Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 05:35 PM

131 posts, read 352,661 times

Advertisements

Back in 2008 I was on UIA and exhausted my regular benefits and was on Tier III of extensions before I found a job. I recently got laid off again and am almost all of the way through my regular benefits. I was told that when I run out, I will go back to the Tier III extension I was on from my '08 claim.

How does this work? Once I go through the extensions on my old claim ('08), will I then be eligible for extensions on my current claim ('11) (if Congress extends the eligibility dates)`?

Does anyone have any experience similar to this?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 05:44 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,104 times
Wait what???

I thought people just started over again from scratch?!

From the sound of it, you'll only allowed to get the extensions tiers once in a lifetime, so luckily you haven't exhausted the 99wks, but if you had, then you would be done when the regular benefits are gone.
So the regular benefits you can get over and over, but the extensions, no?

Old 12-08-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
Wait what???

From the sound of it, you'll only allowed to get the extensions tiers once in a lifetime, so luckily you haven't exhausted the 99wks, but if you had, then you would be done when the regular benefits are gone.
So the regular benefits you can get over and over, but the extensions, no?

Do you know for a fact that you can only go through them once?

From the way I understood it there was a possibility of starting Tier one from a new claim after the tiers from a previous claim were exhausted.

Someone else must have been in this situation and can tell me what to expect?

Thanks

Last edited by jwcd09; 12-08-2011 at 06:16 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 07:14 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post

From the sound of it, you'll only allowed to get the extensions tiers once in a lifetime, so luckily you haven't exhausted the 99wks, but if you had, then you would be done when the regular benefits are gone. So the regular benefits you can get over and over, but the extensions, no?
That is not correct. We have hundreds of posts on this board from people who have cycled from state benefits back to previous tier benefits, back to current tier benefits. It is possible for people to collect multiple tier benefits depending on the timing of their claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcd09 View Post
Back in 2008 I was on UIA and exhausted my regular benefits and was on Tier III of extensions before I found a job. I recently got laid off again and am almost all of the way through my regular benefits. I was told that when I run out, I will go back to the Tier III extension I was on from my '08 claim.

How does this work? Once I go through the extensions on my old claim ('08), will I then be eligible for extensions on my current claim ('11) (if Congress extends the eligibility dates)`?

Does anyone have any experience similar to this?

Thanks
Based on your other posts, you are in Michigan.

Most states, not all - COL and TX being two exceptions - will put you back on any unexhausted tiers from a previous claim after your state benefits from a current claim are exhausted.

Provided you have exhausted your state benefits before December 31, you will revert to your first claim tiers. If Congress does not extend the legislation, you will be able to complete Tier III but not advance to Tier IV.

Many, many people have collected tiers on two claims. The only thing not available to you on your first claim is EB. EB is payable only on the last claim.

If the current claim you have is also eligible for tiers benefits, when your Claim 1 tiers are exhausted, you will then be placed on Claim 2 tiers - again provided Congress extends the litigation. When those tiers are exhausted, MI will advance you to EB on your last claim, provided it is eligible.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
That is not correct. We have hundreds of posts on this board from people who have cycled from state benefits back to previous tier benefits, back to current tier benefits. It is possible for people to collect multiple tier benefits depending on the timing of their claims.

Based on your other posts, you are in Michigan.

Most states, not all - COL and TX being two exceptions - will put you back on any unexhausted tiers from a previous claim after your state benefits from a current claim are exhausted.

Provided you have exhausted your state benefits before December 31, you will revert to your first claim tiers. If Congress does not extend the legislation, you will be able to complete Tier III but not advance to Tier IV.

Many, many people have collected tiers on two claims. The only thing not available to you on your first claim is EB. EB is payable only on the last claim.

If the current claim you have is also eligible for tiers benefits, when your Claim 1 tiers are exhausted, you will then be placed on Claim 2 tiers - again provided Congress extends the litigation. When those tiers are exhausted, MI will advance you to EB on your last claim, provided it is eligible.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully they can agree to extend the dates, since I will only have a couple of weeks on the Tier III benefits from my old claim.

Right now it doesn't look good since the GOP wants to give states the ability to reform unemployment benefits and cut the number of available weeks from 99 to 59 weeks. Here in Michigan they already cut the maximum regular benefits from 26 weeks to 20 weeks, so that would make it 53 weeks and I'm sure if they are given the option to reform federal benefits they will reduce it even further.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:32 PM

Yep, well the consolidation of households will continue at an accelerated pace if benefits are reduced. A retired poster on C-D just had his 36 y/o daughter and her three children move in with them - homeless in CA after a job loss. She's fortunate she had place to go. Many people won't.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:35 AM

Anyone in Michigan go through this and claim their benefits online?

I exhausted my regular benefits when I filed last Monday and they said that they were going to put me back on my old Tier 3 extension from my claim in '08

I logged in to the UIA system this morning since they update their system over the weekend. It states that I have 0 weeks remaining on my current claim, but doesn't say anything about having any weeks of EUC left from my previous claim.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:33 PM

Happens all the time. In the event of multiple claims, benefits are paid as follows:

Claim 1 - 26 weeks state benefits
Claim 1 - Tier Benefits until new claim is established
Claim 2 - 26 weeks state benefits
Claim 1- Remaining Tier benefits from Claim 1
Claim 2 - Tier Benefits if claim qualifies
Claim 2 - EB

Old 12-26-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Happens all the time. In the event of multiple claims, benefits are paid as follows:

Claim 1 - 26 weeks state benefits
Claim 1 - Tier Benefits until new claim is established
Claim 2 - 26 weeks state benefits
Claim 1- Remaining Tier benefits from Claim 1
Claim 2 - Tier Benefits if claim qualifies
Claim 2 - EB
Yeah, I would just feel better if there was something on the website telling me how many weeks I had left of EUC from the first claim instead of just saying I have 0 weeks remaining on the current claim. Just worried about if I will really be getting a check when it comes time to certify next Monday.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:22 PM

I have a friend who says that they heard on the local ABC 12 news here in Michigan, that there is a 10 month limit on Unemployment in Michigan and then you are all done. They made it sound like you wouldn't be eligible for extensions on a second claim if you had previously gone through the extension.

I have looked around and was unable to find anything to corroborate this information, does anyone have any idea if anything like this is true?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment