Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 07:06 PM

20 posts, read 43,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
You would have to speak to NJ and/or NY to confirm that you fall under NYS guidelines for EB.
Oh I do, cause NYS put a stop on my NJ unemployment a couple of weeks ago. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm gonna get to get it again and if this bill passes if will have anything to do with it. Thanks.

I can't imagine NYS not paying EB when its funded again 100%. I think that would help the economy here in NY with people out spending again.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:06 PM

61 posts, read 120,522 times
I have already confirm this...bri79 you would fall under new york guidelines, meaning you have to wait for NY to trigger or extend the EB beyond June 26, 2010.
I'm in the same boat you are. Live in NY but collecting tru CT. I also have the same questions you do.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:08 PM

20 posts, read 43,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raul677 View Post
I have already confirm this...bri79 you would fall under new york guidelines, meaning you have to wait for NY to trigger or extend the EB beyond June 26, 2010.
They would have to trigger, cause there IUR is above 8%, right? By law? I know the unemployment rate is high EB here. Thanks.

And where did u confirm this? Just curious.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:14 PM

I spent the entire day calling both offices of unemployment from CT and NY. As I said before in my previous post , all other unemployment websites from other states are making look like they are all waiting for congress to extend EB benefits. However, like OPyelie likes to keep posting, I have no way of confirming if NY will reinstated the EB if the extension passes. Having said that, I can't imagine them not doing so, I got a friend at the NY department of Labor trying to get some info for me. I will keep you updated.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:21 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,988,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessit771 View Post
So, if HR5618 is passed, everyone were receiving $25 before 5/23, will continue receiving it?
No new legislation needs to be passed for those who have already qualified for the $25 weekly FAC payment to continue to collect it.

The prior legislation set the deadline for the FAC payments through April 2011 -- and that deadline is still in effect.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:31 PM

17 posts, read 32,215 times
i want some clarification about this situation in new york as well, as is ive exhausted all my weeks and im currently not eligible for eb( filed dec. 08 ) but i was under the assumption the bill would extend eb for me once the bill passed since i can still make weekly claims

any info would be helpful

Old 07-12-2010, 07:37 PM

Default Confusion About "Cloture"

For the record, I do not respond to posts making personal attacks on me nor do I respond to threatening DMs. I report them to the administrators here.

Having said that, there seems to be some confusion about the concept of "cloture." As I have previously explained in other threads, not all bills that pass through the Senate are subject to cloture motions.

The principles in the Senate are basically that:
(1) A bill is generally received from the House.
(2) It is then vetted by the appropriate Senate committee.
(3) Once the Senate committee agrees that the bill is properly drafted and should be considered by the Senate, it is introduced on the floor.
(4) The Senate debates the bill -- and perhaps offers amendments.
(5) The bill is voted on -- only a simple majority is needed to pass.

Cloture is only used when the Senate gets stuck on step #4.

More specifically, any amendments that are raised must be passed, defeated, or withdrawn before the vote on the bill is taken. When those amendments are dealt with and a vote on the bill itself is taken, only a simple majority is required to pass the bill.

The exception occurs when one side continues to raise amendments or continues debate excessively. When that occurs, a cloture motion is required to limit further amendments and further debate. But cloture is generally only invoked when one side believes they have at least 60 votes to pass the bill.

It requires 60 votes to invoke cloture -- and cloture allows only up to 30 or so additional hours of debate on the bill. If agreement on the bill is not reached before the cloture deadline, then a final vote is forced -- and a final vote forced by cloture must have at least 60 votes to pass.

Cloture has been invoked numerous times on HR 4213 because the Republicans have filibustered this bill (proposing hundreds of amendments and continuing debate) -- and cloture was the only way to close down those stalling tactics and try to get a vote.

HR 5618 has just entered the Senate. There has been no debate, no amendments -- no stalling tactics. Therefore, there has been no reason to invoke cloture. If cloture is not invoked, only a simple majority is needed for the Senate to pass HR 5618.

All of this info is "Civics 101" -- basically procedures for how a bill is passed -- and is available on numerous sites.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:51 PM

diorgirl do you know anything about NY and the EB extensions? The cut off date was June 6, 2010
Is the current bill adressing this? or is OPyelie correct? He keeps saying NY will not offer it.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul677 View Post
diorgirl do you know anything about NY and the EB extensions? The cut off date was June 6, 2010
Is the current bill adressing this? or is OPyelie correct? He keeps saying NY will not offer it.
Both bills currently under consideration would extend 100% federal funding for EB through November 2010 -- retroactive to the June cut-off date.

However, it is up to the individual states to set the effective dates, the phase-out dates, and the final cut-off dates for EB in their own states-- within the deadlines specified in the federal legislation.

Of the many states that provide EB only when it is 100% funded by the federal government, I am unaware of any state that has announced how they would reactivate EB if/when 100% federal funding is reinstated. So at this time -- even if the extension passes -- how a particular state will administer the extension is still unknown.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:07 PM

377 posts, read 589,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
HR 5618 has just entered the Senate. There has been no debate, no amendments -- no stalling tactics. Therefore, there has been no reason to invoke cloture. If cloture is not invoked, only a simple majority is needed for the Senate to pass HR 5618.
I just don't see how this is any different than the last go around. It's not funded, so I don't see why republicans wouldn't do exactly as they did last time. If they are so against deficit spending I don't see how 5618 is relevant. In addition, Reid wants 4213, right? So he might invoke cloture on this new one just to sabotage it and wait for the WV senator to come in next week (hopefully). If he already thinks he'll get 4213, why even deal with 5618 at all?

Just seems to me if it were a slam dunk they would have voted on it today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment