Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:23 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,310 times

Advertisements

Oh, it's totally a poor excuse (even moreso than refusing to hiring someone with "no experience"...gee, how do you think someone gets experience if nobody will hire them? ) but as we all know, they use any excuse they can get.

I have no idea if it's legal or not and by this point I don't really care (and how are they going to enforce this, anyway? With quotas saying you have to hire N# of currently unemployed people?), but I wish companies that do this would just come right out & say it so we don't waste hours tailoring resumes and cover letters that are automically going to be trashed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 05:33 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
No surprise, this has been going on since the crash and there's no end in sight.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:18 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Default Exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
Like I said it depends on the skills required. In highly technical jobs new software and hardware is developed all the time. Even office workers not
working 2-3 years means lack of skill at new versions of common products like Office. Maybe they last used 2003 and now everyone is using 2010.
Employers are adding more advances skills to entry level positions. It really is
a lose lose situation for those who have been out of work for a few years.
It's really quite sad.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:52 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I had skills way beyond what was necessary for my last job and became very disinterested because it was not at all challenging. Previous job, same employer, utilized everything I knew, which was much appreciated by people I worked for but not by HR who had no clue about anything. I don't think my skills have at all deteriorated in the past 15 months. I really question this thinking. Specifically what skills do they think people have lost in the past two years? Borderline people possibly yes, but not the really good ones.
I totally agree. I think that this 'skills deteriorating' is just a lame excuse. Just because someone is out of work for a while, doesn't mean that they suddenly lose their skills. People that make money off of 'retraining' programs, LOVE to pitch this argument.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:57 AM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,354 times
This is the American way! Perfection, the Team Player, Run, Run, never sick, no one in your family gets sick, dies, is in trouble, your family is perfect (or so you pretend), you never lose your job, if where did this legendary recession come from? you find a new job in exactly one month, if you are unemployed for more than one to three months, god forbid, one year, your are automatically, without a doubt labeled a slob, lazy, stupid, incompetent, unmotivated, unemployable, unskilled, and no one will hire you, thus you remain unemployed longer and longer. These wonderful American companies claim that the longer you are unemployed the more unemployable you become and the rustier your skills become. Their logic is suspect. These superior HR beings assume that you, the unemployed person(s) are not actively updating and learning new skills or taking classes, or free classes at a job center, searching for positions, networking, doing researching in a library, and utilizing other avenues to better yourself and maintain your employability, none of this is considered in your quest for employment. The prospective employer's attitude is already negative. The Motto is you are The "LAZY, the LOSER, the UNMOTIVATED, the UNAMERICAN, the UNEMPLOYED!" Why should we hire you? It is a vicious cycle. This seems very un American to me.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:11 PM

126 posts, read 724,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workinman1 View Post
Long-term unemployed face stigmas in job search - USATODAY.com

- Many companies are shying away from hiring people who are unemployed.
- PMG Indiana, Sony Ericsson and retailers nationwide have explicitly barred employing unemployed people.
Besides the few postings I see which state, "only submit
if you are currently employed", I got this email response
from a recruiter representing an O&G firm:

Quote:
Thank you for your response. My client is looking for
someone that has held a recent Business Analyst position.

I will keep you in mind for future opportunities.

Best Regards,
First time I've been *explicitly* told this.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:00 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,182 times
It is true. Many employers believe unemployed folks are lazy and unemployable. What you should do is try your hardest to get any job, even if it is a low-paying service job, and continue looking for a skilled living wage job while you are working. However, looking for a job is a full-time job in itself. You also have to take the time to practice your skills so you will still be able to show potential employers what you can do. Atrophied skills are not marketable in the ultra-competitive American job market where there is simply not enough jobs for every one.

I also believe unemployment has a huge effect on how an individual presents him or herself. People who are unemployed are likely to be depressed or not as confident as when they are employed. In addition, people who are unemployed may not be able to buy new dressed up clothes for job interviews and fresh haircuts and such. Anyone who is getting paid on a regular basis exudes a certain level of confidence and competence. This level of confidence filters down into every aspect of a person's life. I remember being unemployed and not getting a single female's phone number for months and months. Once I started working at a full-time job and getting paid every week, I had dozens of women's numbers almost immediately and many of these females were interested in spending time with me. It was all because of the confidence that a steady paycheck gave me.

Whether interviewers and employers are willing to admit it or not, they judge potential employees on a very superficial level. Interviewers for skilled professions often try to stare down their potential employees. Bad body language and lack of confidence expressed non-verbally due to unemployment blues/stress often leads to not getting said job.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:36 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,922,886 times
i think some of you also need to learn how to fudge the resume a bit.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:35 PM

208 posts, read 552,252 times
"I will keep you in mind for future opportunities"
LOL...One of the great brush off lines being used today

Old 01-30-2011, 08:39 PM

208 posts, read 552,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
i think some of you also need to learn how to fudge the resume a bit.

I've fudged mine so much, every time I sniff the paper I get a sugar rush
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment