Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 04:47 PM

14 posts, read 23,346 times

Advertisements

Personally I have a claim open. All 4 of my friends and 1 family member who have ever claimed benefits with the state of Arizona have all at some point during their claim received letters saying there was an "issue" with their claim. While this issue is unresolved the state does not pay benefits.

1 week ago I got the same letter asking about my ability to work full time... Saying that I need to tell them if I am able to work full time. Until that's processed, who knows how long that will take I do not get ANY benefits for weeks claimed.

Same thing happened to everyone I know who has claimed with the state. They try to come up with reasons to not pay people their rightly earned UC benefits.

IMO Arizona is one corrupt POS.

One question. I went over the statues and didn't notice anywhere that gives DES the right to freeze benefits for unresolved issues. Disqualifications yes, but not unresolved issues.

Where in the law do they have the ability to do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 07:27 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,264,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwizard4504 View Post

One question. I went over the statues and didn't notice anywhere that gives DES the right to freeze benefits for unresolved issues. Disqualifications yes, but not unresolved issues.

Where in the law do they have the ability to do that?

This is in the written literature that the state publishes that they are required to resolve eligibility issues before making payment for claimed weeks. Of course they shouldn't dally in their determination, I'm sure there are regulations out there stating the time frame that they have to adhere to re: eligibility determinations.

If they are taking too much time to give you a written determination, it is more likely due to large caseloads backing up, laziness of the examiners, or perhaps confusion on their part as to the appropriate regulations that apply to your claim. That isn't good, but I really doubt that it has anything to do with corruption.

http://www.azlawhelp.org/documents/Unemployguide.pdf

Old 12-29-2013, 07:29 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,089,688 times
You'll get the benefits AFTER the issue is resolved. I know it doesn't seem fair, but here's what you can do to while you're benefits are suspended. You go apply for every social service available: food stamps (snap), AHCCCS, TANF, LIHEAP, you can get a low income discount of between $10 and $17/mo with SRP/APS, you can then use your SNAP award to get an approx $10/mo on your phone bill with Lifeline through Qwest/Cox.

Technically, with that letter your income is effectively $0/mo, and you qualify for a whole bunch of that listed stuff. It's a blessing in diguise. I had my benefits tied up with an issue the same as you, and it took me 363 days before I saw a nickle. It would have been far cheaper for AZ to pay me unemploment benefits in a more timely manner, but instead I got $200/mo in SNAP, $8500 in energy home improvements, $600 in LIHEAP, the utility and phone discounts, and then when I finally got my unemployment, I still got to keep all that other stuff, but had I had the unemployment, I wouldn't have qualified for the other stuff. So turn lemons into lemonade.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:32 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
So, OP, how long have you been collecting?

Some states have their own peculiar methods to delay payment, but usually benefits are not stopped midstream unless you have an employer objection to the claim.

An "investigation into your ability to work full-time" sounds ludicrous, unless you have not yet begun to collect and this is part of AZ's approval process - or your employer has lodged an objection.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:59 AM

416 posts, read 536,237 times
In June of 2013 the income requirement was raised from 1,500. per quarter to 3,000. per quarter. What that means is that you have to make above minumum wage and work at least 40 hours a week to be able to collect unemployment. Even though you may have had enough earned under the old law in a couple of quarters you now can not collect. Since alot of people in this state work part time or for low wages this really screws the low income again.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:22 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,535,868 times
not according to my calculations. Someone earning minimum wage (7.25) 40 hours a week for 52 weeks will earn 3770 per quarter.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:46 AM

416 posts, read 536,237 times
The second sentence in my post verifies your correct math. What I was trying to say is that they changed the law raising the income level but will not allow people to collect even though they had earned enough income in quarters right before the law was changed. My friend had earned enough in the two quarters prior to the law change but they have been disqualified. What is a bigger problem here is that many people have to take a part time time job and a large portion of those are seasonal. Companies here will hire you, use you and then do what they can to make you quit or cut your hours until you are moved out. Others will hire you part time and then never give you a set schedule so you can`t get another part time job. When the income level was at 1,500. at least you had something to fall back on. Not anymore. I don`t know how people are getting by here. It`s crazy with the high prices and wages that are the same as back in the early 80`s. Of course if are getting a "check" this is great place to live.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:28 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,535,868 times
Can your friend appeal the decision? Is there still time left to do that? If so, I highly suggest they do so. Doesn't sound fair, but much in life isn't.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:50 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Similar to TX, NC - AZ is very claimant unfriendly state. Forget about an appeal in AZ. There is no way he would win an appeal - especially if the statute is specifically written to include any wages earned prior to the new law, which it apparently is. Sounds like AZ is trying to disquaify seasonal and migrant workers, primarily.

The only way to win this is to challenge the law itself in the AZ SC.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:42 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,089,688 times
https://www.azdes.gov/main.aspx?menu=317&id=4245

That is the table that's used. It definitely makes it so that the 20 hr/wk minimum wage crowd is now excluded from the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment