Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 09:53 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,513 times

Advertisements

As the title of my post asks, are there any posters here currently residing in PR? I wonder how many posters live on the island. If you do reside in PR, are you planning to move to Mainland USA anytime soon? My family is closely divided in that respect. While most live in PR, almost as many reside on the mainland. A few of those living on the island are considering relocating out of PR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2022, 11:31 AM

13,442 posts, read 4,287,635 times
Not ignoring you, I don't live there full time but I visit (now it's harder to travel due the inflation and cost) so your post isn't for me even though I know a lot about the island and the people.

All the people I know in the island are staying put because of the inflation. Not a good time to move unless you really have to.

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 07-07-2022 at 11:50 AM..

Old 07-12-2022, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,992 times
. Yes, I do live here (Puerto Rico) now

Last edited by Sunscape; 05-12-2023 at 02:19 PM..

Old 07-12-2022, 09:29 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoylina_ View Post
Sí, ahora vivo aquí (Puerto Rico) . Yes, I do live here (Puerto Rico) now
Hi. Would it be fair to conclude that, like many other Boricuas, you are considering moving to Mainland USA? If so, what is motivating you to move out of PR? Would you advise anyone to move to PR?

Saludos

Old 07-13-2022, 03:34 AM

2 posts, read 5,992 times
Hola ! (Hi!) . (I am indeed considering moving to mainland USA. , I’ve lived in Puerto Rico all of my life. It’s time for a change of scenery) . Estoy debatiendo si quiero mudarme permanente o temporalmente. (I'm debating whether I want to move permanently or temporarily.)

(I would advise people to move to Puerto Rico, but please make sure you do your research before you just go move, because although it’s part of the United States, it’s very different than actual states. )

Last edited by Sunscape; 05-19-2023 at 09:54 AM..

Old 07-13-2022, 11:19 AM

All the states and cities and towns are different from each other. Is not the end of the world if it doesn't work out. You just get on a plane and leave. It's really that simple. You have nothing to lose because it's an experience. You have to move to Puerto Rico to live it. You can't read it or watch it on Youtube or go to school to prepare for it. You just do it. There is nothing like the people and the culture in P.R. It depends more on the person than the place. If you are open minded and are ready to absorb the culture and people you will have an experience of something that no other U.S. city offers or the world.

This is not like the Soviets states or North Korea that once you are in, it's impossible to get out. What makes the United States the best country in the world is how easy you can move within. You have bad places but it's easy to move out or like my Grandma use to say, it's a mental state.

I grew up poor in Puerto Rico by today's standards (We didn't know it at the time) but it was one of the best highlights in my life. I can't explain it but it has to do more about the person and expectations and how well can you adapt and absorb.

Old 05-12-2023, 06:08 AM

109 posts, read 99,040 times
Post Do Your Research

I moved to the states 16 years ago, initially to Florida and now Massachusetts. I didn’t do my research on Florida and found that its economy is mostly for people with low-skills and little college education. Not only that, but I have a master’s degree and most opportunities in my field offered salaries corresponding to someone with lower credentials. That’s when I realized that I needed to get out of Florida.

So, I sat down to write down my priorities. After some research, I found out that Massachusetts was a better fit. The cost of living is much higher than Florida, but salaries are higher, disposable income is higher, the labor force is well-qualified, and employers require advanced degrees. More than 40% of Massachusetts’ population 25 or older have a bachelor’s degree or higher. It’s the most educated state.

I suggest you to research here on city-data, the FBI crime explorer database, the US Census, the unemployment rate and key industries from the Department of Labor, etc. Don’t move out of Puerto Rico out of desperation without doing your homework, or you will regret it because not every state is the same.

Old 05-12-2023, 02:44 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,892,327 times
I see that some are giving some advice about this, and there is at least one person who does live there.

I was born there and have lived there, but it’s been years that I have been away.

Old 05-13-2023, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegomar2007 View Post
I moved to the states 16 years ago, initially to Florida and now Massachusetts. I didn’t do my research on Florida and found that its economy is mostly for people with low-skills and little college education. Not only that, but I have a master’s degree and most opportunities in my field offered salaries corresponding to someone with lower credentials. That’s when I realized that I needed to get out of Florida.

So, I sat down to write down my priorities. After some research, I found out that Massachusetts was a better fit. The cost of living is much higher than Florida, but salaries are higher, disposable income is higher, the labor force is well-qualified, and employers require advanced degrees. More than 40% of Massachusetts’ population 25 or older have a bachelor’s degree or higher. It’s the most educated state.

I suggest you to research here on city-data, the FBI crime explorer database, the US Census, the unemployment rate and key industries from the Department of Labor, etc. Don’t move out of Puerto Rico out of desperation without doing your homework, or you will regret it because not every state is the same.

Boston Herald just wrote an article about the 2 states:Taxes driving wealth out of Massachusetts and into Florida, New Hampshire: report

https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/02...pshire-report/

Florida has the #4 best economy of the nation behind California, Texas, New York. Mass is #12. I really doubt that's because of low skills and little education. NASA and a developed sizable Aerospace industry and many high tech companies are in Florida. Florida has 24 military bases with thousands of civilian contracts. Real Estate, Tourism, Boating are a few of the many industries in Florida.

What makes Florida a great state is NO state tax, the weather and space and is a friendly state to open your own business and work for yourself. The winters up north in the East are brutal and if you are from Puerto Rico going up there for the first time, it will be a shock and deal breaker. I seen many people leave after a winter or two and add the high cost of living. They can't stand both.

Degrees are mostly expensive and overrated. Learning a trade works for a lot of people. Puerto Rico is a fine example of the majority having a degree that means nothing in the real world and leaves you a big debt. Most of my friends in Puerto Rico that got a degree are working on a totally different job in the market and their degree is just a frame on the wall or in an album for themselves.

Being smart and being educated are 2 different things. You need to be smart about your priorities and be realistic and have a great work ethic. I know people with degrees that hate their jobs and want to do something completely different. To me is having my own business, doing my own schedule, having control of my life and keeping more of my earned money. You have to decide for yourself your own priorities in life and what's the price you are willing to pay for it.

U.S. News did a ranking on the best states for what's worth from economy, fiscal stability, infrastructure, healthcare, opportunity, education, crime and Utah came #1 , Washington #2 (I love that state) , Idaho #3, Florida #10 and Mass #11. So if you are tired of the East Coast come out West because in my opinion it's better overall.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 05-13-2023 at 11:34 PM..

Old 05-16-2023, 08:16 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Boston Herald just wrote an article about the 2 states:Taxes driving wealth out of Massachusetts and into Florida, New Hampshire: report

https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/02...pshire-report/

Florida has the #4 best economy of the nation behind California, Texas, New York. Mass is #12. I really doubt that's because of low skills and little education. NASA and a developed sizable Aerospace industry and many high tech companies are in Florida. Florida has 24 military bases with thousands of civilian contracts. Real Estate, Tourism, Boating are a few of the many industries in Florida.

What makes Florida a great state is NO state tax, the weather and space and is a friendly state to open your own business and work for yourself. The winters up north in the East are brutal and if you are from Puerto Rico going up there for the first time, it will be a shock and deal breaker. I seen many people leave after a winter or two and add the high cost of living. They can't stand both.

Degrees are mostly expensive and overrated. Learning a trade works for a lot of people. Puerto Rico is a fine example of the majority having a degree that means nothing in the real world and leaves you a big debt. Most of my friends in Puerto Rico that got a degree are working on a totally different job in the market and their degree is just a frame on the wall or in an album for themselves.

Being smart and being educated are 2 different things. You need to be smart about your priorities and be realistic and have a great work ethic. I know people with degrees that hate their jobs and want to do something completely different. To me is having my own business, doing my own schedule, having control of my life and keeping more of my earned money. You have to decide for yourself your own priorities in life and what's the price you are willing to pay for it.

U.S. News did a ranking on the best states for what's worth from economy, fiscal stability, infrastructure, healthcare, opportunity, education, crime and Utah came #1 , Washington #2 (I love that state) , Idaho #3, Florida #10 and Mass #11. So if you are tired of the East Coast come out West because in my opinion it's better overall.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings
16 years ago everything he said was true. the opposite is also true, MA is expensive and not a great place for people without higher degrees and big salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories