Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 06:34 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,273,201 times

Advertisements

I can't speak for the charters schools in all the states. I can only speak for the ones I'm familiar with like in Utah, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado and Florida because I had my son, family members and the kids of my friends attend and it worked for them.

I'm all for choices, the more competition the better the quality. If your public school in your district isn't working out for your kids and you are low income, you have choices with charter schools and school vouchers. Like everything, it depends the people running it but you have choices which is better than NO choice.

Again, Teacher's Union and political bosses in the cities are against it because it's less control for them and less federal aid money for them to control but I don't care about them, I care more about the parents and giving them more control of the lives of their children and the type of education they want for their kids.

The Public Schools in Puerto Rico have been pretty bad since I can remember and I was born 1971. Let the Governor try Charter Schools and school choice and see if that works out for a % of families in the island. Anything to takeout the power from the central government and politicians and government "BATATAS" (yams, a Puerto Rican term for government employees that collect a paycheck and benefits and do absolutely nothing positive for the country) and give it to the people and teachers at the local level would be great and real reform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 07:44 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
I'm baaaaaaaack! I had to take a break from the CityData forum but I am back now that the [domain blocked due to spam] Puerto Rico forum was closed.

Anyhow, where to begin? Carmen Yulin is an unmitigated disaster for San Juan. She has literally zero (positive) accomplishments as mayor. She gets booed by members of her own party at political and public events. The reality is that she has more support among the mainland liberals (that only follow her solely because she criticized Trump, they know literally nothing else about her) and independenistas (especially those Nuyorican independenistas) than among Populares. Everyone knows she's a Popular only out of electoral expediency than for her political beliefs. She is for all intents and purposes a full blown independenista and indistinguishable from Maria de Lourdes Santiago of the PIP in terms of political views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories