Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 5,275 times

Advertisements

I am very confused about my UI benefit period and extension. My claim expired by July 2012, but claim balance will be exhaust on Feb.2012. What is going to my benefit after exhaust the claim balance? Can I extend benefit? According to EDD web extension information ( New Federal Unemployment Insurance Extensions ), 1st Tier1 extension dead line is Dec.25, 2011. My claim will expired after this date. Is this mean that I can not extend my claim?? I am very nervous about this. I called EDD, but never go through. I guess this is a very basic question, but so many information are on the web sites and these are little different or old information. Please advice me with latest information.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 12:21 PM

39,000 posts, read 23,001,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tajitaji View Post
I am very confused about my UI benefit period and extension. My claim expired by July 2012, but claim balance will be exhaust on Feb.2012. What is going to my benefit after exhaust the claim balance? Can I extend benefit? According to EDD web extension information ( New Federal Unemployment Insurance Extensions ), 1st Tier1 extension dead line is Dec.25, 2011. My claim will expired after this date. Is this mean that I can not extend my claim?? I am very nervous about this. I called EDD, but never go through. I guess this is a very basic question, but so many information are on the web sites and these are little different or old information. Please advice me with latest information.

Thank you
I asked a moderator to move this thread to the Unemployment forum.

Tajitaji - You may want to repost your question to the correct forum by going here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/unemployment/

Old 11-02-2011, 01:44 PM

25,579 posts, read 56,577,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tajitaji View Post
My claim expired by July 2012, but claim balance will be exhaust on Feb.2012.

What is going to my benefit after exhaust the claim balance?

Can I extend benefit?

According to EDD web extension information

New Federal Unemployment Insurance Extensions

1st Tier1 extension dead line is Dec.25, 2011.

My claim will expired after this date.

Is this mean that I can not extend my claim??
Yes. There are no extensions for you at present.

If you filed a claim in July 2011 and are eligible for 26 weeks state benefits which will exhaust in January or February 2012, under present legislation there are no further benefits available to you.

You need to exhaust your state benefits not later than December 24, 2011 to be eligible for 20 weeks of EUC Tier 1.

Now, although there is Congressional resistance to extending the federal unemployment legislation, it is too early to know what will happen. Politically, given the horrendous labor situation, which will not improve for at least two or three years per Federal Reserve projections today, it seems unlikely that Congress will not do something. Exactly what that will be or when, at this point, is unknown.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-02-2011 at 02:08 PM..

Old 11-02-2011, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,275 times
Ariadne22,
Thank you for your advice. It is very helpful information.
It makes me very nervous. Hope I could find a job before that...

Old 12-30-2011, 05:21 AM

14 posts, read 29,936 times
I need help.. My 26 weeks end in fed 3rd 2012.. Im really trying to find a job and im worried if I dont what will happend so I wanted to know if im eligible for my 1st extension? I just want to know to have a peace of mind.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:00 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,096,855 times
You will advance to tier 1, another 20 weeks

Old 11-15-2012, 03:35 PM

29 posts, read 95,518 times
Still looking for clarity.

I filed my claim on April 27, 2012 and received 26 weeks which just ended. Last week ended November 4, 2012 which I received payment for only 1 week. I received a letter stating that EDD will file my extension for me and no action is required on my part. If eligible, I will receive something in the mail.

My question is, am I eligible based on the latest developments on federal unemployment extensions; and if I am, will I continue to receive payments after Dec 29, 2012? My claim expires April 20, 2013.

I guess I'm a bit confused by the news.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:46 PM

No payments after 12/29/2012, unless Congress extends current legislation. See FAQS, post 6.

There is talk in Congress right now on this issue. I heard Sen. Levin yesterday on C-Span discussing this.

For now, plan on no money after 12/29, until we know more.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingFWD View Post
A little worried sick as I haven't been able to find employment and I have collected my 26 weeks. I received a letter from EDD stating they will auto-file my first extension, if I am eligible I will receive my continued claim forms.

How do I know if I am eligible and how long does it take until I find out?
In CA, the base-year earnings for your claim must either be at least 40x your weekly benefit or at least 1.5x your high quarter earnings, whichever qualifies you. Chances are you are eligible. You should hear from CA within a week, or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment