Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2011, 10:36 AM

5 posts, read 55,973 times

Advertisements

I just started my Second Benefit Year in CT and they started a New Claim for me because I earned $2500 from my previous FT employer during the first benefit year (BYE 12/28/2010). Now, my previous employer is disputing the unemployment office's determination that I was a part-time employee and says that I was an independent contractor. (I'm being pressured by both sides and it's got me very confused because it seems to me that the work I did could be interpreted either way!) I would like to know if I will get benefits either way? (I don't think CT unemployment was being straight with me when they told me that I won't get ANY benefits if I didn't not earn WAGES in 2010. But that is what the CT unemployment guidebook says also!)

If anyone can shed any light on this, I'd be so grateful. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 11:12 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybeary View Post
I just started my Second Benefit Year in CT and they started a New Claim for me because I earned $2500 from my previous FT employer during the first benefit year (BYE 12/28/2010). Now, my previous employer is disputing the unemployment office's determination that I was a part-time employee and says that I was an independent contractor. (I'm being pressured by both sides and it's got me very confused because it seems to me that the work I did could be interpreted either way!) I would like to know if I will get benefits either way? (I don't think CT unemployment was being straight with me when they told me that I won't get ANY benefits if I didn't not earn WAGES in 2010. But that is what the CT unemployment guidebook says also!)

If anyone can shed any light on this, I'd be so grateful. Thank you!
If your previous employer paid you on a 1099 basis, you should be considered an independent contractor -- not a part-time employee. When you are paid on a 1099 basis, the employer does not make any contribution to unemployment for you so you accrue no new credits towards UI benefits. In this case, you would continue collecting on your prior UI claim.

If you were paid on on a W-2 basis, you would be considered a part-time employee -- and your additional earnings would be credited to your account and used to calculate your eligibility for a new claim.

However, I think your situation may be complicated by the fact that you were an employee of this company previously -- and CT UI may have taken the position that you should have been paid via W-2.

The only thing you can do is wait for CT UI and your former employer to come to a final determination. Then, if you disagree, you can appeal the ruling.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:27 PM

5 posts, read 55,973 times
Thanks, diorgirl. This is the complicated situation that you alluded to. UI has concluded that I was a p-t employee, although I will be given a 1099.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:35 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybeary View Post
Thanks, diorgirl. This is the complicated situation that you alluded to. UI has concluded that I was a p-t employee, although I will be given a 1099.
It's unfortunate that you are caught in a dispute between the state and your former employer. Just keep in mind that you can always appeal any ruling by the CT UI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment