Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 12:14 AM

4 posts, read 10,435 times

Advertisements

I been searching the internet for advice and I stumbled across this website. My situation is that I"m currently working for a retail store making $10 a hour.

I was just hired by a transit company as a Bus Operator and it's going to start off at $16 a hour with plenty of room for growth.

The thing is that to become a full time bus operator I must complete a 6 week training course. This includes daily behind the wheel driving, passing weekly exams and at the end of the course I have to be able to pass the DMV test to obtain my class B license. All of this training is paid for by the company. And at any time if they don't feel that I'm making enough progress they will fire me.

The thing I'm worried about is that I have no experience driving a bus and I don't know that once I start training if I will be able to pass.

I talked to my current job and they told me that they won't be able to hold my job for me because it's the holidays and they will have to fill my position fast.

I have to accept this job because it can lead to great things in my life. I was wondering does anybody know if I accept this job and if I get let go by this company by either failing a test or by not making enough progress will I be eligible for unemployment?

Any answers or advice will be appreciated. I live in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 12:31 AM

162 posts, read 886,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyers22 View Post
I been searching the internet for advice and I stumbled across this website. My situation is that I"m currently working for a retail store making $10 a hour.

I was just hired by a transit company as a Bus Operator and it's going to start off at $16 a hour with plenty of room for growth.

The thing is that to become a full time bus operator I must complete a 6 week training course. This includes daily behind the wheel driving, passing weekly exams and at the end of the course I have to be able to pass the DMV test to obtain my class B license. All of this training is paid for by the company. And at any time if they don't feel that I'm making enough progress they will fire me.

The thing I'm worried about is that I have no experience driving a bus and I don't know that once I start training if I will be able to pass.

I talked to my current job and they told me that they won't be able to hold my job for me because it's the holidays and they will have to fill my position fast.

I have to accept this job because it can lead to great things in my life. I was wondering does anybody know if I accept this job and if I get let go by this company by either failing a test or by not making enough progress will I be eligible for unemployment?

Maybe. I have no idea. Why not take the chance and think positive? You will pass this training and you will change your life. Better to take the chance than to sit at your retail job wondering what could have been.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by student_101 View Post
Maybe. I have no idea. Why not take the chance and think positive? You will pass this training and you will change your life. Better to take the chance than to sit at your retail job wondering what could have been.
I am going to take the job it's just that it took me 16 months to find any job after getting laid off from my previous job.

I don't want to work in retail forever, it's just a stop gap until I get back to wear I use to be.

I just would like to know what I"m getting into.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:37 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyers22 View Post

My advice is not to do it. There is another member on this forum who went to trucking school and could not pass the final driving test. Be content and happy that you already have a decent job. Trust me, greed will kill you. The gamble to make $16 an hour is not worth it. Most likely, you will quit your current job, take the bus driving job, and then fail. The final nail in the coffin will be that you will be denied unemployment because you were terminated. I do not want to see that happen to you, but ultimately the decision is in your hands.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:08 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,079,420 times
Will you be on the payroll while doing this training? Is the pay while in training better than what you're getting paid currently?

Generally, and I say that because of states with different rules, being terminated for inability is not disqualifing. However, leaving a sure thing to try something else can be. One of the things that unemployment cares about in my state is did the new job put you in a better position than you were before. Quitting a job to "train" on your own time is disqualifing. However, if the new company puts you on the payroll while training, and it's better than what you had before, the fact you failed training would be a reason to get unemployment provided you didn't do any misconduct while in paid training.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Will you be on the payroll while doing this training? Is the pay while in training better than what you're getting paid currently?

Generally, and I say that because of states with different rules, being terminated for inability is not disqualifing. However, leaving a sure thing to try something else can be. One of the things that unemployment cares about in my state is did the new job put you in a better position than you were before. Quitting a job to "train" on your own time is disqualifing. However, if the new company puts you on the payroll while training, and it's better than what you had before, the fact you failed training would be a reason to get unemployment provided you didn't do any misconduct while in paid training.
Thanks for the replies everybody. Yes the company puts you on their payroll and the training pay is $12 a hour. Once you pass you go to $16.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:34 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
cant be that hard. i drove a class b with airbrake once for a prior job and i didnt have a class b license and never drove a class b vehicle before.

you have to go under the assumption your going to pass, otherwise you are guaranteed to fail. you get paid during training so why are you even asking this question?

if your so set that your going to fail, stay in retail.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:25 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,079,420 times
The only other thing that isn't mentioned in your post is to determine if you'd be monetarily eligible to collect, but I'll assume you already assessed that aspect, and were only concerned about failing while in training.

I think it's a no brainer. You want the job, you want the potential to earn $16/hr, and the training pay rate is higher than the retail job.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
cant be that hard. i drove a class b with airbrake once for a prior job and i didnt have a class b license and never drove a class b vehicle before.

you have to go under the assumption your going to pass, otherwise you are guaranteed to fail. you get paid during training so why are you even asking this question?

if your so set that your going to fail, stay in retail.
I asked because I didn't know the answer. Thanks for being a useless troll.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:03 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,278 times
Well I don't know anything about passing truck driving school and I am sorry I am also not aware about if you would qualify for unemployment if you don't pass but I will share my story about pass fail training.
I left a job making $10 hour (no growth potential either) for a job starting at $15, paid training for 3 months which was pass/fail. I worked my butt off and passed and remained with the company for almost 12 years until I was laid off. In my case it was worth it.
My feeling is you won't know until you try and I am sure if you set your mind to it you will pass, just try not to get overwhelmed and stay positive.
It wouldn't hurt to call your state unemployment office and ask them your question directly.
Good luck with whichever decision you make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment