Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 8,165 times

Advertisements

Situation:
I applied for my first claim on April 17 and I received 26 weeks @ $573.00 with PA IE with an expiration date of March 31, 2012. I am currently on Tier 1 and qualify for Tier 2 because T1 expires on March 31rd. I was told that I must recertfy on April 1st and open a new claim.

Question--

1. If my claim is denied, will I still receive Extended Benefits for Tier 2 since my Tier 1 expires on March 3rd under my first claim?

2. It is my understanding that if I earned 6 X my weekly salary, then I would be able to open a new claim and qualify for another 26 weeks in PA, but I would assume it would be a lower payment. If approved, will I still get Tier 1 & 2 from my initial cliam and when does the 26 weeks of PA start payment?

3. I did earn income from Jan 2011 - April 2011, why is the recertification based on the last six months and not income earned during the above time frame?

Thanks!
Sara

If you have not had eligible earnings during your past benefit year, your "application for a new claim" will be denied, your old claim reopened and you continue to receive benefits on that claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 11:02 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
My comments in bold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpslow View Post
Situation:
I applied for my first claim on April 17 and I received 26 weeks @ $573.00 with PA IE with an expiration date of March 31, 2012. I am currently on Tier 1 and qualify for Tier 2 because T1 expires on March 31rd. I was told that I must recertfy on April 1st and open a new claim.

I assume you mean March 3rd?

Question--

1. If my claim is denied, will I still receive Extended Benefits for Tier 2 since my Tier 1 expires on March 3rd under my first claim?

Yes. If you exhaust Tier 1 on March 3rd, you are eligible to transition to Tier 2 on March 4th. PA should do this automatically.

2. It is my understanding that if I earned 6 X my weekly salary, then I would be able to open a new claim and qualify for another 26 weeks in PA, but I would assume it would be a lower payment. If approved, will I still get Tier 1 & 2 from my initial cliam

Yes, assuming Congress extends the unemployment legislation, you will be able to exhaust Tier 2 because you will have begun it before the legislation expires on March 6th.

and when does the 26 weeks of PA start payment?

Your bye is 3/31, so if your new claim provides a benefit not lower than $100 or 25% of your earlier benefit, your new claim payment will begin with the week ending April 14th, after you have served a waiting week April 1-7.

If your new benefit is $100 or 25% lower than your earlier benefit, under HR4213 PA will defer payment on your state claim until you have exhausted Tier benefits on your first claim, again legislation providing. PA is very good about HR4213 compliance. Tier benefits do not require a waiting week, so those should resume promptly after PA performs the EUC required monetary review.

See:
//www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...g-euc-fix.html

3. I did earn income from Jan 2011 - April 2011, why is the recertification based on the last six months and not income earned during the above time frame?

Recertification is based on any earnings from your former employer not used (i.e., Jan. 2011-April 2011) in your current base year (Jan. 2010-Dec.2010), plus any new eligible earnings during Apr. 2011 - December 2011. The base period for the 'new' claim would be Jan. 2011-December 2011.

However, if you have not worked at a NEW job during your benefit year and do not have new eligible earnings, you will not be eligible for another claim and will continue to exhaust your 2011 claim, legislation permitting.

Thanks!
Sara

Last edited by Ariadne22; 02-04-2012 at 11:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment