Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 04:14 PM

6 posts, read 8,140 times

Advertisements

I have never filed for unemployment before, and from what I have read on the EDD webpage, it appears to me I would be better to wait until October to file. I am out of work, stressed, and don't have much savings. Any aid in answering this question would be greatly appreciated.

I worked full time from the end of May until the beginning of July. I then left that job for a better job where I worked mid July until the first week of September and then was let go. I need all of these earnings to apply, because prior to this I only had two, separate/ at different times, much lower paying jobs totaling only three months of employment.

From my understanding, if I wait until October to file, my most previous work will be included. If I file now, that entire quarter will be excluded, leaving me barely any earnings to apply towards unemployment. Is this correct? Should I wait one more week to apply?

Like all of you, I have tried to contact EDD to no avail. It's beyond frustrating. I'm confused, lost my job, and will be out of money in short order. Suggestions on when to apply are GREATLY appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 04:50 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Your exact situation discussed today, here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...it-til-my.html

Old 09-23-2013, 05:06 PM

Edit: so if I want July and August of this years income to apply, I need to wait until October 14th to apply? I will have been out of work for five or six weeks by then, will that affect anything?

Also, is it correct it takes one month to receive your first check from the date you applied?

Thank You for the reply.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd12345 View Post
In the original post you linked, the individual is currently employed and is about to be let go. I was let go from my employer two weeks ago. And I'm still unclear as to if I should apply immediately or wait until October? That is all I would like to know. Thank you
Irrelevant. Your question was:
Quote:
From my understanding, if I wait until October to file, my most previous work will be included. If I file now, that entire quarter will be excluded, leaving me barely any earnings to apply towards unemployment. Is this correct? Should I wait one more week to apply?
Doesn't matter if you lost your job two weeks ago. You can file anytime as long as you have earnings in your base period to support a claim. That's the whole POINT of the question. When to file to get the best benefit.

Read that thread. Read my responses carefully. Base years are explained. Check out your earnings and file when you will receive the best benefit. You clearly didn't read anything I wrote on that thread. Your situation is EXACTLY the other poster's. Date you lost your job means nothing. Only thing that matters is earnings in your base year(s).

Old 09-23-2013, 05:27 PM

I edited my initial post after reading through the rest of the replies. I'm just in a state of panic right now. On the EDD base period diagram, it doesn't say anything about "weeks" of the month when you file your claim. Where is this information to be found? Clearly then I will need to wait until October to have my most current income apply. But where does it say anything about applying in the middle of October having any affectvas opposed to filing October first?

Old 09-23-2013, 05:29 PM

Nowhere. You find this out later when you get a claim that is too small and don't qualify for EUC. Many states backdate their claims, not just CA. This is a KNOWN FACT. Just go with it.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:32 PM

In the thread you linked you said "says, file 2nd week in October"....so why wait until the second week of October rather than October 1st?

Old 09-23-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
In the thread you linked you said "says, file 2nd week in October"....so why wait until the second week of October rather than October 1st?
Again, you didn't read my earlier responses carefully enough. Here is your answer - from the other thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Because if you file first week in Oct., CA will exclude a quarter's earnings - it backdates claims to Sunday of the week you file.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:02 PM

That makes more sense, but EDD says you're claim is considered filed the Sunday of the week you apply. It doesn't say anything about being "back dated"; so I would assume if I applied on Tuesday October first, it would be filed Sunday the 6th.

I appreciate the input. I might be over analyzing this, I'm just panicking. In order for my earned wages to qualify I will need to wait another three weeks to apply, then probably another month to see my first check. I hope I can make it that long.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
That makes more sense, but EDD says you're claim is considered filed the Sunday of the week you apply. It doesn't say anything about being "back dated"; so I would assume if I applied on Tuesday October first, it would be filed Sunday the 6th.
Go right ahead and "assume" that and you would be WRONG!!!!! And with CA's current computer mess, you'll never get them to refile on the correct date.

Further, weeks BEGIN with a Sunday and END on a Saturday. Or do you use a different calendar?

We've got a ton of threads on this board discussing this issue ad nausem from people all upset about their small claims and not qualifying for EUC in CA, but I don't have time to look for them now.

Do as you please, but you will be WRONG if you don't wait until at least October 6 to file.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment