Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 4,840 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I just found this forum and am glad to maybe get an answer to my question. I live in the metro Atlanta area, and was laid off in March of 2008. I did qualify for maximum benefits. After searching and searching and going through tier after tier I was lucky enough to land a job this past summer 2009. After 4 months, I was laid off again. I was put back onto my orginal claim like it never happened and now I am in searching frantically again and now in tier 4. My tier 4 expires in 6 weeks which will also be exactly 2 years... does this new law doing anything to help me? Is there now anything beyond tier 4?

Thank you for any help you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 12:43 PM

126 posts, read 467,654 times
Well, yeah. EB. If you're state qualifies you can claim up to 20 weeks.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:46 PM

You mean State EB? or there is there a Federal provision in the new law? I know before the law there was currently no State extended benefits.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:12 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
You mean State EB? or there is there a Federal provision in the new law? I know before the law there was currently no State extended benefits.
According to your website and the BLS Trigger Report, Georgia is paying EB:

Quote:
State Extended Benefits are available for individuals who have exhausted all regular Unemployment Insurance (UI) and all Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC), First, Second, Third and Fourth Tier on or after February 15, 2009. Potentially eligible individuals will be notified by mail of these benefits. The notification will detail the application process.

State Extended Benefits (SEB): SEB provides up to 20 weeks of additional benefits to individuals who have exhausted all regular unemployment insurance (UI) and 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Tiers of EUC on or after February 15, 2009. Individuals who exhaust 4th Tier EUC benefits must apply by completing an online SEB application. Individuals must be eligible to establish an SEB claim on or before December 31, 2011, and meet all other eligibility requirements, to receive benefits under the SEB program.

Eligibility will be determined upon completion of the SEB application. Your application can only be filed by Internet. It is not necessary to call or report to your career center to apply, unless asked to do so by your career center staff.

State Extended Benefits (SEB) - Claim Information | Spotlight | Georgia Department of Labor (http://www.dol.state.ga.us/spotlight/sp_seb_claim_info.htm - broken link)
Trigger Notice Report

Extended Benefits Program | Spotlight | Georgia Department of Labor (http://www.dol.state.ga.us/spotlight/sp_ext_benefits_programs_available.htm - broken link)

Old 02-02-2011, 01:34 PM

Thanks.. ok well makes me feel a touch better. Am I correct in assuming then the new law in itself does not add a tier or any more time on my claim though? So when they said 13 more months of benefits for the long term unemployed that's not exactly true.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:45 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
Thanks.. ok well makes me feel a touch better. Am I correct in assuming then the new law in itself does not add a tier or any more time on my claim though? So when they said 13 more months of benefits for the long term unemployed that's not exactly true.
Yes.

The legislation extended ELIGIBILITY for benefits by 13 months. It did not add any further tiers or weeks to any of the tiers.

However, there is a move afoot by some in Washington to add another 14 weeks. This further benefit needs to be funded - they think they have a source. However, don't count on it passing - even if funded - until it actually happens. Tea Partiers want to close down the government. I don't think Boehner has yet corralled enough of them to go along with anything - even if paid for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment