Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 07:33 AM

32 posts, read 100,362 times

Advertisements

Please be aware, there is no tapering off; if you are approved for an extension, it will end early. No matter what extension you are on, how many weeks you are into it benefits will end.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/F...Extensions.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 07:34 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,732,065 times
If they are not extended

Old 09-14-2012, 07:59 AM

Default They are not going to be extended anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
If they are not extended
They are not going to be extended anymore. People need to know and prepare and not hope for extensions. People need to call their congressman now, not in December.

Last edited by Borderwatch; 09-14-2012 at 08:26 AM..

Old 09-14-2012, 03:37 PM

234 posts, read 686,800 times
if your on tier 1 you will see something next year if your on tier 3 or 4 you might not see anything. there are some that feel you might see 2 extra months if your on tier 4 end of year because government might want to give you heads up warning. the earliest you will know anything is near the end of dec. you might even have to wait a month to see a unemployment check next year. they are going to fight to the death on this budget so know that now try to relax.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:07 PM

92 posts, read 305,511 times
They say the UI rate is based on people looking for work but how do they know you are looking for work unless you are currently collecting unemployment and answer yes to that question? I can name several people I know that are not currently collecting that are unemployed - my niece who just graduated college and can't get a job, my sister in law who left a job for another, was then told to leave after 2 weeks and was denied UI because she didn't work there for at least 8 weeks and my other sister in law who collected for 99 weeks and still can't find a job. Nobody from the government has called to ask them if they are looking for work.
And lets not forgot the underemployed like my husband who is taking a job for half of what he was earning to keep benefits.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:15 PM

Default Very well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajay View Post
They say the UI rate is based on people looking for work but how do they know you are looking for work unless you are currently collecting unemployment and answer yes to that question? I can name several people I know that are not currently collecting that are unemployed - my niece who just graduated college and can't get a job, my sister in law who left a job for another, was then told to leave after 2 weeks and was denied UI because she didn't work there for at least 8 weeks and my other sister in law who collected for 99 weeks and still can't find a job. Nobody from the government has called to ask them if they are looking for work.
And lets not forgot the underemployed like my husband who is taking a job for half of what he was earning to keep benefits.

Seems like 75% of people I know are unemployed or underemployed. Family members who are electricians seem to be doing the best,

Old 09-15-2012, 02:21 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,553,116 times
The government knows this. Underemployment/those no longer looking for work/the unemployed never on the UE rolls bring the "official" number to anywhere between 16-22%.

This disparity between the "official" UE rate and "real" UE rate has been widely discussed on CNN, et al, as well as in-depth many times on C-Span on its Friday "By The Numbers" show - 8:15 a.m. Fridays - where govt data gathering employees/officials and newspeople parse the statistics. Most recent Friday show discussed lack of income growth over the past 30 years for anyone but the upper 20%.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/SCensusB

Old 09-15-2012, 03:15 PM

234 posts, read 686,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajay View Post
They say the UI rate is based on people looking for work but how do they know you are looking for work unless you are currently collecting unemployment and answer yes to that question?
its called a survey but they don't call every home in america. its like the nielsen ratings. the fed, the government, and economist even claim the numbers are higher because people gave up looking even. you defending someone totally incorrect when i told you the right answer.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:14 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,759,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderwatch View Post
They are not going to be extended anymore.
Well we don't know if they're not going to be extended anymore either. Anything can happen between now and December.

But hiring will be slowing soon with the holidays approaching.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:16 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,759,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
The government knows this. Underemployment/those no longer looking for work/the unemployed never on the UE rolls bring the "official" number to anywhere between 16-22%.

This disparity between the "official" UE rate and "real" UE rate has been widely discussed on CNN, et al, as well as in-depth many times on C-Span on its Friday "By The Numbers" show - 8:15 a.m. Fridays - where govt data gathering employees/officials and newspeople parse the statistics. Most recent Friday show discussed lack of income growth over the past 30 years for anyone but the upper 20%.

Census Bureau Report on Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage - C-SPAN Video Library
To be fair, the U6 rate and ShawdowStats rate have always been higher than the official rate.

The numbers are calculated the same way they were in the late 1990s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment