Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 12:37 AM

1 posts, read 7,246 times

Advertisements

Hi all
Need some help from you.
I live in Los Angeles, California
I got laid off on Sept. 2008 (under H1-B work visa)
I become resident on July, 2009 (get married with american)
I still unemployed as of April 2011.
My question is if I qualify any of the unemployment benefit in the past , if so, during which period of time and wonder can I back claim the unemployment benefit.
(I just recently got told that i should check out if I qualify for the unemployment, though it may be bit late.)
I just want to get more info. and know where to start. thank
bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 10:23 PM

162 posts, read 886,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bng23 View Post
Hi all
Need some help from you.
My question is if I qualify any of the unemployment benefit in the past , if so, during which period of time and wonder can I back claim the unemployment benefit.
(I just recently got told that i should check out if I qualify for the unemployment, though it may be bit late.)
bill
i don't know much about unemployment but you can always claim and see if they deny it....what do you have to lose?

Old 04-15-2011, 11:30 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,978,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bng23 View Post
Hi all
Need some help from you.
bill
According to the California UI website, "benefits are calculated using an individual’s earnings during a specific 12-month period (this is called a 'base period'). The base period begins approximately 15-17 months prior to the date the claim is filed. The amount paid each week is calculated based on the calendar quarter with the highest earnings during the base period."
FAQ - Eligibility

If you file a claim this month -- April 2011 -- your base year could extend as far back as November 2009.

Since you have no eligible earnings during that base year period (November 2009 - April 2011), it is unlikely that you would be eligible for unemployment benefits at this time.

In the event that you were eligible, you would not be able to "back claim" any benefits. Your benefits would start one week after you actually file.

Of course, there is no penalty for filing, so you can still file and get an official determination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment