the island, or in Fajardo. Now that I am done with the practical aspects, how about the social aspects of life on the island. Are there many expats from the mainland in town and how active is the community. Esperanza is called a "funky bohemian enclave" with it's laid back "don't worry be happy" atmosphere. Is that true. Are the people open minded and free spirited. I love the beaches for sunbathing and swimming/snorkeling. I also like to walk and ride my bicycle/hike and explore the wilderness/have a cool drink at the bar while looking out on the ocean. I know Puerto Rico has a mild climate and warm waters, but what are the average air and water temperatures for Esperanza in the winter and summer like for a sunbather. How about the average rainfall in winter and summer. Any other facts I should know? Also I would like the same info about Fajardo in case I would have to live or work there. Sorry for all the questions, but I am very serious about this move to the "Isle of Enchantment" in retirement. Tour help and comments would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely. Edward D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 06:16 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Dayton View Post
Would someone please elaborate on the cost of living on the Isle of Vieques, specifically in Esperanza. I would like to know about the cost of buying a 2 bedroom home of about 700- 800 sq. ft. or renting the same. I could rent or buy anywhere else on the island though if necessary. Also I need to know the monthly cost of electricity and water for my home. I am single and my retirement income would be about $1,700.00 per month net. In 3 years it will increase to $2,400.00 net. How about the cost of groceries on the island. Are there any large supermarkets/Wal-Marts in Fajardo. How many part-time employment opportunities are there anywhere on the island, or in Fajardo. Now that I am done with the practical aspects, how about the social aspects of life on the island. Are there many expats from the mainland in town and how active is the community. Esperanza is called a "funky bohemian enclave" with it's laid back "don't worry be happy" atmosphere. Is that true. Are the people open minded and free spirited. I love the beaches for sunbathing and swimming/snorkeling. I also like to walk and ride my bicycle/hike and explore the wilderness/have a cool drink at the bar while looking out on the ocean. I know Puerto Rico has a mild climate and warm waters, but what are the average air and water temperatures for Esperanza in the winter and summer like for a sunbather. How about the average rainfall in winter and summer. Any other facts I should know? Also I would like the same info about Fajardo in case I would have to live or work there. Sorry for all the questions, but I am very serious about this move to the "Isle of Enchantment" in retirement. Tour help and comments would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely. Edward D.
lol! Edward, you have too many questions to be addressed online. My recommendation - and the only recourse for you to find your answers - is that you go put your feet on the street. This is a big move: you are best served by spending a month in those areas, and seeing for yourself.

I don't want to come off as offputting, but really - what you want to know can only be discovered first hand.

Best wishes, Jane

Old 09-08-2015, 09:47 AM

811 posts, read 1,146,474 times
Hey Edward,

Sounds like you have some exciting ideas/plans! I do agree that you'll probably not find the satisfying, specific answers to a lot of those questions here on CD. My experience with Vieques is limited, but I'll help where I can. I've said it many times on CD to potential Caribbean-bound folks, but you really ought to spend some time there, first hand, before you dive head-first into it. Whether you end up loving it or hating it, it is very different than what you are imagining. That, I promise you.

$1700/mo is not going to go very far on a Caribbean island. The further you get from civilization, the more expensive basic goods cost. PR is less expensive than many other islands down the chain, but Vieques is already a boat or plane ride away from PR AND it's a haute resort area. It's more expensive.

It will require some research on your part - I'm not intimately familiar with current rental costs on Vieques - but I can say confidently that you'll be hard-pressed to find a 1-bd rental for less than $1000/mo. At that price, it will also not be a premium location, have a view, etc. I don't know specifics about utilities on PR or Vieques, but power in the Caribbean is NOT cheap. On St Thomas, I pay over $200/mo electricity in a small 1-bd (where we are vigilant about light and fan usage) and have no a/c. A/C will bankrupt you. Again, you'll want to research more specifically for Vieques, but even a $2000/mo budget would not leave you with much, if any, fun money each month, after rent, utilities, groceries, and incidentals. That doesn't mean it's impossible though! You'll just need to get connected with some people and places there, first hand, to find out.

Amenities are not a selling point of Vieques. You do not have a wide variety of shops or grocery stores to choose from. What you do have is small, with a small (+ unreliable) selection of goods. PR has a wide variety of shopping, but you will find that commuting to and from will be unrealistic on a very regular basis. I do believe there is a Walmart in or near Fajardo.

I'm sorry that I don't have more specific info for you regarding the nuances of life on Vieques, but you really ought to experience it first-hand (go rent for a month before committing), so that you can get a good feel for it. The next best thing (and something you can do immediately) is to join the Vieques community Facebook page. This will be the best way to see what's really happening there and to connect with people who live there and are in the know. You can ask your specific questions there and probably get better help.

Good luck! Vieques is a beautiful place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories