Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 04:42 PM

54 posts, read 112,007 times

Advertisements

I took a job and it's not what it was supposed to be. If I quit, can I collect? What do I have to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 04:51 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Depends on your state and "how" this job is "not what you expect." Need more background.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:19 PM

Hostile work environment, everyone walks on egg shells when the boss is around. Never know when she'll start yelling at someone for something. It's crazy.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:15 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quits place the burden of proof on you. From the CT website:

Quote:
9. Can I quit my job and collect Unemployment Insurance Benefits?

The general rule is that a person who voluntarily leaves suitable work without good cause, attributable to the employer, is not eligible for benefits. However, there are a few non job-related reasons for quitting under which a person may be approved for benefits. These include quitting to care for a spouse, child, or parent with an illness or disability, and quitting to escape domestic violence.

For good cause to be attributable to the employer, it must relate to the wages, hours, or working conditions of the job. A change in conditions created by your employer or a breach of your employment agreement which is substantial and adversely affects you may be good cause to quit. Also, if the job itself adversely affects your health or aggravates or worsens a medical condition, it could be good cause to quit.

Regardless of the cause, in most cases, good cause attributable to the employer may only be found if you took reasonable steps to inform your employer of your dissatisfaction and sought to remedy the problem before you left. If you quit, it is your burden to prove that there was good cause for leaving. When applying for benefits, after quitting a job, you will be scheduled to attend a pre-determination hearing to establish whether you had good cause for leaving. Your employer will be notified of this hearing and will be invited to attend or to send in a written statement.

Unemployment Insurance Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
You need to first attempt to rectify the problem in your workplace as stated above. If the problem continues, you will then need to document adverse affects - such as symptoms, a doctor's statement.

The key is document, document, document. CT at least addresses the issue of a "job that adversely affects your health or aggravates or worsens a medical condition."

Expect an initial denial, an appeal on your part, a subsequent hearing, possibly more appeals and hearings. It may take a while and you may not be successful.

Let us know what happens, here.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:36 AM

I had a dr appt scheduled and said I would be late. First, I was told just make up anytime you are out. Fine. The next time I was told that I can't make appt's during work hours, only after hours. How can I do that when the dr hours are 9-5 M-F? There is no company handbook, etc. I asked about sick/personal time and they do say how many days you are allowed. What is good one day, is unacceptable the next day. Weeks ago, she made the other woman cry at her desk, because she couldn't find the correct info in the file. Who needs this?

Old 09-16-2012, 08:52 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie-14 View Post
I had a dr appt scheduled and said I would be late. First, I was told just make up anytime you are out. Fine. The next time I was told that I can't make appt's during work hours, only after hours. How can I do that when the dr hours are 9-5 M-F? There is no company handbook, etc. I asked about sick/personal time and they do say how many days you are allowed. What is good one day, is unacceptable the next day. Weeks ago, she made the other woman cry at her desk, because she couldn't find the correct info in the file. Who needs this?
The short answer is no, under the circumstances you will not be allowed to quit and collect unemployment...

Old 09-16-2012, 09:26 AM

Also told during the interview that the office is very, very busy with no down time. Yet, two days during the week, there is nothing to do. I asked my manager what else can I do.. and he said read a book, there is nothing to do.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:29 AM

and there is a person in the office who "looks me over" and I complained to my manager and hr and they did and continue to do nothing.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:37 PM

234 posts, read 686,354 times
i would not quit and figure for unemployment. i wish you well because you seem unhappy there but it could take a long time to receive unemployment if you even got it and your story is not that outrageous.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:22 PM

426 posts, read 1,908,955 times
The problem is that when you quit , the actual BURDEN is on you to prove you had just cause. I see how your job is a nightmare but you need to start to compile actual evidence that it is a nightmare, or even go to your employers and tell them that you feel uncomfortable.

If they fire you, then the burden SHIFTS to the employer to prove misconduct to deny benefits. So in my opnion I would not quit unless I could produce evidence that you had good cause. Since you have to PROVE it, you will need evidence .

I know that I would simply start screwing up accidently until my employer couldnt take it anymore and fired me. You cant be denied benefits because you couldnt do the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment