Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 12:44 PM

7 posts, read 92,536 times

Advertisements

Brief Summary - Date of unemployment claim: 5/13/12. Benefit year ends 5/11/13. Employed for 4.5 weeks (2/6/13-3/11/13). Had to do the claims examiner interview again to reopen claim on 4/4/13 (during this time the weeks were credited) and received documentation to claim on 4/15/13 and bi-weekly thereafter.

I claim weekly as the money is needed ASAP for bills and family support. I tried to claim today 5/5/13 for week ending 5/4/13 (my bi-weekly file date is 5/12/13) and I received the infamous message that 'certification can not be processed'. I still have another 6 days remaining before 1 year anniversary. Should I assume that I received this message for my 1 year recertification? Obviously, I will call in AM to certify via phone and speak with agent. Any information would be appreciated so hopefully I can sleep a bit better. Thank you in advance.

(FYI - I am 43, with a Bachelor of Science degree, steady work history, and minimum of 7-10 applications a week. I am on unemployment to help maintain some sort of normal family life during this difficult time and not because I want to take advantage of anyone or the system.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 02:07 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Should I assume that I received this message for my 1 year recertification?
Since NJ prefers biweekly claims, this last week before your bye is probably the issue. Technically, since your benefit-year-end is 5/11, you should be able to claim next Sunday, 5/12, for weeks ending 5/4 and 5/11 without a problem.

Let us know what NJ tells you when you call.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:35 PM

Ariadne22 thank you for the information..unfortunately, I am not that confident since I have never experienced an issue claiming weekly and would assume the computer system would reference your end date. However, based on similar posts I am confused as to when the 1 year anniversary notification or NJ takes place. Some have hinted at notification prior to 1 year and some after. Also, it appears that some of the messages received when claiming vary.

I guess my concern is the employer who I was briefly training during February has contested my departure status or the reopening of this claim. If you have any additional information I would greatly appreciate. Also, I will update once I have spoken with an agent.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:10 AM

Update: Recertification was the correct call. Thank You.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:16 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Responding to this on your original thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja5364 View Post
My 1 year anniversary is 5/13/12 and my benefit year ends 5/11/12. I spoke with an agent on Monday 5/6/12 since I was unable to file online on Sunday 5/5/12. She informed me that my issue with online was my benefit year was coming to an end. She reviewed my case and informed me that my claim was unlocked and I would be able to continue to file as usual until my tier II benefits were exhausted then I would begin my tier III benefits. I was under the impression that my recertification was complete and business as usual. Also, she told me the weekly benefit amount I would receive in tier III and Tier IV, (if I get their prior to hitting 73 weeks).

However, when I tried to claim this morning I received the message that my benefit year has expired and no unemployment benefits are available to me at this time. My questions are: Should I be concerned that maybe the agent didn't complete the recertification? Why am I unable to claim my last week ending 5/11/12? If everything is complete will I still lose a week due to this 'Bye'? Obviously, I will have to call in AM, however I am trying to find out if this is normal operating procedure.

Thank You in advance.
You recertified a week prior to your bye. Your claim expired at midnight yesterday. Your new benefit year actually begins today. Today is a Sunday, not a business day. NJ's computers are not updated on the weekends. Computers operate on chronological dates and logic. Your account probably has not yet updated - if, in fact, the actual recertification process was done last week. It is possible the mechanics of the recertification will not take place until this week - after the bye. Because of this, your recertification will not be effective until 5/13, earliest, possibly longer if NJ's computers don't actually start the recertification process until after the bye - even though you talked to a rep a week ago.

I assume you are still waiting for your payment for week ending 5/4?

Also, NJ normally operates on a biweekly claim schedule. I still think it is possible claiming every week has confused NJ's normal biweekly claim payment programming, which is why you couldn't claim last Sunday. I know NJ allows weekly claiming, but I suspect the computers are not always able to handle weekly claims too close to the bye.

Let us know what NJ says.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-12-2013 at 11:24 AM..

Old 05-14-2013, 05:14 AM

I called yesterday afternoon and was informed that the only reason I received the on-line message was because NJ computer system was down Sunday thru Monday morning not allowing itself to update.

Also, the agent said that they prefer to receive phone calls one week prior to the end of the benefit year so that the recertification process can be completed early allowing the recipient to continue receiving UI benefits without interruption.

Thank you for all your advice..

Old 05-19-2013, 11:03 AM

4 posts, read 30,763 times
Ninja5364, I am in an identical situation that you experienced last week. Tried claiming this morning and received the "cannot process, need to call" message. My benefit year is due to expire next week 5/25/13 and I am 11th week of Tier 2 EUC. (NOTE: I am also on unemployment to help maintain/support some sort of normal family life). Just trying to determine exactly what your experience was and if it was due to system being down or end of benefit year that required you to call.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:08 AM

Ericb333...at the end of your 1 year you will need to call a NJ reemployment center to recertify. However, from my experience you my call up to one week prior to your 1 year anniversary.

From what I was told, since I recertified on 5/6, the computer system should have automatically updated on 5/12 the day after my benefit year ended on 5/11. However due to computer issues on Sunday 5/12 and Monday 5/13 this did not occur.

One note of interest, the agent was quite clear that although many practices are the same for everyone such as: recertification, there are many practices that are individual such as: length of claim.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:35 AM

4 posts, read 30,653 times
Your post have made things a lot easier for me today. Last sunday I went online to claim my weekly benefits and received the infamous certification message. I called in Monday and spoke with a rep who said that she recertified me and processed my payment and told me that I would be able to resume claiming online next week, I received the payment on Wednesday as scheduled. Today (the following sunday) I went online and received a message that my claim expired! Panic mode!!! My claim opened on May 27,2012 so I am assuming that my new one will start on May 28th? Have you found that to be the case with you? Should I be worried or is it normal for there to be a gap? My worry comes in bc it is not yet May 27th and already I am getting an expired message. Should I call or just keep checking. What has your experience been?:con fused:

Old 08-18-2013, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 16,960 times
Hi All

I got that same message today I am total wreck. What should I do I had $3400 on my claim last week and on tier 2. I am a wreck my husband is on total disability and our children are also disabled also. They cut us off food stamps a few months before the 22% cut within my ub I am wreck someone please help with any info.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment