Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 03:22 AM

3 posts, read 43,588 times

Advertisements

I have been receiving unemployment benefits and now on my second extension. I just received a letter in the mail stating my benefits are cut due to not being registered on Cal Jobs. I recall that I did register on Cal Jobs. Immediately, I logged into Cal Jobs and found out I'm already registered.

The letter states I was not to receive benefits past February, 2012. I fear they want me to pay back all the benefits I've received since it is now April. I feel this is so unfair. I've already filed an appeal. I am devastated that I've lost my benefits. Today, I learned that I was supposed to post my resume on Cal Jobs every 3 months. I did not know about this. I posted my resume when I first became unemployed and have nothing new to add to it. Has anyone had this same type of experience with EDD? What can be done about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 11:47 AM

445 posts, read 864,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALICAT0000 View Post
I have been receiving unemployment benefits and now on my second extension. I just received a letter in the mail stating my benefits are cut due to not being registered on Cal Jobs. I recall that I did register on Cal Jobs. Immediately, I logged into Cal Jobs and found out I'm already registered.

The letter states I was not to receive benefits past February, 2012. I fear they want me to pay back all the benefits I've received since it is now April. I feel this is so unfair. I've already filed an appeal. I am devastated that I've lost my benefits. Today, I learned that I was supposed to post my resume on Cal Jobs every 3 months. I did not know about this. I posted my resume when I first became unemployed and have nothing new to add to it. Has anyone had this same type of experience with EDD? What can be done about this?
You should post this on the unemployment thread. Ariadne will help you.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:51 AM

3 posts, read 43,588 times
What unemployment thread? Is it on this site?

Thank you.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:12 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
Have one of the moderators move it to the unemployment thread.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 PM

15 posts, read 71,537 times
I was told at a EDD REA meeting you have to access your caljobs account at least every 90 days to continue to collect benefits. They said you would have problems if you did not. Seems like they should work with you so you can start collecting again. Seems a little harsh. I would follow through with your appeal.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:46 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times
Per CA FAQS:

Quote:
When do I need to register in CalJOBSSM?

You should register in CalJOBSSM immediately and update your résumé as needed, but not less than every 60 days. Your résumé will become inactive if you fail to log-in at least every 60 days. Failure to complete or update your résumé in CalJOBSSM may result in disqualification of your federal unemployment extension benefits.
To register with CalJOBSSM, follow the steps below:
  1. Go to the CalJOBSSM website.
  2. In the “Job Seeker” section, select “Register.”
  3. Follow the steps to register for CalJOBSSM.
To add or update a résumé in CalJOBSSM, follow the steps below:
  1. Go to the CalJOBSSM website.
  2. In the “Job Seeker” section, select “Login.”
  3. Post and/or update your résumé.
If you are disqualified on your extension because you did not complete or update your résumé on CalJOBSSM, you will not be eligible to receive benefits until you complete or update your résumé on CalJOBSSM and contact the EDD to re-open your extension.

FAQ - Extended Unemployment Benefits

Old 04-26-2013, 10:33 PM

15 posts, read 71,537 times
I thought I heard the lady say 90 days but it must have been 60. I was in a room full of people so I must have mis heard her. Thanks for the correction.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:47 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelve2 View Post
I thought I heard the lady say 90 days but it must have been 60. I was in a room full of people so I must have mis heard her.
You probably heard right. Other people have been reporting 90 days, as well. Either the CA FAQS is outdated, or they say that on their website and give people a 30-day grace period. Not easy to find this info, actually. The website and pamphlets discuss CalJobs and resumes, but unless you read FAQS, you wouldn't know about the 60(90) day login/update requirement.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:48 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,391,506 times
Honestly, the solution is to just make the site one of your job search options. I always used to make sure to log into the site on Fridays, which was usually a slower job hunt day anyway. Logging in one time per week kept EDD happy, added to my work search (I actually did end up finding a lead on there) and also was a way to make sure this was a requirement I did not fail to meet.

An annoying hoop, yes. But a painless one all things considered.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:32 AM

113 posts, read 393,230 times
The updating of the caljobs resume is one of those requirements that can come back to haunt someone if they aren't aware of the time frame. Especially when you hit extensions. Although my REA appt was pretty fast the whole caljobs resume issue was singled out. Not only will they stop payment for not updating frequently we were told they will also stop payment if every field is not filled out. The new change on Caljobs now includes a much easier way to edit each field and it gives the date and time when you last updated. I do it weekly and use the associated job search three days a week as part of my job search routine. It also shows how many weeks that resume will be viewable to potential employers. You want to make sure you update that resume before that date expires. My understanding about losing benefits over this issue is that it is a temporary loss and once you have updated you have to go through the chain of letting EDD know it is updated and then wait for them to issue payment again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment