Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 12:55 PM

475 posts, read 648,859 times

Advertisements

I have been unemployed since October 27,2008. That is over 43 months and counting!

During this time I have:
- applied for over 1,000 jobs
- interviewed for 25 companies
- gone back to school and attained a BA in Business Management (4 year degree), my GPA was 3.8 (*** laude)
-volunteered for nonprofit organizations, preparing financial reports and financial consulting
- assisted a bookkeeper on a small project

And learned to enjoy my life regardless of my employment status.

I was wondering if any of my long term unemployed brethren would share a synopsis of their journey in the "unemployment wilderness"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 02:59 PM

71 posts, read 250,010 times
Out of your 1000+ applications, have you gotten any interviews or offers? 3 yrs is quite a record and I would consider myself blessed if I could stay that long without caving in to getting a crap job.

18 months here so not quite in the 48 month club....

Old 06-12-2012, 03:05 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,751,842 times
Unemployed since August 15, 2008. First 6 months job hunting in Houston - aced 2 interviews but was not hired, - probably because of budget and bad economic news. There used to be a lot of good Eng / CAD related jobs in Craigslist Houston until Oct 2008, then the jobs dried up. I figured it was going to be a bad economy / job market so in Feb 2009 I moved back into my Parent's house to live rent free. Good move as I saved up a lot of my unemployment checks and now I have $10,000 in a Scottrade Stock account. Also I got back on SSDI, but I'd rather work. I now survive on SSDI, $16 food stamps, and Medicare.

Since moving back to Chicago I did not get a single interview until around May 2011. I went to school to study PLCs and Industrial Controls; if still unemployed in the future I will study Hydraulics and Pneumatics and maybe CNC programming. I probably applied to 1170 job applications.

I get discriminated from jobs for not having "recent experience," another way of long term unemployed job discrimination.

I think I should bypass discriminating recruiter firms by doing independent contract 1099 work.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:16 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,647,955 times
Aside from the carpet cleaning job I had last summer which I may have to take up again since I can't get hired anywhere else, I've been unemployed for all but one month of the last three and a half years. I can't get any job experience because I don't already have a job giving me the required experience, making my chronic unemployment yet another of the millions of self-fulfilling prophecies in this pathetic economy.

There's no telling how many jobs that I've applied to, I stopped counting well into the hundreds. I've had six interviews in the last two years, and none led to an offer. I would think that being a 36 year old veteran with an electronics background, security clearance and two degrees would make me worth more than $10 an hour, but evidently not.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by possibleSecondAct View Post
Out of your 1000+ applications, have you gotten any interviews or offers? 3 yrs is quite a record and I would consider myself blessed if I could stay that long without caving in to getting a crap job.

18 months here so not quite in the 48 month club....
25 interviews, as stated, and not a single offer

Old 06-12-2012, 07:57 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,851,605 times
If you count underemployment, I'm approaching three years. I work part-time now, but have not worked at a full-time job since July of 2009. Have an interview tomorrow though, probably have a reasonably good shot at it.

I'd guess I've had around 30 interviews, maybe a little more. Haven't really tracked it since my UE ran out last summer. No idea how many applications, but probably not as many as some since I always have had places to apply to in my field so I've never really had to go with the "just apply to anything" mentality.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:44 PM

Hey blazertrek50 - how do you survive financially being unemployed so long? Where do you get money? What type of jobs do you apply for?

I apply for Mech Eng, Mech Deisgner, CAD, or Technical Writer jobs.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Hey blazertrek50 - how do you survive financially being unemployed so long? Where do you get money? What type of jobs do you apply for?

I apply for Mech Eng, Mech Deisgner, CAD, or Technical Writer jobs.
Jesse, I am married and my wife has been employed without a break since 2000! I also received unemployment benefits from November-2008 through November-2011 (two claims)! Since I was last employed, my wife's salary has increased from $36K to $50k! You want to "hear" something even more amazing? At her last organization she was the executive director, getting excellent reviews until two new board members decided that they didn't like her (last August). You see she told the President of the Board of Directors that she could not establish meetings with the staff without first informing her (my wife). After this the president and her friend (VP) did everything they could (ethically and unethically) and were on the cusp of firing her, when my wife was offered a job by a far superior organization (as in stable), a bigger staff, and much better support. Oh and my wife sent out three resumes, total before landing her new job. She also turned down their first two offers (salary to low). But that is not how we survive, we survive by faith in our Lord (Jesus) and though it has not been fun I know that GOD is molding me for my next amazing job. I just wish it would come soon

I apply for any job that is financial/accounting/management related. The problem is that my most recent experience is with nonprofits and government organizations (cities and such). So most agencies and companies will look at people with more current experience in their field and who command a smaller salary. I have applied for a few jobs that pay half as much as I used to make (even less) only to be told that they need someone with more recent experience in the industry .

My friends tell me that I am the busiest unemployed person that they have ever known, however now that I am not working on any nonprofit projects (recently finished) I either need to find work, or see if anyone in my church/network could use my specific skills, such as preparing financial reports, consulting or financial master plans.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:24 PM

I try to survive by GOD too, and I go to church every Sunday. I'm mostly a good Roman Catholic with just a bad habit of crossdressing, but I think GOD has ignored my prayers for help or good employment during my current 3.8 years of unemployment.

I applied and I interviewed for some technical writer jobs, but when I ask for a minimum salary of $46.5K to $48K / year they throw my resume away.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:46 PM

382 posts, read 804,833 times
4 years - You gotta be kidding me. Really???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment