Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2011, 11:54 AM

86 posts, read 354,858 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I plan on moving down to Florida from NJ. I am currently collecting NJ State UNemployment Benefits. My question is will my weekly benefit amount remain the same even though I am moving to FL? Please note:

1. I have ONLY worked in New Jersey for the last 10 years straight.
2. I am currently receiving the maximum given by NJ ($598.00 per week)
3. I would like to know if the $598.00 will remain the same throughout my entire unemployment claim including Extended Benefits (EB)?
4. I have tried looking on both the NJ and FL Unemployment website.,but there is NO information surrounding this specific question.

**I do plan on looking for full-time work once down there, but for planning/financial purposes I would like to know this answer.

Many thanks for any and all help.

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 02:25 PM

100 posts, read 339,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennieb25 View Post
Hi:

I plan on moving down to Florida from NJ. I am currently collecting NJ State UNemployment Benefits. My question is will my weekly benefit amount remain the same even though I am moving to FL? Please note:

1. I have ONLY worked in New Jersey for the last 10 years straight.
2. I am currently receiving the maximum given by NJ ($598.00 per week)
3. I would like to know if the $598.00 will remain the same throughout my entire unemployment claim including Extended Benefits (EB)?
4. I have tried looking on both the NJ and FL Unemployment website.,but there is NO information surrounding this specific question.

**I do plan on looking for full-time work once down there, but for planning/financial purposes I would like to know this answer.

Many thanks for any and all help.

Jennifer
1. You do realize that you won't receive ANY EUC extensions after December 31st, right? However, you will be allowed to complete any tier you happen to be on though.

2. Since EB is based on the unemployment % in NJ and you will be a resident of FL, its possible you won't get that either. It depends on the status of EB in Florida.

"Interstate claimants who are not commuters and reside in a state or territory which is not in a federally approved EB period, are only entitled to receive the first two weeks of EB benefits."

Read the entire text here: Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Extended Benefits (EB)

Old 06-26-2011, 03:19 PM

86 posts, read 354,858 times
motherleeds2011:

Florida offers EB up to 79 weeks...just like NJ...so does that mean I am entitled to Extended Benefits (EB)?

Old 06-26-2011, 03:24 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
There will be no change in the amount you receive if you move to Florida. You will continue to claim through New Jersey and receive Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) tier benefits based on your New Jersey claim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennieb25 View Post
Florida offers EB up to 79 weeks...just like NJ...so does that mean I am entitled to Extended Benefits (EB)?
EB is NOT 79 weeks. State benefits of 26 weeks, plus 53 weeks of EUC tier benefits total 79 weeks. EB is another program for an additional 20 weeks, for a total of 99 weeks.

You don't say how long you have been collecting benefits. Many people confuse the EUC tier extensions with Extended Benefits. In order to receive Extended Benefits after your EUC tier benefits are exhausted, both resident state (Florida) and claiming state (New Jersey) must be paying Extended Benefits. As MotherLeeds said above, the legislation for both EUC and EB expires December 31, 2011. At present, Florida and New Jersey are BOTH paying EB.

http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/...ig_062611.html

The current unemployment rate is over 9% in New Jersey and almost 12% in Florida, well over the minimum for EB. Assuming both states comply when you are eligible for EB and assuming the legislation is still in place, you will continue to receive NJ benefits. If, for some reason, either state no longer pays EB or the legislation has expired, you would receive only one-two weeks of EB past either the trigger or legislation expiration dates.

ETA: Further, any EUC tier on which you have been collecting on December 31, 2011 can be exhausted into 2012. This is NOT true for EB. EB requires Congressional action for payment into 2012. In most states payments for EB in 2012 end not later than the first or second week in January. MA will pay EB until Jan. 28, 2012.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-26-2011 at 03:40 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 07:51 AM

102 posts, read 324,708 times
If it helps, I'm also from New Jersey and am still able to continue to receive my unemployment benefits from NJ in FL. I moved here last month. Have been claiming for about 2 months now one of which when I was in NJ and the latter being here in FL. Once you have a permanent residential address or a PO Box in FL, you will need to call them and let them know of your new mailing address asap.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,207 times
I’m planning on moving down to Florida from nj and am currently collecting my unemployment end June that would be 6 months can i get it extended and go to school threw unemployment when i move to Florida before it ends

Old 04-02-2018, 09:28 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times
You can collect through the end of your 6 months in FL. Whether you get ABT after that is iffy. Even going to school and keeping your benefits through the end of your 6 months is iffy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment