Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:20 AM

2,499 posts, read 3,249,049 times

Advertisements

Back in the 1970's the newspapers were filled with Help Wanted ads. I could apply and get hired all in one week.
Thanks for all the well-wishing. This is my first interview in 1.5 years.
No illusions here so keep your collective fingers crossed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 10:44 PM

475 posts, read 648,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapturegal View Post
I'll be thinking good thoughts for you on Tuesday, blazertrek50 We know you can ace this!

Boy, I hear ya about 'simpler times' when getting a job wasn't a marathon of hurdles a person had to jump over.

In 1990 I saw a hand-written 3x5 card on a public bulletin board for a part time office assistant at $5 per hr. Just a phone number and no other details.

I had ZERO office experience and did not type very well {still don't } but I called the number just for the heck of it. They set up an interview for the next morning without asking me one question.

The job was for a leading education consulting firm in a beautiful historic building. The interview was very brief and casual .... they needed someone to answer phones at lunch and hand deliver mail to the legislators at state capital across the street. I wasn't a young thing .... 39 yrs old at the time. The guy asked if I was interested and I said "sure".

I was hired and eventually became head of the Production Department until I retired in 2002 with an very generous profit sharing package.

Ah .... memory lane. Pure luck in a simpler time.

TODAY the same entry level PT "gofer" position I was initially hired for would require a college degree, youth, 5 yrs experience, and 3 grueling interviews with a panel of managers staring at you. I wouldn't get past the first phone call!
Well I received a call on Friday and I passed round one, the telephone interview! My next interview is setup for October 3rd in the company's office with the HR Director (who interviewed me on the phone) and my direct supervisor. Thanks for the good thoughts (prayers)

Old 09-25-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazertrek50 View Post
Well I received a call on Friday and I passed round one, the telephone interview! My next interview is setup for October 3rd in the company's office with the HR Director (who interviewed me on the phone) and my direct supervisor. Thanks for the good thoughts (prayers)
Good luck to ya! Sounds like you have it nailed down!!

Old 09-25-2011, 11:03 PM

475 posts, read 648,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Good luck to ya! Sounds like you have it nailed down!!
Thanks so much and I pray you are right!

Old 09-26-2011, 04:06 PM

This Thursday is the big interview. There will be a drug screen, eye test and some sort of interview process. Thats all they told me..lets see what happens!

Old 09-26-2011, 05:05 PM

190 posts, read 498,306 times
Hummm.... Thursday sounds like a good day to end your run on unemployment! I just know you'll do fine AB.

If you start getting nervous just think of your friends on this board who'd LOVE to switch places with you that day.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapturegal View Post
Hummm.... Thursday sounds like a good day to end your run on unemployment! I just know you'll do fine AB.

If you start getting nervous just think of your friends on this board who'd LOVE to switch places with you that day.
LOL thanks Rapturegal.
Im just going with the flow here. No illusions..whatever happens Im OK with it.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:00 PM

Default Had My Interview Today

The big day has come and gone.
Our "hiring session" started with filling out some extra paperwork and a once-over on the work requirements, background checks etc.
Then the twenty or so men in the room were each scheduled a 20 min. interview.
The panel consisted of the HR lady, and engineer and two managers.
They fired off rounds of questions at me. I did quite well but stumbled on a few tech questions. I believe I left a good impression.
I wont know more until next week. Thanks for the support here on City-Data and good luck to all!

Old 09-29-2011, 07:36 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Best of luck!.

Keep us posted.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:07 PM

190 posts, read 498,306 times
Whew! Bet you're glad that's over AB! I was thinking about your interview today and was wondering how it went. Thanks for the update. Hopefully you'll hear some good news next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment