Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2007, 09:45 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,958 times

Advertisements

Hi, Have any of you guys been to the U.S. Virgin Islands? Do any of you live or lived in the U.S. Virgin Islands? If so, How is the weather there? What are the best areas to visit or live? Is one Island better then the other to live? Thank you in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 09:02 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
I've actually never been there but I remembered this thread that had some information about the Islands from awhile back:

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...-islands.html?

Old 02-28-2007, 02:39 PM

872 posts, read 3,584,263 times
All I know is it is the only US territory that drives on the left side of the road.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:20 PM

49 posts, read 306,976 times
I've been there and driven around a lot of St. Thomas.

1.) St. Thomas is the most accesiibly. While driving there were some cute areas in the "hills." However, it does have a lot of not-so-good areas that are pretty industrial and not very good. Though the "downtown" Charlotte Amelie has a lot of cruise-ships some very inner-city parts can be somewhat shady but overral not. A lot of Puerto Ricans move to the islands[dunno if that would be a problem for you] Just don't run around 3 in the morning

2.) St. John - mostly nature. Not much to do. A little port town. Quaint I guess... have to take a ferry to St. Thomas for airport and most necestties.

3.) St. Criox -haven't been so can't really say. Heard its somewhat nice..

Overall, I couldn't recommend it. It's something you have to see for yourself. If I had to pick I'd say find a nice part of St. Thomas would be the best.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:16 PM

286 posts, read 1,081,939 times
Default Virgin Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Hi, Have any of you guys been to the U.S. Virgin Islands? Do any of you live or lived in the U.S. Virgin Islands? If so, How is the weather there? What are the best areas to visit or live? Is one Island better then the other to live? Thank you in advance!
Lived in the VI for 11 years, pm me if you need info because I dont check this thread very often, also see my previous posts

Old 03-26-2007, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 44,378 times
Default Check it out for yourself....

Hiya. I grew up in the VI (St. Thomas) and still visit frequently. I definitely suggest you visit the islands first-hand and spend some time there - not hanging at the hotel or on touristy tours, but rent a car and do some exploring. The experience of a tourist there is VERY different from that of the locals. St. Thomas, St. John, and St. Croix are all very beautiful, and any one of them could be great depending on your interests. Spend some time researching employment opportunities before you get there- it's easy to get in over your head as far as money is concerned! The weather is lovely all year round, and even the hottest summer days are offset by the constant breeze of the tradewinds- it's always beach weather!

Old 04-01-2007, 02:17 AM

14 posts, read 78,039 times
Default Moving to Virgin Islands

I would definately not reccomend it, it is a dangerous crime ridden third world country, regardless of being a US territory. The Islanders are generally very resentful of Americans & I do not know hardly anyone there who has not been robbed, home invasions are common. Most Americans live togeather in clustered compounds because that is the only way they dare stay there.
There is shopping in St. Thomas, but is overpriced & touristy, you might as well just go to Acapulco. St. John is the prettiest, lush & green but not much there really. St. Croix is the largest & also the most dangerous, the east end is flat & dry, TX is much prettier, the west end has a rain forest but it is not a good idea to wander around there as the Rastafarians (I guess) get upset wondering what you are looking for. Get used to shopping at K-Mart as not much else. Even cruise ships have dropped the route due to crime.
The water is certainly blue, & there is some pretty old architecture, mainly Danish, & old sugar mills. Interesting for a day or so. It will cost about a million for any decent house, but you will probably get stuck with it, as many people who can afford them are pulling out. Fishing if you like that of course.
The only good things there are Conch (like Abalone) & great hot sauce, but you can get the former in Key West & import the latter. The weather is unbearably hot & bright, even by most TX standards. The moisture ruins anything nice so you cannot have things like framed prints there. I could go on but if you are really thinking of it you can email me, other drawbacks as well - no medical care - you must be airlifted to decent medical care. In case of hurricanes, riots, ect. it is hard to get off the island, also the local flight services are generally not to safe. It just sucks!!!!!

Old 05-10-2007, 11:16 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSage View Post
I would definately not reccomend it, it is a dangerous crime ridden third world country, regardless of being a US territory. The Islanders are generally very resentful of Americans & I do not know hardly anyone there who has not been robbed, home invasions are common. Most Americans live togeather in clustered compounds because that is the only way they dare stay there.
There is shopping in St. Thomas, but is overpriced & touristy, you might as well just go to Acapulco. St. John is the prettiest, lush & green but not much there really. St. Croix is the largest & also the most dangerous, the east end is flat & dry, TX is much prettier, the west end has a rain forest but it is not a good idea to wander around there as the Rastafarians (I guess) get upset wondering what you are looking for. Get used to shopping at K-Mart as not much else. Even cruise ships have dropped the route due to crime.
The water is certainly blue, & there is some pretty old architecture, mainly Danish, & old sugar mills. Interesting for a day or so. It will cost about a million for any decent house, but you will probably get stuck with it, as many people who can afford them are pulling out. Fishing if you like that of course.
The only good things there are Conch (like Abalone) & great hot sauce, but you can get the former in Key West & import the latter. The weather is unbearably hot & bright, even by most TX standards. The moisture ruins anything nice so you cannot have things like framed prints there. I could go on but if you are really thinking of it you can email me, other drawbacks as well - no medical care - you must be airlifted to decent medical care. In case of hurricanes, riots, ect. it is hard to get off the island, also the local flight services are generally not to safe. It just sucks!!!!!
I agree. The US Virgin Islands have HUGE drug problems. About as bad as Puerto Rico and Jamaica.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:58 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
My dream is to live in the Carribean someday, although I would probably maintain a home here in Florida as well...I just love the beach and the sand and the completely different way of life.

I have been to St. Maarten and the dutch side was pretty grotty but I didn't see all of it. There are so many islands to choose from.
St. Thomas was nice but I would have to explore a little more.

There is a show on HGTV, its called House Hunters International, they have alot of interesting informatin and follow a couple or family through looking for a house and what they eventually purchase, they do it all over the world but several have been in the Carribean.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:30 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
if you want safety and the tropical environment, you'll probably have to settle for the Florida keys... I've been to Haiti, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas etc. the VI is nice if you go there on a cruise or take a vacation there with enough cash to kind of stay in the insulated areas (just like lots of other places I guess)

I've found that it takes a long time to be accepted in places like that unless you happen to be able to blend in quickly. My co-worker growing up spent about five years bumming down in St. Thomas. He just did odd jobs (like painting boats) and shared a shack. Once he got tired of the hippie lifestyle down there, he moved back stateside. He fit in ok, but he's the expat type (you know the type, rough customers, can survive anywhere on next to nothing)

If you plan to move to a place like that, save your money for an extended stay and make the decision afterwards. I've seen lots of expats in SE Asia (for example) who thought they were moving to paradise and ended up getting screwed royally. I have to believe the same can happen in the VI unless you are seriously loaded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories