Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 07:42 AM

25 posts, read 34,549 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Currently I was on Tier 2 up until Dec. 28, 2013 and still had 7weeks left on Tier 2 before it ended.

I am coming up on my Benefit Year End date, Feb.9, 2014. I called after many attempts and actually got two different answers. One customer service agent, said do nothing because I did not work at all during 2013. Another agent, told me to file a "new" claim on Feb.10, 2014.

What would you do? I dont want to lose the rest of my Tier 2 if Congress does ever pass the EUC benedit extensions. I know I will be denied if I open a new claim in Feb. because I have not worked. Yet, will my claim from 2013 become void(even though there are still uncollected EUC benefits from Tier 2 on it), if I don't do anything?

Any suggestions??

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 01:43 PM

25,595 posts, read 56,610,008 times
Quote:
will my claim from 2013 become void(even though there are still uncollected EUC benefits from Tier 2 on it), if I don't do anything?
Your 2013 claims does expire - but you do NOT lose rights to EUC from that claim. Since you've been collecting EUC from the 2013 claim prior to the expiration of that claim, those unexhausted benefits remain for you to collect even after the bye - legislation permitting.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:55 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,748,220 times
File the new claim ---- even if you didn't work in 2013, you may still be entitled to some EUC. Also, continue certifying for benefits every single week so you will get all the money due to you once Congress gets this thing straightened out.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
File the new claim ---- even if you didn't work in 2013, you may still be entitled to some EUC.
Filing the claim does nothing to retain EUC to which she has already established entitlement. Once EUC is begun it remains available as long as legislation permits. The only thing that matters now is if Congress extends legislation. She can file a new claim on February. She'll denied if she hasn't worked. Filing that claim won't make a hill of beans difference to her EUC eligibility on the expired claim.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:53 AM

If I am understanding correctly, the best thing is to do nothing and not file a new claim. I did not work and already know I will be denied.

However, in NJ we are not able to continue claiming our weekly benefits( those of us on EUC since Dec. 28). If Congress does past the extension for 2014, do you think I will be able to log on and start filing for the uncollected benefits I have on Tier 2 on my original claim?(even though my BYE is Feb. 9, 2014). Thank you.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisana View Post
If Congress does past the extension for 2014, do you think I will be able to log on and start filing for the uncollected benefits I have on Tier 2 on my original claim?(even though my BYE is Feb. 9, 2014). Thank you.
Probably not immediately. Check the NJ website for how you are to proceed.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:38 PM

Ariadne22- thanks very much for your replies.!

Old 01-31-2014, 09:38 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,748,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Filing the claim does nothing to retain EUC to which she has already established entitlement. Once EUC is begun it remains available as long as legislation permits. The only thing that matters now is if Congress extends legislation. She can file a new claim on February. She'll denied if she hasn't worked. Filing that claim won't make a hill of beans difference to her EUC eligibility on the expired claim.

Well, my BYE ended recently and I had to file a new claim. I filed the new claim online and, at the end of entering all my info, a message said that I had to call the Telephone Claims Center to complete the claim.

I spoke to a rep who said said I wasn't entitled to a "new" claim (new benefits) since I didn't work in 2013 but since my Benefit Year Ended, I would have to complete the new claim in order to get the EUC when and if Congress passes the extension.

I'm not sure what state the OP is in or if things are different in each state but this is what happened to me. I'm in NY.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:48 AM

Wow, very interesting. NY had you file a new claim. Same situation, as I did not work in 2013 either. What led me to post my original question was that I did call NJ twice, and got totally different answers to the same question! Doesn't surprise me, NJ UI customer reps are awful, from my expierence.

Thanks for your help, I will most likely try to call again soon after my BYE, see what they say at that point.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:24 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,091,365 times
FYI JIC:
My sister in CA had her BYE run out in January. She did not work all of 2013 and had been on EUC, which was cut off along with millions of others. She still had uncollected money in EUC.

She refiled to "keep her hand in" should Congress extend EUC (this was prior to Ariadne's post above). Of course, got a letter saying no money left from original claim, but they sent a 2-week claim form anyway, which she returned.

Now a letter: "You have received all benefits payable on your claim. You may qualify for extended benefits. If you qualify, the claim will automatically be filed. No action is needed on your part. You will be notified by mail of your eligibility."

Unsure if refiling after her BYE helped or not, but it did not seem to hurt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment