Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 03:33 PM

132 posts, read 220,794 times

Advertisements

I think the Senate will pass the bill tomorrow, if Sen Harry Reid don't act stupid. If the Democrats, allow the cuts and swallow their ego, the House Republicans will pass the bill. I don't like that, but there no other choice, until November 4, 2014. A year of extended benefits will help a lot of families,

Old 01-12-2014, 04:25 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,726,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dell1972 View Post
I think the Senate will pass the bill tomorrow, if Sen Harry Reid don't act stupid. If the Democrats, allow the cuts and swallow their ego, the House Republicans will pass the bill. I don't like that, but there no other choice, until November 4, 2014. A year of extended benefits will help a lot of families,

Hey anybody I just went onto the NYC.gov site and I can't claim. Last week I was able to claim even though there was no payment, now it only has the File a New claim option. It seems like a bad sign. have other people been unable to claim this week?

dell1972 are you sure there will be a decision tomorrow?
I was about to apply for welfare tomorrow, Monday. It takes 45 days to get approved. I don't know what to do. I can pay my bills till the end of January but not to the end of February.

I'm reading this>

Quote:
Blog: Reid open to GOP amendments on unemployment benefits extension

January 12, 2014
Reid open to GOP amendments on unemployment benefits extension

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) says he is now open to considering Republican amendments to a bill extending emergency unemployment benefits through most of 2014

It's possible this will all work itself out by the end of the week and a vote will be taken. Swift passage in the House is likely given the number of Republicans who have already indicated they will support it.
^^^^ Here they say "by the end of the week"

I could hold out until Tuesday but I'm afraid to wait beyond that because if they wait to later in the week that's pushing a 45 day wait up further for Public Assistance and that bill might not pass.

The only justifcation I see for waiting is if this article is accurate when they say :
" Swift passage in the House is likely given the number of Republicans who have already indicated they will support it."

Just last week I was reading how it was unlikely to pass the Republicans.
Can we trust these articles? Do the accurately reflect a change in the Republicans view where it is really on record that they said they will support it with some offsets? What if the offsets are no go for Democrats?

Yes I'm looking hard for work but I need more time or go on public assistance

Old 01-12-2014, 06:46 PM

Update: I was just watching 60 minutes and there was a little news brief between stories saying the extension will be decided on tomorrow (mon 1/13/14)
hope it's Monday

The Long-Term Unemployment Benefits Vote: Use the "F" Word

Quote:
The Long-Term Unemployment Benefits Vote: Use the "F" Word
Sunday, 12 January 2014 09:21
By Dave Johnson, Campaign for America's Future | Op-Ed

Filibuster. Use the word. Call it what it is. Succeed or not, Republicans are trying to filibuster the effort to extend unemployment benefits for the long-term unemployed. A majority want this to pass, but Republicans are trying to block it with a filibuster. If Democrats are able to break the filibuster and pass this in the Senate, it goes to the House, where Speaker John Boehner will likely refuse to allow a vote because a majority supports it there, and it would pass.
This is obstruction. Use the word. It is a pattern the country is now painfully familiar with.
Economic Sabotage
Economic sabotage. Use the words. The Republican strategy of economic sabotage and obstruction rolls along: More than 440 filibusters so far in the Senate since President Obama took office and continual refusals to allow votes in the House. All of these have hurt the economy.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:44 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,738,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Hey anybody I just went onto the NYC.gov site and I can't claim. Last week I was able to claim even though there was no payment, now it only has the File a New claim option. It seems like a bad sign. have other people been unable to claim this week?

You don't claim unemployment benefits on the NYC.gov website. You claim through the NYS Unemployment website http://labor.ny.gov/unemploymentassistance.shtm

Old 01-12-2014, 08:53 PM

15 posts, read 21,786 times
"The Democratic officials said the first tier of additional benefits would be six weeks, and be generally available to all who have used up their state eligibility."

"They said an additional six weeks would be available in states where unemployment is 6 percent or higher; an additional nine weeks in states with joblessness of 7 percent or higher; and 10 more weeks in states where unemployment is 9 percent or more."

I live in Ky but have a interstate claim in Ohio. I was receiving tier 2. But the Unemployment rate in Ohio is not 6% or higher. So does this mean even if the bill is passed I will not be able to receive any further UI?

Old 01-12-2014, 09:04 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,545,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJustice03 View Post
"The Democratic officials said the first tier of additional benefits would be six weeks, and be generally available to all who have used up their state eligibility."

"They said an additional six weeks would be available in states where unemployment is 6 percent or higher; an additional nine weeks in states with joblessness of 7 percent or higher; and 10 more weeks in states where unemployment is 9 percent or more."

I live in Ky but have a interstate claim in Ohio. I was receiving tier 2. But the Unemployment rate in Ohio is not 6% or higher. So does this mean even if the bill is passed I will not be able to receive any further UI?
Triggers apply to the 3-month UE rate for the state which is paying your unemployment - not the state in which you live. However, Ohio's current UE rate is 7.4%. Where are you getting 6%???

Unemployment Rates for States

If extensions are enacted, because you have already begun Tier 2 which paid 14 weeks, you will be able to exhaust those 14 weeks.

Anyone first establishing eligibility for Tiers 1 & 2 after 12/28/2013 will receive 6 weeks for each tier - or whatever Congress determines is the new entitlement for that tier - triggers permitting.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:15 PM

Ok thanks, I am not sure exactly what website I seen the rate for Ohio. The website said the Unemployment rate in Ohio was around 3%. I have been reading tons of articles, watching key capitol hill hearings, and just keeping my fingers crossed. I'm 29, a former U.S. Marine and this is the 1st time in my life I have ever been on U.I. At this point just hoping that the Senate and the House will put their differences aside and do the right thing. Not only for myself, but for the other 1.3 million Americans out there who have worked their whole life and paid into these benefits. Thanks for the clarification "Ariadne22 "

Old 01-12-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
You don't claim unemployment benefits on the NYC.gov website. You claim through the NYS Unemployment website Unemployment Insurance - New York State Department of Labor
that's what I meant labor.ny.gov
the place where I've been claiming for over a year,
The claim weekly benefits option is no longer working, just file new claim
Yet if the extension is reacactivated I thought they would pay retroactively the past two weeks an would be keeping that option open in that event

Old 01-12-2014, 09:44 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,605,626 times
Senate Calender --- 2pm--- Mon 13th continued debate on 2014 extensions

Old 01-12-2014, 10:12 PM

I just went to the website www.senate.gov and wrote e-mails to both of the Senators from my State of Kentucky. Both of which are republicans. One of which is the Minority leader and prob a waste of time. But the other Rand Paul who changed his statement last week to quote "With regard to unemployment insurance, I’ve always said that I’m not opposed to unemployment insurance, I am opposed to having it without paying for it"

I encourage everyone to either call or e-mail your senators especially if they are republicans who are either against Extending U.I. or who are on the fence like mine Rand Paul and remind them that they are there to represent and be the voices of the people of their state. Thanks and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment