Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Puerto Rico become a state or an independent nation?
State 75 41.90%
Independent nation 84 46.93%
Other (please specify in your post) 20 11.17%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 09:16 PM

10,282 posts, read 15,152,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
Shouldn't Puerto Ricans be given the choice of re-associating with Spain?

It was ruled by Spain for hundreds of years until the US took it away.

Why not offer the option of becoming an associated territory of Spain, perhaps with EU membership?

It seems absurd that decades after the British, French and Portugese empires ended, the US still has a colony.
There is a group of Puerto Ricans advocating returning to Spain, but they are a very small minority. The idea that you present here has been in existence for many years.

This took place at the United Nations in 2017 about "decolonization" issues. He was (or continue to be) part of the Puerto Ricans advocating returning to Spain. Unfortunately, his speech is only in Spanish, but there he is making the case towards that.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7WfDm5XpZY[/

I personally think the possibility that Puerto Rico will become part of Spain is slim, but I guess the previous videos simply show that there is a small group of Puerto Ricans that would like to see that happen.

You will find Puerto Ricans that think Puerto Rico should remain as it is, others that it should become a state of the USA, others that it should become a province of Spain, and others that it should become an independent country. I would say reuniting with Spain has the smallest support among Puerto Ricans of the four possibilities mention here.

Last edited by Sunscape; 08-12-2021 at 07:46 AM..

Old 08-10-2021, 12:43 AM

13,649 posts, read 4,375,127 times
There are all kinds of groups wanting attention on social media. If the PIP has become a joke for a while and can't win 1 town out of 78 with their b.s. then these Spaniards charlatans took it to another level of comedy. They don't speak for the U.S. who holds all the cards and they don't speak for Spain. You are telling me of all the colonies Spain had over a century ago which don't belong to the U.S., they only miss Puerto Rico and want it back and are going to muscle the U.S. and pay them back for over a century of American investments in P.R.? LOL What's next, the Philippines and Venezuela to be part of Spain.

Don't give this guy any more fuel for comedy. There isn't a "slim" hope. There is NONE. I guess any cat can make a youtube video about anything. Don't you think these jokers before making any group video would get the approval of Spain or the U.S. or even the Puerto Rican people before writing checks they can't cash?

It's like me speaking for the Italian government when I'm not from there or I never got any authorization from Italy to make any deals then speak for millions of citizens of Germany to be transfer to Italy. People believe in their own b.s.

by the way, these cats going to the United Nations to solve the P.R. status has to be a joke. It looks pathetic when the "independentistas" do it but now these Spaniard rejects have 5 minutes of their b.s. when they don't represent the U.S., Spain or Puerto Rico. The U.N. is not going to muscle the U.S. over P.R. The U.S. owns the U.N. Giving these jokers 5 minutes at the U.N. when nobody is listening and nothing will come out of it shows why the UN has become a joke.

I want to start a group. I want Puerto Rico to return to the Taino power system. Get rid of all white people from the island, that includes the small group of Spaniards rejects in the island. I want my 5 minutes at the UN with my b.s.

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 08-10-2021 at 12:56 AM..
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories