Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2013, 08:13 AM

50 posts, read 89,778 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Here is my situation. At the end of August, I was terminated from my position for poor work performance. I had only been there a few months. I was at my previous employer for over 4 years. In the termination letter, it said, "You are eligible for New Jersey unemployment insurance." The HR director also said that day that the company wouldn't contest my unemployment claim. She says they only contest if the person does something blatantly wrong.

I filed for unemployment and got a letter in the mail scheduling me for a fact finding appointment saying, "You may have been separated for misconduct in connection with your work." I called the HR director at my old company, thinking they were disputing my claim, and she said that is just standard procedure in NJ and again said the company wasn't going to contest my claim.

I had my interview this morning. The company never sent the form back, and the claims examiner called the HR Director and asked her if she would be participating. I heard the HR Director say, "There is no need. We're not disputing the claim." The claims examiner asked me about the terms of my separation. I told her what happened. The job was a lot more difficult than what was in the job description when I signed on, plus the person who was supposed to be training me was only a temp and doesn't come in half the time, so I was on my own. I said anyone would have had a tough time under those circumstances. She also asked if I had been put on a PIP plan or given any written warnings and I said no. She also asked if I was actively looking for work. I said yes.

I am just worried by what the claims examiner said at the end. She said that within 2 weeks, I would receive the letter from unemployment determining my eligibility. She said to me, "If your benefits are approved, you will get checks for the previous 4 weeks. IF you are denied, feel free to appeal." Is there any reason my benefits will be denied? Does the claims examiner just have to say that? Are they just not allowed to tell you on the phone if you are approved or not? The company didn't even dispute my claim. I am just worried because I have never been through this before. I'd appreciate any advice on this. Thank you.

Last edited by RRusso1982; 09-26-2013 at 08:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 01:42 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRusso1982 View Post
I am just worried by what the claims examiner said at the end. She said that within 2 weeks, I would receive the letter from unemployment determining my eligibility. She said to me, "If your benefits are approved, you will get checks for the previous 4 weeks. IF you are denied, feel free to appeal." Is there any reason my benefits will be denied? Does the claims examiner just have to say that? Are they just not allowed to tell you on the phone if you are approved or not? The company didn't even dispute my claim. I am just worried because I have never been through this before. I'd appreciate any advice on this. Thank you.
The examiner's statement is routine and told to everyone after an interview if you read reports from other NJ people. We have two current reports, here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...mployment.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...mployment.html

One individual received (unjustly) a seven week disqualification, the other hasn't heard, yet. Your situation is not similar to theirs, but what the claims examiner told you and the process are the same.

No, there is no reason, based on your comments, why you would be denied. Yes, the claims examiner "just has to say that." No, they are not allow to tell you on the phone if you are approved or not.

You will be getting a letter - at the outside - in two weeks. Now, you wait.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:26 PM

OK. Thanks. Sorry I didn't see those. I just worry now. On the NJ Unemployment website it says my claim has been pended.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:48 AM

Well, I went on the NJ unemployment website today. Now it looks like my claim was approved. It shows me being paid for the last 5 weeks. That was fast.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:05 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,087,064 times
No, that's slow. It totally defeats the purpose of UI when the state waits that long. They should have been paying you starting the second week. If they later concluded that you shouldn't have been paid, they can try to collect the overpayment. If the state is so worried about getting the money back, then they should process these claims faster.

I think you should fire off a complaint when you're done collecting benefits so that you don't risk retaliation, but this isn't right.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:02 PM

Well, there are many states stalling around these days before they pay benefits. Interviews are taking 3-4 weeks from date of application and determinations a week or two after that. Clearly, there is a concerted effort around the country to delay unemployment benefit payments.

The people who should hear about it are your state legislators. Depending on the political climate in your state, the complaints will or will not fall on deaf ears.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:50 PM

Ariadne, I read your answer to another thread on here, that NJ is always siding with employers these days. I thought New Jersey was one of the most employee friendly states in the country when it came to unemployment.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,041 times
i moved from nj to ga,i filed a claim via internet. i received a letter saying that i had to have a phone interview,then i received a letter saying i should claim my benefits. i claimed the benefits for about 5weeks,then i had a phone interview,when its all said and done i was denied my benefits. im going to appeal their decision,do you think I'll get my benefits. my boss put in for me to collect what should i do.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyceHolmes View Post
i moved from nj to ga,i filed a claim via internet. i received a letter saying that i had to have a phone interview,then i received a letter saying i should claim my benefits. i claimed the benefits for about 5weeks,then i had a phone interview,when its all said and done i was denied my benefits. im going to appeal their decision,do you think I'll get my benefits. my boss put in for me to collect what should i do.
Why did you move to GA??? Did you quit your job?? If so, you need good reason to quit and collect benefits. Most states won't pay if you quit unless you fit one of their "good cause" reasons.

Your comment "when all is said and done i was denied my benefits" tells us nothing.

Please post EXACTLY the wording in the letter from NJ - and WHY you no longer have the job in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment