Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 03:54 PM

10 posts, read 129,143 times

Advertisements

Boricua629, you're absurd. So your theory is that gold has been found and that the U.S. is digging the gold out or um, yeah, stealing it, but then you say that Puerto Rico and the U.S. have to protect themselves from Venezuela? In other words, you're defending the U.S. even though it can be inferred that you're practically saying that the U.S. is stealing gold from P.R. Lets get this straight, as was said, Venezuela or ANY Latin American country, has no intention of doing any harm to Puerto Rico because they consider Puerto Rico part of Latin America. The Americans are the ones that not only need to watch out for Venezuela, but MANY countries around the world that can't stand the U.S. for good reasoning. Hindsight2020, you're simply one of those vulnerable Puerto Ricans who see injustice, but still try to justify it. You know how many people developed cancer and other sickness due to the military activity going on in Vieques? NO, no military base should exist on the island and they should stop trying to recruit Puerto Ricans to fight in their stupid wars, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 12:05 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Have you guys ever heard of Saravena, Colombia?

Might want to do some research on that.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:51 AM

297 posts, read 505,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaytusic View Post
NO, no military base should exist on the island and they should stop trying to recruit Puerto Ricans to fight in their stupid wars, too.
Do you have any idea how many Puerto Ricans living in NYC were murdered on 9/11? Looking back through history, do you really think any of America's enemies cared about Puerto Ricans? Would the Nazis and the Japanese have treated Puerto Ricans well? What about the Russians? Do you really think that al Qaeda wouldn't behead you if given the opportunity? These are wars against evil that the world should fight, but the vast majority of world chooses not to. Someone has to step up and do the job so that people like you can bash America over the internet while accepting a welfare check from the gov't.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:54 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,664,339 times
I've been called worse by some ex-high school classmates back in the island, but vulnerable Puerto Rican is a first lol. Look, Puerto Rico has always had an identity crisis and the overwhelming reality is that if you follow the chronicles of the colony the world has come to know as Puerto Rico, you'll realize that in the grand scheme of things, PR is falling into irrelevancy by their OWN choice. This is the sad reality of Puerto Rico as a people, and Cubans and many South Americans recognize this.

There is no relevant geo-political value for the island anymore, it is merely an operating cost of the past policies of the United States. To consider the fact that more Puerto Ricans live in the CONUS than in the island is testament to the fact that the US is really at peace with the cost of the welfare territory they have inherited. The people of the island are dispossessed, this is true, but it is in large part due to their own cultural and political ambiguity, pushed forth and maintained by the puerto rican bourgeoisie. That is no different than the Brazilian ruling class in Brazil, to a much smaller scale and without the open caste system (PR's caste system is implied, like 'have a good day' racism is the prevalent form of apartheid in the CONUS South). To pawn PRs ills on the CONUS as a political pawn is a copout. Puerto Rico suffers from high unemployment, low wages, brain drain, high crime, and overpopulation. Industries find it hard to set up shop and their cost are about par with mainland workers but without half the work ethic (never mind the short work year with holidays). Red tape is rampant, nothing gets done with environmental impact studies just to dig a hole in your own backyard, laws are outdated and staunchly kept under Spanish law precedents just to make a political point. It's 19th century Europe. If that burns ya, well so be it, I grew up in the place, I'm intimately familiar with the dynamics.

As I've said before, PR is a great place to visit and have vaca' property, but a horrible place to live and a raise a family. My parents stood me up on their shoulders so that I could literally fly and leave that island of complacency, and I am indebted for life to them for that.

As to the military jab, as a US Servicemember, I still feel proud to defend your freedom to discredit me and/or disagree with my position. Good luck to ya.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:25 AM

10 posts, read 24,021 times
it make me laugh I must say how much my people, talk negative about the island how it just a place to visit and not live or rise a family a good laugh and a foolish statement bye some ricans make! In puertorico you live life twice as better, you have to work hard but never the less a great place I was born in the USA and will at some point move over there again, many foolish comments of ricans that are negative are what puertorico does not need as they spread there lie's the streets my not be filled with gold that for sure but you can no doubt can live a pretty good life and rise you kid’s people like that are useless individual, and always talk negative about the island!! I my feel different then many ricans as I lived on the island and a lot of Puerto Rican born in the USA never have a chance to do this, many because of foolish comments of other rican , or becaues they never had the chance, iI's sad to see some people that do not value it's history, and are somewhat unloyal, to la patria, talking this talking that and no solution, and how many of you even know Spanish teach your kid's about your history our culture and all you teach them is that the flag is nice and you should respect it do you tell them why our who even fought to have that flag ?? what puerto rican need to do is think like puertorican as one body. not Americanized idiots. but as a people, own business gain equity as we did 60 years ago. I have dedicated my life to helping puertorico and with me starts a new era. and people in my comminutiy know this about me, not to brag but show people that puerto rican can take time out from there so called busy lives and put there money where there mouth is!! as I made it my business to let them know That puertorican can still be selfless and be in love with puertorico and love her unconditionally , I one day will do my part .to try to bring solutions, and Iam a puertorican that was born in the USA, and which happen to be were the one's THAT SEEM to CRITIZE THE island the MOST ! Iam not like that I look for solutions, I my be a bit bothered bye the way my people think sometimes as many need more nationalism, many my have there little flags in there cars and stuff like that nationalism is not just that, which every country in the world has, I want rican to want more for themselfs, as long as we have live in newyork we should own have of it have more business etc like back in the 40's 50' and 60's etc. many my have there little flags in there cars and stuff like that nationalism is not just that, now how would puertorico feel a threaten from venezuela when if puertorico was ever attacked there would be no more good music in Latin America or movie stars etc.. so i do not consider venezuela a threat and plus it was a puertorican thaT HELP THEM GAIN INDEPENDENCE FROM SPAIN HIS NAME WAS VELRO BENABE i FORGET HIS LAST NAME. IN CARACAS THERE EVEN A STATUE OF HIM..HE WAS FROM FAJARDO PUERTORICO BORN TO A WEALTH FAMILY AND BECAME A TREMENDOUS GENERAL IN THE SPANISH RANKS, iAM ABOUT SOLUTIONS AND BRING BACK THE OLD WAYS OF GREAT PUERTORICAN THINKERS, MIGENTE WE MUST NOT BE SEPARATED BYE POLITICAL PARTIES BUT COME TOGETHER AS ONE AS A PEOPLE FOR THE BEST INTEREST OF THE ISLAND OUR INTEGRITY AND HONOR, WHICH MONEY CAN NOT BYE AND OUR RIGHTFUL PLACE IN LATIN AMERICA THERE ARE some THAT DO HAVE A IDENTITY PROBLEM IAM sure not one of them that’s for sure it is our job to teach the young of the story of puertorico which is fascinated bye all of Latin America.. peace and love..

Old 06-07-2009, 07:14 PM

3 posts, read 9,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
You don't know what you're talking about!!! Where did you get your information from, The Enquirer???
You know the Enquirer because you have read it yourself, but have not lived it. We see it and live it in Puerto Rico; it is a factual thing; we have too many facts and evidence. Even the Puerto Rican Congress have spoken about how the City of Mayaguez can benefit, if it digs some of the gold to contruct several projects for the 2017's Olympics in the City of Mayaguez. The rest of the story is also base on facts and not just suppositions as the Enquirer which is simply a fictitious money making new paper.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:09 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua629 View Post
You know the Enquirer because you have read it yourself, but have not lived it. We see it and live it in Puerto Rico; it is a factual thing; we have too many facts and evidence. Even the Puerto Rican Congress have spoken about how the City of Mayaguez can benefit, if it digs some of the gold to contruct several projects for the 2017's Olympics in the City of Mayaguez. The rest of the story is also base on facts and not just suppositions as the Enquirer which is simply a fictitious money making new paper.
Please. go smoke another bananna peel!!! It might clear your head a bit!

Old 06-10-2009, 12:46 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
This is not good. We need to increase the defenses of our Caribbean possessions .... the British, French, and Dutch have already done so for their possessions. Puerto Rico's garrison wass reduced a few US Coast Guard cutters and helicopters with welded on machine guns and the Puerto Rico National Guard as well as the Puerto Rico Insular Guard - if the National Guard couldent even handle a hurricane in NOLA they surely can't handle a war.

We need to send an active duty BCT back to Ft. Buchanan and re-activate Ramey AFB (heck they already use it on a "contingency basis" so it wouldent be that hard) and Roosevelt Roads.

If the tiny little Netherlands can send an entire battle group and a naval task force to defend Aruba and the Netherlands Antilles then perhaps it's time we consider the same for PR and the USVI?

Old 06-10-2009, 10:40 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,556 times
RicanRoyalty, your grammar sucks!!! No periods, a lot of sentence overruns, misspellings, etc... Also, try breaking your loooooooooong paragraph into several smaller ones. Reading your post gave me a headache.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
If the tiny little Netherlands can send an entire battle group and a naval task force to defend Aruba and the Netherlands Antilles then perhaps it's time we consider the same for PR and the USVI?
What on earth are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories