Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,407 times

Advertisements

Word is coming out that a bill has been drawn up for more weeks to be added to the EUC HR 6556. This is unconfirmed but the bill might include:

••• This section provides 14 additional weeks of emergency unemployment compensation in Tier I.
••• This additional benefit will be available for those who have exhausted all their benefits (99ers and other exhaustees) as well as those who will be unemployed this year.
••• This expansion is similar to the expansion in Nov. 2009 which provided an additional week of benefits to Tier II.
••• Adding these extra weeks in Tier I makes them available for all chronically unemployed and not only those currently collecting unemployment benefits from a "high unemployment state."

H.R. 6556 offered by Reps. Lee and Scott could help millions of 99ers - Rochester Unemployment | Examiner.com

H.R. 6556: To provide for the further temporary extension of the emergency unemployment compensation... (GovTrack.us)

Write your congressmen in favor of this bill. This is still hope for us that was not included in the recent tax bill that just passed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 10:46 PM

126 posts, read 467,563 times
I am praying that a bill like this does come to pass. It is dearly needed.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:46 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,633,912 times
This would sure be a welcome Godsend.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:33 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostryder72 View Post
Word is coming out that a bill has been drawn up for more weeks to be added to the EUC HR 6556. This is unconfirmed but the bill might include:

••• This section provides 14 additional weeks of emergency unemployment compensation in Tier I.
••• This additional benefit will be available for those who have exhausted all their benefits (99ers and other exhaustees) as well as those who will be unemployed this year.
••• This expansion is similar to the expansion in Nov. 2009 which provided an additional week of benefits to Tier II.
••• Adding these extra weeks in Tier I makes them available for all chronically unemployed and not only those currently collecting unemployment benefits from a "high unemployment state."

H.R. 6556 offered by Reps. Lee and Scott could help millions of 99ers - Rochester Unemployment | Examiner.com

H.R. 6556: To provide for the further temporary extension of the emergency unemployment compensation... (GovTrack.us)

Write your congressmen in favor of this bill. This is still hope for us that was not included in the recent tax bill that just passed!
I quoted you to enable your links.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:35 AM

5,346 posts, read 4,045,487 times
One would only hope that there is enough time for this to move forward before the new House takes over in January...

Old 12-20-2010, 07:51 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
I can only hope but based on the other 99er legislation that died I have serious doubts that this will go anywhere

Old 12-20-2010, 10:39 AM

621 posts, read 2,325,890 times
i dont think this will go anywhere until after the new congress is sworn in. I do think that somewhere down the line this topic will have to be considered.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,948 times
Can somebody let me know how this works? I just became a 99er today. Does that mean this bill will qualify me for a lump sum from the additional weeks of tier 1? Or will I still receive checks every 2 weeks like normal?

Old 12-20-2010, 01:19 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
This is absolutely wonderful news for the 99ers and I hope it goes all the way and passes !!!!!

Old 12-20-2010, 02:26 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotclockat5 View Post
Can somebody let me know how this works? I just became a 99er today. Does that mean this bill will qualify me for a lump sum from the additional weeks of tier 1? Or will I still receive checks every 2 weeks like normal?
If this bill -- HR 6556 is passed, you would be eligible to begin collecting another 14 weeks in two-week increments as in the past.

99ers would begin collecting the additional 14 weeks from the date that the legislation is effective. No retroactive payments would be made for those weeks since you exhausted your benefits.

In order to be paid retroactively you would have had to certify that you were unemployed during the period you were ineligible for benefits. At this time, no state accepts regular certification from anyone who has exhausted the maximum benefits to which they were entitled. So you would resume receiving payments when you resume certifying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment