Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 05:07 PM

5 posts, read 9,121 times

Advertisements

I was a victim of the part time penalty, 2-weeks into EUC Tier 2 my BYE ended,my benefits were slashed for working a part time job while supplementing benefits.
Rather then continue on EUC, I was forced to take a new claim at the lower rate.
When the law changed in July it really did fix this problem for many. Others like myself remained at the lower rate on a new claim for 26 weeks.

The 26 week claim has now expired and because of having an existing EUC claim still open from my original claim (2-weeks into EUC Tier 2) my original Rate has now been re-established. This is an odd circumstance but make sure your state is aware.

In an odd twist my BYE has ended again and even though I still had two weeks left on my tier 2 EUC CLAIM
THE STATE FORCED ME TO OPEN A NEW CLAIM. (1st bye ended 5/10)
Now that my 2nd BYE has ended 5/11, and because of my part time employment,the computer system tells me my new rate of;
$118 PER WEEK based on my part time 2010 earnings.

this is my reply from UI,it looks like I'm done!

The benefit year ending date on the claim you were being paid EUC benefits was 17-10 (May 1, 2010), so this claim does not qualify for the "fix". It is true that the benefit year ending date on your second claim is after July 22, 2010 (April 30, 2011), however you were not receiving EUC on your second claim, so there is nothing to "fix" and you do not qualify for EUC on this claim because you still have an EUC balance on your earlier claim.

UI Technician

the part time penalty was eliminated yet it continues to hurt claiments.

1st BYE 5/09 480.
2nd BYE 5/10 246.
3rd BYE 5/11 118.

PUNISHED FOR WORKING PART TIME!

Last edited by evw359; 05-20-2011 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 05:35 PM

25,606 posts, read 56,697,676 times
Your UI technician has explained the situation clearly and correctly.

Your is a common experience with first claims expiring prior to July 24, 2010 on which you have collected EUC. It is considered the 'parent claim' and thus any new claims opened after that one do not qualify for the HR4213 deferral.

When you have exhausted state benefits from this third claim, your state will place you back on your unexhausted first claim tier benefits. If you are claiming benefits on one of those tiers on December 31, 2011, you will be allowed to exhaust those benefits but not transition to the next tier without further extension by Congress.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Your UI technician has explained the situation clearly and correctly.

Your is a common experience with first claims expiring prior to July 24, 2010 on which you have collected EUC. It is considered the 'parent claim' and thus any new claims opened after that one do not qualify for the HR4213 deferral.

When you have exhausted state benefits from this third claim, your state will place you back on your unexhausted first claim tier benefits. If you are claiming benefits on one of those tiers on December 31, 2011, you will be allowed to exhaust those benefits but not transition to the next tier without further extension by Congress.
My point is that the elimination of the part time penalty is very much still alive the so called fix needs to be FIXED!

Old 05-20-2011, 06:49 PM

25,606 posts, read 56,697,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evw359 View Post
My point is that the elimination of the part time penalty is very much still alive the so called fix needs to be FIXED!
Oh, yes, we know. The legislation itself doesn't define benefit year. But a group working for BLS did and sent down those guidelines to the states a while back.

Now, the individual states could choose to use a different interpretation. You could appeal, write your state legislators, and see if you have any success getting them to change your state's implementation of HR4213.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:54 PM

330 posts, read 1,458,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evw359 View Post
I was a victim of the part time penalty, 2-weeks into EUC Tier 2 my BYE ended,my benefits were slashed for working a part time job while supplementing benefits.
Rather then continue on EUC, I was forced to take a new claim at the lower rate.
When the law changed in July it really did fix this problem for many. Others like myself remained at the lower rate on a new claim for 26 weeks.

The 26 week claim has now expired and because of having an existing EUC claim still open from my original claim (2-weeks into EUC Tier 2) my original Rate has now been re-established. This is an odd circumstance but make sure your state is aware.

In an odd twist my BYE has ended again and even though I still had two weeks left on my tier 2 EUC CLAIM
THE STATE FORCED ME TO OPEN A NEW CLAIM. (1st bye ended 5/10)
Now that my 2nd BYE has ended 5/11, and because of my part time employment,the computer system tells me my new rate of;
$118 PER WEEK based on my part time 2010 earnings.

this is my reply from UI,it looks like I'm done!

The benefit year ending date on the claim you were being paid EUC benefits was 17-10 (May 1, 2010), so this claim does not qualify for the "fix". It is true that the benefit year ending date on your second claim is after July 22, 2010 (April 30, 2011), however you were not receiving EUC on your second claim, so there is nothing to "fix" and you do not qualify for EUC on this claim because you still have an EUC balance on your earlier claim.

UI Technician

the part time penalty was eliminated yet it continues to hurt claiments.

1st BYE 5/09 480.
2nd BYE 5/10 246.
3rd BYE 5/11 118.

PUNISHED FOR WORKING PART TIME!
It kind of silly. Why not allow you to complete your tiers, once you finish your tiers, then put you on the new state claim. However, the government does in reverse. They interrupt your tier benefits and then put you on new a state claim, and after you exhaust benefits from the new state claim, they put you back on tier benefits.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Oh, yes, we know. The legislation itself doesn't define benefit year. But a group working for BLS did and sent down those guidelines to the states a while back.

Now, the individual states could choose to use a different interpretation. You could appeal, write your state legislators, and see if you have any success getting them to change your state's implementation of HR4213.
I found the BLS directive w/ the 1-4 options still no date defined on that as well. here is the link. It's on the 2nd page.

http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2011/01/art2full.pdf

Old 06-27-2011, 06:26 PM

well I'm screwed just as I thought, the part time fix hasn't really been eliminated and it is and will punish people who work. The system sucks the law has been misinterpeted and that is all.

COLLECTING !!! DON'T WORK AT ALL YOU WILL BE FINACIALLY SCREWED FOR 100$ PER WEEK IN THE LONG RUN.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:35 PM

189 posts, read 648,366 times
Im really starting to think they do not want us to be employed but rather rely on government for income, why punish someone for trying to get a job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment