Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,550 times

Advertisements

I looked and I can't find an answer to my problem anywhere. But first I want to thank all the incredible people who help other people on this thread. Over the last 5 months of unemployment I have found many answers by searching the forums. THANK YOU.

So my problem: California: I filed a claim on 8/16/13 after being laid off from my job with no hope of being rehired. My waiting week was the week of 8/18/13 through 8/24/13. Then benefits started.

I moved to Illinois on October 15th. No problems with that part. California knows I moved and kept paying.

I accepted a full time job offer and started December 23, 2013.
Week 12/22/13 to 12/28/13 - 39.25 hours = enough money to disqualify any payment that week.
Week12/29/13 to 1/4/14 - 40 hours = enough money to disqualify any payment that week.

Bam - I was fired the morning of 1/6/14 because "I did not have the skills for the job". I am an Accountant with 15 years experience. The business owner was angry I couldn't close his books for the year 2013 in 3 days. That is simply not possible. There was no gross misconduct. It just didn't work out I guess.

Anyway, Those two weeks happened to be perfect fall in my two week continued claim form. I just mailed back the form and was honest about my wages for both weeks and said I was no longer working because I was let go.

My fear? I really need to file my next claim and just continue on like nothing happened with this two week job but I have a suspicion California won't let me without having a phone interview like when I first filed. I can't wait 4 to 6 weeks from now to get money like when I first filed. I live unemployment check to unemployment check now.

Do you think I will be able to login and e-certify on my next date of 1/19/14? and get paid on the debit card as usual? Or am I just in la la land

I truly appreciate any insight or thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 06:57 PM

25,603 posts, read 56,675,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalAndIL View Post
I was fired the morning of 1/6/14 because "I did not have the skills for the job". I am an Accountant with 15 years experience. The business owner was angry I couldn't close his books for the year 2013 in 3 days. That is simply not possible. There was no gross misconduct. It just didn't work out I guess.

Do you think I will be able to login and e-certify on my next date of 1/19/14? and get paid on the debit card as usual? Or am I just in la la land
No, you won't be able to certify.

Claims are closed when a week goes by without payment of benefits. You will not be able to reopen this claim without calling CA. CA will need to conduct an investigation on the job separation to determine if there was misconduct on your part. Fyi, failure to perform up to employer's expectations is not misconduct unless it can be prove to be wilful.

It's gonna be a while, I'm sorry to say. A few weeks, at least.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:19 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,208,015 times
The thing to stress is that you MUST call to reopen the claim. I don't think you can do it online, and I don't think putting on your paper claim that you were discharged will do the trick.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:54 AM

2 posts, read 1,550 times
Thank you so much!! I will use the how to get a live person tip and call them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment